Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haruhi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Click for photos

A few days ago, when my 2nd gen ipod touch was low on battery, weird shadowy dark patches started appearing. I thought it was just something weird that was happening because the battery was low so I fully charged it but the patches are still there.
There is also a very bright dot right at the top of the screen.

It has a screen protector and a hard case and I have not dropped it, it hasn't been in too much sunlight, or near a heat source or got wet, etc
It isn't on the screen protector, I have taken that off and they are still there!

I can see everything clearly through the dark patches, it is just like patches of the screen are very dark and shadowy compared to the rest.
When I adjust the brightness of the screen the dark patches don't seem to change at all, they are still there.

Overnight the patches have been steadily increasing with a few new ones appearing around the screen and growing.

The pictures are ones I took on the settings app and flashlight app.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Take it back to Apple, hopefully they will do something about. If you explain as you have done here, and are served by a Genius in a good mood they may well do it for free.

Haruhi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Nearest apple store is a good 70 miles away and I have no plans of going to those places anytime soon :( Can't really risk it.

Does anyone know what this is?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Had a quick Google and it seems that its a problem with the LCD screen (obvious I know). If it is out of warranty and you are comfortable with small screwdrivers then you could buy a screen and replace it yourself. Obviously if you are still in warranty then it would be best to let Apple do this.

Haruhi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Ouch I wouldn't like to do it myself and I'm out of warranty now.
I really don't know what to do, it bugs me when I use my iPod :confused:

applemike

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
I had this problem with my 2G ipod touch.

I took the digitizer off with an apple screen remover tool, instructions are on Youtube.

i then proceeded to replace my LCD with a brand new one, about £20.

this solved the problem, basically, crap can easily get into an iPod touch if you've had it for a while.

Simple job if you know what you are doing, and there are plenty of online guides (iFixit for example)

the red dot at the top? where is it? on the screen, or part of the top of the iPod itself?

asking because there is an ambient light sensor that the top of ipod touches that this could be.

:apple:Mike

OGDaniel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
Arizona
You could look around on Google for one of those certified Apple Reseller companies that fixes iPods and Macs and stuff, and see if a screen replacement would be worth it. That is of course, if you really feel uncomfortable doing it yourself. It is a simple procedure, and there isn't much you could do to mess it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.