Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanx. super!!! Hooray!!! so I did everything right.
I will look for how to fix with Wi-Fi
Wi-Fi has nothing to do to NVMe. Perhaps your AirPort is one from MP4,1 that is not supported anymore. Buy an Apple AirPort Extreme BCM94322MC, $10 on eBay.

Reactions: dustwashere

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I beg your pardon.

and apologize again.
I will look for information. at 10.13 high sierra works without problems
Mojave removed support for all MP4,1 AirPort Extreme cards, Atheros and Broadcom. Do a search, this is throughly documented.

You have to buy one from MP5,1, Apple AirPort Extreme BCM94322MC.

Woof Woof

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2004
Just another data point for the IO Crest PLX card: A third user on reddit reported the same crashing that I experienced when copying large files. The problem appears to have gone away since he installed a second blade on the card. Not definitive proof, but looking more and more like the card has problems with just one blade installed.

On a side note, both his and my card arrived with the wrong screws to hold the blade in place.

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018

flooglehorn dinglebop

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2019
Firmware 2B2QEXM7 for 970 EVO Plus seems to be macOS compatible, it's one of the 2 corrections:

"firmware 2B2QEXM7 can correct a performance problem of the SSD 970 EVO Plus whose throughput was sometimes less than expected. A compatibility issue with macOS would also have been fixed."

To upgrade, you download the ISO for the firmware upgrade Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_2B2QEXM7.iso and use Rufus/UNetbootin to create a USB key and then boot from it to upgrade the firmware.

People on tonymacx86 already have instructions for both:

Hi tsialex,

To update the firmware do you know if it would be easier to put the 970 EVO plus into an external adapter (USB, seen a bunch of them on Amazon) and plug it into a Windows PC to run the updater (Samsung Magician or whatever it is)?

I'm sure I could figure out the tonymacx86 method but it seems like doing it on a Windows PC would be failsafe, assuming that you can update firmware on an external NVMe device …

Thanks

Just adding an edit: I'm running a non EFI GPU so I may have an issue with UNetbootin. I could run it on my laptop but then I will still need to put the 970 Plus in an external enclosure in that case.

Last edited:
Reactions: zedex

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
To update the firmware do you know if it would be easier to put the 970 EVO plus into an external adapter (USB, seen a bunch of them on Amazon) and plug it into a Windows PC to run the updater (Samsung Magician or whatever it is)?

I'm sure I could figure out the tonymacx86 method but it seems like doing it on a Windows PC would be failsafe, assuming that you can update firmware on an external NVMe device …

Thanks

Just adding an edit: I'm running a non EFI GPU so I may have an issue with UNetbootin. I could run it on my laptop but then I will still need to put the 970 Plus in an external enclosure in that case.
A firmware updater probably requires access to PCIe registers, therefore a USB stick wouldn't work. You need a M.2 NVMe slot or a PCIe card M.2 NVMe adapter or a Thunderbolt to NVMe M.2 adapter.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi tsialex,

Thanks

Firmware updates don't work via USB or Thunderbolt, you need to install via PCIe.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Firmware updates don't work via USB or Thunderbolt, you need to install via PCIe.
But Thunderbolt is PCIe. Devices connected via Thunderbolt use standard PCIe drivers. Does the updater check the connection for latency or something?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
But Thunderbolt is PCIe. Devices connected via Thunderbolt use standard PCIe drivers. Does the updater check the connection for latency or something?
Didn’t work via TB when I tried to upgrade a 960EVO, searched Samsung and found a support article somewhere warning about this.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Didn’t work via TB when I tried to upgrade a 960EVO, searched Samsung and found a support article somewhere warning about this.
Did the device appear at least in the firmware updater? What was the error message? I can't find the support article.

flooglehorn dinglebop

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2019

Thanks for the info. I guess i'll have to find a PC to do it, assuming there is no way to choose the UNetbootin USB without a boot screen. I guess I could put my old EFI GPU back in to run it (better check if it supports Metal).

I'm guessing running the UNetbootin off a USB 2 port isn't an issue? And what's the chance that I could just buy a new 970 Plus that has updated firmware already: I guess that would be hard to know in advance.

