Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KettyKrueger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
UK
Hi all,

Been hitting the search and found that the Western Digital Scorpio Blue 1TB is a popular choice amongst MBP owners.

Will this have any issues with the SMS? Also, can I expect any increase in heat and vibration, as opposed to the stock drive?

Finally, I've heard a few people say that the bottom plate doesn't sit flush due to the extra height of the drive (12.5 - 9.5mm), is this true?

Thanks in advance.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I think it's the only widely available 1TB 2.5" HD. Most people are fine with it, I'm not aware of any heat or vibration issues. All unibody Macs can take 12.5mm HDs so it will fit fine.

justaregularjoe

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2008
I think it's the only widely available 1TB 2.5" HD. Most people are fine with it, I'm not aware of any heat or vibration issues. All unibody Macs can take 12.5mm HDs so it will fit fine.

Just about to order mine; neat coincidence. NewEggers are colon-capital-D about the drive in unibody macs.

The only time I have heard of the non-flush bottom plates was in the case of a MBP Pre unibody 15 inch. (People could just get it to fit.) And another dude who got it in apparently by leaving out the mounting bracket designed to hold the drive down.

I am very excited to have access to alllll of my media even when on the road.

sandylp

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
Just about to order mine; neat coincidence. NewEggers are colon-capital-D about the drive in unibody macs.

The only time I have heard of the non-flush bottom plates was in the case of a MBP Pre unibody 15 inch. (People could just get it to fit.) And another dude who got it in apparently by leaving out the mounting bracket designed to hold the drive down.

I am very excited to have access to alllll of my media even when on the road.

I put it in my 13" MBP without any issues. Did not have to leave out the mounting bracket. Just make sure you have the #00 Phillips and Torx 7 or 8 screwdrivers. (I just got a mini-screwdriver kit for around $10.) It was really easy once I had the correct tools.:)

justaregularjoe

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2008
I put it in my 13" MBP without any issues. Did not have to leave out the mounting bracket. Just make sure you have the #00 Phillips and Torx 7 or 8 screwdrivers. (I just got a mini-screwdriver kit for around $10.) It was really easy once I had the correct tools.:)

:( Got the hard drive out of the case just to practice; did not realize I needed a Torx. Is that just for the hard drive mounting bracket? If so, where can I procure one of these mini-screwdriver kits? (Live in Canada, BTW.)

sandylp

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
:( Got the hard drive out of the case just to practice; did not realize I needed a Torx. Is that just for the hard drive mounting bracket? If so, where can I procure one of these mini-screwdriver kits? (Live in Canada, BTW.)

I couldn't find one at Home Depot. I got mine at Frys Electronics. I think you'd have to go to an electronics store or online. The #00 Phillips works for taking the screws out of the back, but you'll need the Torx for removing the mounting screws from the corners of the old drive so you can put them into the new drive. I put the drive in without the screws, and it worked, but I then got a Torx screw-driver kit and opened the computer again and put the screws on the new drive. You'll see that there are little inserts where the mounting screws sit so that the drive is secure. I think I used a #00 Phillips for the mounting bracket. Pretty easy.:)

animan

macrumors member
May 1, 2010
The flat end of precision screwdriver (size 1/16) also works for removing the screws on the drive... if you cannot find the torx. Just be gentle with it and be careful not to strip the screw. Firm gentle pressure and then turn, worked for me.

mstier09

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
I also couldn't find the Torx screwdriver when installing my SSD. In my case just a simple pair of needle noes pliers worked fine. Just got a tight grip and got the screws started, was able to use my fingers after that.

justaregularjoe

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2008
I also couldn't find the Torx screwdriver when installing my SSD. In my case just a simple pair of needle noes pliers worked fine. Just got a tight grip and got the screws started, was able to use my fingers after that.

The flat end of precision screwdriver (size 1/16) also works for removing the screws on the drive... if you cannot find the torx. Just be gentle with it and be careful not to strip the screw. Firm gentle pressure and then turn, worked for me.

Sweet; I have both of these on hand so I have hope. :D

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.