Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
This has been reported on MacCentral as well as my own site (thetechpub.com)... Berklee College of Music is requiring all incoming students for the school year starting in the Fall of 03 to have Mac laptops.

You can read the entire story either here or here.

Enjoy.
A

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
this is a very interesting note... not necessarily surprising or unknown. but interesting to see outside sources saying it:

DO NOT PURCHASE A COMPUTER OR SOFTWARE AT THIS TIME. Computer technology changes at such a rapid pace that we expect Apple Computer to release more powerful models of its Macintosh laptops by the start of Berklee?s Fall semester. Additionally, we are making special arrangements with Apple Computer and music software manufacturers to provide the specific items that support our curriculum at exclusive discount prices to Berklee students. The best prices will be set during the summer.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
yes very interesting.....

For the purpose of student federal financial aid, the amount of $2,500 has been included in the ?Cost of Attendance.? Further financial aid information will be provided at the time of aid application.

I wonder if they're speculating on new machines or they're in the know....

and $2500 is more than an iBook.....so changes to the PowerBook line by fall.....

D

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I figured some people here would be fast to pick up on that... ;)

I had to pull the entire thing from Berklee's site and put it on mine... Not just paraphrase it as MacCentral does. I'd rather give people ALL the information then just a smattering.

Anyone else bothering to check out the rest of my site?? Just wondering. :D

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
well just to point out...the 2500$ federal funding increase is standard max for a computer or computer equipment. Thats what was automatically added to FAID for law students here (who wanted it) even though the dell was like 2185. [no, i DO NOT have a dell]

but i doubt that is any kind of indicator for the cost/price changes for Mac laptops.

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
im sure it will include some software, but again, its the limit for federal FAID for computers/computer equipment/software, just like the 18500 is the max amount of federal stafford loans.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
Originally posted by dukestreet
yes very interesting.....

For the purpose of student federal financial aid, the amount of $2,500 has been included in the ?Cost of Attendance.? Further financial aid information will be provided at the time of aid application.

I wonder if they're speculating on new machines or they're in the know....

and $2500 is more than an iBook.....so changes to the PowerBook line by fall.....

D

the 2,500 number is just so berklee can have one number. students may either buy an ibook or powerbook and if they choose to include it in there berklee finances they have 2,500 to do that with. it doesn't at all necesarily mean that there will be new powerbooks at all anyway. They had this up for quite some time and they want incoming fall students to wait to the last minute because obviously new computers are coming out all the time. plus berklee works out bundle deals with apple every year so they are just advising to wait for that.

also, i do not believe the 2,500 includes software, i think thats sepearte though i'm not 100% certain. i suppose it also depends on what kinda of computer you get...buy a 1600 ibook and you could use that for software, buy a 2,500 powerbook and the rest is up to you.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Good for Berklee that they are using the Mac. When will the rest learn that the Mac is the Computer of the future? Probably will be to your advantage to wait till late summer to purchase your Mac. Does the school sell the Mac or do you use University Computers?

mikulashek

macrumors member
at first I thought, that sucks that students would have to use an apple, but then I realized that many campuses require only pc's and some don't even allow mac on the network, so it sounds pretty fair now, good to see that apple is building up on eht education department agian now.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
keep in mind berklee is a music school. which you can only really use macs for...at least 99% of the industry does. sure protools is out for xp but who wants your computer to crash while your doing an important mix. for music os x is simply amazing and using a brick would get you just about as far as a pc would. all of berklees labs are macs and they want all there students to have macs. thats about 800 macs a year if they pull it off!

thepannist

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
I know...

I am actually a Berklee student who has worked in their computer store. I am very familiar with the program. I think it is great. There is quite a good deal on the high end 15" powerbook (whatever model it is at the time). What it basically comes down to is that you buy a powerbook with applecare and get a 10 gig iPod for free. Pretty cool. We are also installing airport all over the school, so airport cards are included in the computers. I think it is all very cool, as many of our labs (my major in particular) are still running B&W G3's. We also have a great deal on a MOTU 828, Fastlane and DP4 for 1000 bucks. Too bad I am graduating, and already have all the equipment I neeed....

Chris

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
hey pannist? do you know if there is any cheaper upgrade to dp4 (if you already have dp3) through berklee? i so need that program but i don't have 150 right now. you know of any berklee discounts going on?

thanks

thepannist

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Not yet

I don't know of any yet. Are you a berklee student? If so, I think the update is free if you bought dp3 through berklee (that was the deal that I remember hearing). If not, Sorry. I will have to pay close to 400 for the upgrade from audiodesk (I don't have DP3), so at least you aren't the worst off!

Chris

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
yes i am a berklee student. well i bought dp3 through the deal they had with the 828 and fastlane through sweetwater. and that was in september. is that technically through berklee?

thepannist

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Sweetwater Deal

From what they originally told the people working at the store, you should get a free update if you bought the sweetwater deal. You should go down and talk to one of the guys down there and see if that is still valid.

nighthawk

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Many music applications such as the VST Instruments for Cubase REQUIRE a G4 to run, it might be that it is highly recommended to get a Powerbook G4 than an iBook... however, many of those plugins still do not work in OSX, so there is another "Quark" delimma for the music industry. Hopefully, more developers will get their act together and finish up the ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.