Edit: or I could just buy a new 2019 Mac Pro to do the update and the put it back in my 2010 model ha ha!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Did the device appear at least in the firmware updater? What was the error message? I can't find the support article.
It was over a year ago, Magician didn’t detected the 960EVO in the TB M.2 case. Booting from the ISO updated didn’t work either, had to install via PCIe to do the firmware upgrade.
[doublepost=1559693611][/doublepost]
Thanks for the info. I guess i'll have to find a PC to do it, assuming there is no way to choose the UNetbootin USB without a boot screen. I guess I could put my old EFI GPU back in to run it (better check if it supports Metal).

I'm guessing running the UNetbootin off a USB 2 port isn't an issue? And what's the chance that I could just buy a new 970 Plus that has updated firmware already: I guess that would be hard to know in advance.

Edit: or I could just buy a new 2019 Mac Pro to do the update and the put it back in my 2010 model ha ha!
Samsung firmware upgrade has nothing to do with METAL, that’s a requirement of Mojave MP5,1 EfiFlasher.

You can burn a CD with the ISO of the firmware and boot from it too, after you install your original GPU.

flooglehorn dinglebop

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2019
It was over a year ago, Magician didn’t detected the 960EVO in the TB M.2 case. Booting from the ISO updated didn’t work either, had to install via PCIe to do the firmware upgrade.
[doublepost=1559693611][/doublepost]
Samsung firmware upgrade has nothing to do with METAL, that’s a requirement of Mojave MP5,1 EfiFlasher.

You can burn a CD with the ISO of the firmware and boot from it too, after you install your original GPU.

Thanks. I just meant if I wanted to install the old GPU the machine won't work if it's not Metal compatible (just checked and it's a 5770 so it's not unfortunately). Wouldn't I need a boot screen to boot from a CD too?

I might just install an older version of Mac OS on another internal drive, boot from that with the 5770 installed and do the firmware update then revert back to my other system. Assuming that I can still read the NVMe device in the older version of MacOS, or I can find an installer. Maybe finding a PC will be easier.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks. I just meant if I wanted to install the old GPU the machine won't work if it's not Metal compatible (just checked and it's a 5770 so it's not unfortunately). Wouldn't I need a boot screen to boot from a CD too?

I might just install an older version of Mac OS on another internal drive, boot from that with the 5770 installed and do the firmware update then revert back to my other system. Assuming that I can still read the NVMe device in the older version of MacOS, or I can find an installer. Maybe finding a PC will be easier.
High Sierra works with 144.0.0.0.0 and works with HD 5770 too, use it. After you have flashed the 970 EVO Plus with the compatible firmware, install your METAL GPU and then install Mojave.

flooglehorn dinglebop

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2019
High Sierra works with 144.0.0.0.0 and works with HD 5770 too, use it. After you have flashed the 970 EVO Plus with the compatible firmware, install your METAL GPU and then install Mojave.
Thanks. The problem now is getting High Sierra now that the old OS's don't show up in the App store. Is there something like Mojave patcher to download High Sierra?

Edit: sorry ignore that one, a quick search shows up a link on the apple site that goes to a page on the app store to download.

flooglehorn dinglebop

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2019
Actually I do have another question, I have a 960 Pro already in my system (and currently booting of a separate older AHCI blade). Is it worth updating the firmware on them at the same time (mostly the 960)? They already have data on them but I'm assuming the flash can be done without wiping them.
[doublepost=1559708099][/doublepost]
Read MP5,1: What you have to do to upgrade to Mojave (BootROM upgrade instructions), all links needed for installing are on the first post.
Thanks, you must have relied after I edited my last post, sorry about that.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Actually I do have another question, I have a 960 Pro already in my system (and currently booting of a separate older AHCI blade). Is it worth updating the firmware on them at the same time (mostly the 960)? They already have data on them but I'm assuming the flash can be done without wiping them.

Some firmware updates wipe the SSDs, you have to check. I lost all data on a 840 some years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.