Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Belkin today announced a new range of charging cables, called the Boost Charge made with DuraTek collection. The company said these cables were built with durability and strength in mind, and each one comes with a leather strap for organization.

belkin-new-cables-v-strong.jpg

There are four total cables in the collection: one Lightning to USB-A, one USB-C to USB-C, one USB-C to USB-A, and one USB-C to Lightning. Prices range from $24.99 to $34.99.

Each cable comes in two color options (white and black), while the USB-C to USB-C cable includes a pink color option. For the basic Lightning to USB-A cable, you can choose between 4ft, 6ft, and 10ft sizes.

The USB-C to Lightning cable supports fast charging on iPhone, which can charge up your iPhone 8 or later by up to 50 percent in 30 minutes. All the cables in the new range are touted as having a strengthened design that lasts 10 times longer than standard cables.

The new cables are available to purchase now on Belkin.com, but some of the cables haven't gone live for purchase yet. The Boost Charge cables will also be on Apple.com.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Belkin. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Belkin Launches New Collection of Durable Lightning, USB-A, and USB-C 'Boost Charge' Cables

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Tax & shipping brings it up to 19.73
For a single cable and if you are already a Prime member:
Prime + Anker > Monoprice

Anker prices have been creeping up a bit lately. I still love their stuff, but it's not the smashing good deal it used to be. For example, an equivalently durable 6ft lightning cable is $20 from Anker when it isn't on sale.

I generally do this: If I need the cable urgently, then I Prime it. If I'm putting in an order at Monoprice for other stuff, then I'll take a look around and see if I need any extra charging cables and throw them in with the order.

Monoprice used to have this metal braided lightning cable - they don't seem to carry it anymore. That this is truly durable.

Reactions: sydneysider88

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I just picked up a lightly used 2018 11" iPad Pro early last week, I need to pick up a longer USB-C.

Heads to Amazon to look for Anker... Thanks MR commenters.

The Anker USB-C I picked up on Amazon was amazing. Braided, in its own pouch with a magnet latch.

Reactions: imola.zhp

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
These overpriced cables don't even support USB 3.0. This is the sort of thing only tourists would buy at an airport after forgetting their cable at home.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
These overpriced cables don't even support USB 3.0. This is the sort of thing only tourists would buy at an airport after forgetting their cable at home.
To be fair how often are most people actually using a lightning cable for anything but power at this point?

cb3

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
I bet my kids could destroy these in a minute as with most other cables. I'm thinking of hiring them out as product durability testers. I should just start a subscription to the "cable of the month" club.

These look nice - maybe a bit high in price.

Reactions: TheWatchfulOne

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I have a box of cables and I hate them. Whatever comes with the device I bought will have cables. All different connection sizes (big, little, small, fat, skinny, circle, square, flat, pointed, extended, female, male). It is just too much! Not spending $35 bucks for another one.

Reactions: Bignotsmall

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
After seeing many posts here I can tell that cost is one of the most important reason people in the US may or may not buy this item which brings back to light one of the main points when buyers order cables from China which is to cut corners on cost so they can get a lower price to sell at a lower price. Keep this formula in mind.. For every dollar difference in price the price goes up by $4. From $5 cost the retail price at $20 changes to $24 if it increased by $1 from $5to $6. Most buyers and companies usually don’t want to add Thunderbolt 3 due to cost.

Bignotsmall

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2018
After seeing many posts here I can tell that cost is one of the most important reason people in the US may or may not buy this item which brings back to light one of the main points when buyers order cables from China which is to cut corners on cost so they can get a lower price to sell at a lower price. Keep this formula in mind.. For every dollar difference in price the price goes up by $4. From $5 cost the retail price at $20 changes to $24 if it increased by $1 from $5to $6. Most buyers and companies usually don’t want to add Thunderbolt 3 due to cost.
Well, people would rather spend the money on Anker. Spending over $30 is over doing it.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Monoprice used to have this metal braided lightning cable - they don't seem to carry it anymore. That this is truly durable.

Those are pretty much banned by reputable brands after Target was forced to recall metal USB cables. People got shocked when they got tangled in wall outlet prongs.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Well, people would rather spend the money on Anker. Spending over $30 is over doing it.

Anker does not make their own USB cords. There are a couple of manufacturers in China that OEM for them and often Belkin has them OEM for them as well. What the manufacturer makes for them and what goes inside the cables depends on what their engineers from both sides agree on. Anything over 3 feet long and performance numbers/levels drop. The longer the more expensive too. Often manufacturers use the shortest cords to quote performance specs or don’t tell you what length they used to get those numbers. A company like Belkin can not use the knock off chipset for usb cable to be MFi compliant with Apple. Because they use the real chipset they have to fork out 3 times more of what a USB cable without the Apple MFi would cost.
[doublepost=1562896653][/doublepost]
Those are pretty much banned by reputable brands after Target was forced to recall metal USB cables. People got shocked when they got tangled in wall outlet prongs.

Two reasons. The buyer wanted to save money on cost so they used the cheaper thinner cables on inside and did not have the better and thicker wrapping on inside as the outside coil that they had was made for cheaper models. The buyer did not want to fork out extra money to open new mould for new outer covering. It all comes down to cost and buyers wanting to cut down on cost so they can sell them at a lower price. The new import rate now stands at 32%. 7% previous duties plus the new 25% totals 32% for the cables (Those that think these prices are too high can thank Trump).

Reactions: 0388631
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.