Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Warren Buffett's holding company Berkshire Hathaway nearly quadrupled its stake in Apple stock to 57,359,652 shares last quarter, according to an SEC filing disclosed today. Its stake in Apple was worth nearly $6.7 billion as of December 31, and over $7.7 billion today if the shares are still held.

warren-buffett.jpg

Berkshire Hathaway disclosed a nearly $1 billion stake in Apple last May, which led the iPhone maker's stock to soar 9% once the investment became public knowledge. Apple stock has been on the rise since then, closing at an all-time high of $135.02 today just nine months after setting a 52-week low of $89.47 in May 2016.

Apple and Berkshire Hathaway are the world's most and fourth-most valuable companies respectively based on their market capitalizations.

Article Link: Berkshire Hathaway Nearly Quadrupled its Stake in Apple Stock Last Quarter

Reactions: macfacts

rybitron

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2015
Over and over again, he teaches how to follow in his footsteps, but it's so hard for so many of us to do it like him. Impressive.
It's almost self fulfilling. Warren Buffett announces he thinks apple stock prices will go up. He invests lots of money, the price goes up.

If I announce that "company x" stock will go up and I invest in its stock, it seems to always go down.

Brandhouse

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2014
Didn't the bloke a while back cry that the sky was falling for Apple, then everyone got scared and said that Warren said so it has to be true when he dumped shares?

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Surprising as Warren Buffett tends to avoid stocks in technology and healthcare companies. I suspect one of his underlings is pushing for it...

Reactions: Avieshek

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Surprising as Warren Buffett tends to avoid stocks in technology and healthcare companies. I suspect one of his underlings is pushing for it...

Yeah, but Apple is one of those rare technology companies with almost unassailable brand equity and a business model that's pretty straightforward. Fits within his philosophy.

Reactions: chrisbru

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
So basically as of today Berkshire Hathaway has as much money as the world population. :eek::p

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
And yet, the MR bros are assuring us that the firm is somehow in trouble and Tim Cook must be fired.

Just start an hedge fund, guys!
[doublepost=1487112432][/doublepost]
PUMP AND DUMP! PUMP AND DUMP! PUMP AND DUMP!

It's the oldest trick in the book. He knows Apple sucks, but realizes dumb people still think Apple is going to push something out of Timmy's "pipeline".

You know very little about Buffett's modus operandi. He rarely "dumps", and holds basically forever his picks. That guy was Icahn.

Last edited:

niceandeasy

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2017
Although they've hit some road bumps as of late in the long-term it is probably a safe bet. It's not like someone's going to come out of the woodwork and dominate the phone market after all.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Good point. Mr. Buffet while famous for eating his own dog food, IIRC also owns a jewelry store chain. Maybe if someone points it out to him, he will wear one on his other wrist...

I know he owns a stand-alone jewelry store in Omaha called Borsheims. He probably at least owns stock in one of the big chains. We live in Omaha and bought a couple of shares of 'B' stock (around $100.00 at the time) In Berkshire Hathaway, his company. Once a year there is a stock holders meeting and most of the brands and stores he owns have discounts for stockholders, even the ones with the cheap stock. Borsheims and Nebraska Furniture Mart are the 2 big draws, but there are others.
[doublepost=1487113329][/doublepost]And he used to avoid electronic and software companies, since he didn't understand them, but he and Bill Gates have become pretty good friends. They meet in Omaha about once a month and Mr. Gates has been advising him on tech stocks. I can't see Bill Gates advising him to buy Apple, however.

Reactions: 69Mustang

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Apple and Berkshire Hathaway are the world's most and fourth-most valuable companies respectively based on their market capitalizations.
publicly listed companies*

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
I know he owns a stand-alone jewelry store in Omaha called Borsheims. He probably at least owns stock in one of the big chains. We live in Omaha and bought a couple of shares of 'B' stock (around $100.00 at the time) In Berkshire Hathaway, his company. Once a year there is a stock holders meeting and most of the brands and stores he owns have discounts for stockholders, even the ones with the cheap stock. Borsheims and Nebraska Furniture Mart are the 2 big draws, but there are others.
[doublepost=1487113329][/doublepost]And he used to avoid electronic and software companies, since he didn't understand them, but he and Bill Gates have become pretty good friends. They meet in Omaha about once a month and Mr. Gates has been advising him on tech stocks. I can't see Bill Gates advising him to buy Apple, however.

Money is money to an investor there is no playing hero versus villain when it comes to money, just more or less of it. :)

Reactions: chrisbru

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Money is money to an investor there is no playing hero versus villain when it comes to money, just more or less of it. :)

When you already have more of it than any person on the planet, indeed, probably more that 99.9 percent of all of the people added together, and you're 86 years old (but apparently in good health) what's the point? I concede- he wins.

His is the stock I wished I had been able to buy in the early 70's.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
So basically as of today Berkshire Hathaway has as much money as the world population. :eek::p
Yes, and that's just the Apple Stock they have.
[doublepost=1487114106][/doublepost]
And he used to avoid electronic and software companies, since he didn't understand them, but he and Bill Gates have become pretty good friends. They meet in Omaha about once a month and Mr. Gates has been advising him on tech stocks. I can't see Bill Gates advising him to buy Apple, however.
Microsoft bought Apple Shares back in the 90's to keep Apple afloat. They do sell Office:Mac too, as well as Visual Studio for Mac.

Plus, they're a good idea farm.

SarahKirschbaum

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2016
If I'm put in charge of Berkshire Hathaway, I will attempt to
purchase as many Apple stocks as possible. I will not stop
until I acquire at least 50.1% of Apple.

Or is that a very bad financial decision? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.