Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Is this a new feature of Big Sur?

When you plug in a power cord to an ios device it makes a sound and has done for years.

But I never noticed it on a mac.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems now on Big Sur it is making that ios sound when I plug it in - as if it is an ios device.

AMP12345

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2016
Weird, I wonder if it's a bug in regard to the system making that noise not knowing it's a MagSafe device or if part of simplifying the underlying code all battery devices will make this noise in macOS 11.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Weird, I wonder if it's a bug in regard to the system making that noise not knowing it's a MagSafe device or if part of simplifying the underlying code all battery devices will make this noise in macOS 11.

Yeah. So weird in fact I had to pull it out and plug it in again. Thought I was going crazy!

No. I'm not crazy. It made the noise again - with magsafe!

I think it might not be a bug.

A new feature of Big Sur - ios sound for magsafe!

Reactions: AMP12345

AMP12345

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2016
Yeah. So weird in fact I had to pull it out and plug it in again. Thought I was going crazy!

No. I'm not crazy. It made the noise again - with magsafe!

I think it might not be a bug.

A new feature of Big Sur - ios sound for magsafe!

IDK, when I switch from a Late 2013 MBP 15" to my MBP 16" that noise confused me the first few times as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.