Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Belkin has introduced the PowerHouse, a new 2-in-1 iPhone and Apple Watch charging dock with both a Lightning-to-USB cable and magnetic charging cable included for $99. PowerHouse serves as a cheaper and smaller-sized plastic alternative to Belkin's existing 2-in-1 dock, the Valet, released earlier this year for $129.

Belkin-PowerHouse.jpeg

PowerHouse is compatible with all Apple Watch models, and the iPhone 5 or newer. The dock uses Belkin's proprietary VersaCase dial that can adjust the height of the Lightning connector to allow for the PowerHouse to be used with virtually any iPhone case. The dock delivers a 2.4A charge for iPhone and 1A charge for Apple Watch.

PowerHouse is available now on Belkin's website and at select retailers worldwide for $99.

Article Link: Belkin Launches 2-in-1 iPhone and Apple Watch Dock With Both Charging Cables Included for $99

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Would have been nice if they would have used a different mount for the watch to enable nightstand mode.. But I'll probably still buy it.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Why not just use the Nightstand app on the phone? I mean, it is right next to the watch when in this dock.

I like the adjustable Lightning connector, my first thought was how useless this will be with a case, and then they showed it moves. Still not sure it will work with higher protection cases, but at least they made the attempt and solving that problem.

Reactions: ogun7 and temna

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Finally. I've been waiting for an all in one solution that doesn't require me to buy/use/route my own cables or use two outlets/usb ports.

Looks good.

jga85

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2014
Would have been nice if they would have used a different mount for the watch to enable nightstand mode.. But I'll probably still buy it.

Doesn't the screen shut off automatically after a few minutes on nightstand mode? Having to flick the stand everytime you want to see the time doesn't sound like the most ideal thing anyway.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Doesn't the screen shut off automatically after a few minutes on nightstand mode? Having to flick the stand everytime you want to see the time doesn't sound like the most ideal thing anyway.

True, but I can just touch the screen and see the time if I need to.

jga85

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2014
True, but I can just touch the screen and see the time if I need to.

gotchya. i wish they had a setting to allow the watch screen to stay on while in nightstand mode.

with that being said, pressing the home button on your phone that is in the dock sounds just as "convenient"

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
gotchya. i wish they had a setting to allow the watch screen to stay on while in nightstand mode.

with that being said, pressing the home button on your phone that is in the dock sounds just as "convenient"

True, but my phone screen tends to be MUCH brighter, not the best thing when you're trying to fall asleep.. lol!

Even worse, my iPad Pro screen.. 13" of night light..

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho

All I have to do is bump my bedside table lightly with my hand and it turns on. For me this is a LOT better than hitting a home button, or leaving my phone display on all night.

So I still wait for a nice watch dock that allows nightstand mode. The few that are out there are awful...

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
All I have to do is bump my bedside table lightly with my hand and it turns on. For me this is a LOT better than hitting a home button, or leaving my phone display on all night.

So I still wait for a nice watch dock that allows nightstand mode. The few that are out there are awful...

Exactly. I find the watch in nightstand mode is very sensitive, slightest movement will light the screen (with clock & alarm time). Quite easy to check the time.

Reactions: pichael

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Wouldn't buy it right now not knowing how it'll work with the new iPhone 7 or new Apple Watch. We can assume it will work fine but it's safer to wait and be sure.

I don't care about Nightstand mode. Never use it with my watch even though my stand supports it. Don't like knowing what time it is until the alarm goes off. Keeps me from having trouble going back to sleep when I wake up 30 minutes before the alarm goes off.

ChadKerley

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Kentucky
Why not just use the Nightstand app on the phone? I mean, it is right next to the watch when in this dock.

I like the adjustable Lightning connector, my first thought was how useless this will be with a case, and then they showed it moves. Still not sure it will work with higher protection cases, but at least they made the attempt and solving that problem.

Got one of these a few weeks ago as part of a test group and your first thought is spot-on. It is worthless for any phone that has a semi-protective case. Although the Lightning connector moves somewhat, the placement won't work if your case has a "flap" or "door" that covers your Lightning port (think Lifeproof, OtterBox, etc.) or is thicker because of a back-mounted battery pack as there is no room for the protrusions. The door or battery makes the phone tilt precariously away from the stand and leaves the phone entirely supported by a flexible Lightning cord--not ideal by any means. I found I could turn my phone around "backwards" and get it to rest somewhat properly on the stand, but that defeats the purpose of being able to see the screen while the phone is on the dock. Good idea, bad execution for my needs.

Reactions: bflowers

Dahveed 1954

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2015
True, but my phone screen tends to be MUCH brighter, not the best thing when you're trying to fall asleep.. lol!

Of course that's all on you. If you chose a darker lock screen image you can make it as dim as you wish.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Belkin's customer service is atrocious. Products are decent, but they lack in customer support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.