Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bluesound today announced that its Generation 2i line of high-fidelity wireless speakers and home theater systems will each receive a software update on December 11 that will enable AirPlay 2, including the Pulse 2i, Pulse Mini 2i, Pulse Flex 2i, Pulse Soundbar 2i, Node 2i, Powernode 2i, and Vault 2i.

airplay-2-bluesound.jpg

With the AirPlay 2 update, multi-room audio playback will be possible between multiple Generation 2i speakers or systems and other AirPlay 2-enabled devices, including the HomePod, Apple TV, select speakers from Sonos, Libratone, and Bang & Olufsen, and select audio receivers from Denon and Marantz.

AirPlay enables users to easily stream audio from Apple devices to Generation 2i speakers, including music, movies, videos, news, podcasts, radio, audiobooks, and more from apps such as iTunes, Netflix, and YouTube on a Mac or iOS device.

AirPlay also allows for Siri control of Apple Music or Podcasts playback via iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, HomePod, and Apple TV.

Generation 2i speakers and systems will appear in the AirPlay Picker within most apps and in Control Center on devices running iOS 11.4 or later. With AirPlay 2, the speakers can also be added to the Home app on iPhone, enabling users to control all of their HomeKit and AirPlay-enabled products from one place.

Using the BluOS Controller app for iPhone or iPad, it will be possible to group older Bluesound speakers and systems with a Generation 2i speaker or system, allowing them to stream the same AirPlay 2 content throughout the home.

AirPlay 2 is Apple's latest wireless streaming protocol, released in May. Apple maintains a list of supported speakers on its website.

Article Link: Bluesound's Generation 2i Speakers and Home Theater Systems to Receive AirPlay 2 Update on December 11

Last edited:

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Damn, the design of their speakers must of made SONOS feel pretty blue...

K.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
That's two companies that have added Airplay 2 this week. Is it just coincidence?

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
This is pretty astounding that Sonos could not add this to their older products. Their explanation is as big of a joke.

Good on Bluesounds and B&O.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
For more than a year, Blusound has been promising AirPlay 2 and Apple Music support on their *existing* speakers. Now they tell us we need to buy new ones for this functionality?

dfs

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
California
Curious, I just visited the Bluesound website. They offer various speakers and various equipment for multi-room lashups. But they don't offer any home theater package or give any advice on how one could be cobbled together from the individual items on the list

So I respectfully suggest that MacRumors might do well to delete the reference to home theaters from this article, it appears to have been written in error.

Reactions: decypher44

imgroot

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2018
Curious, I just visited the Bluesound website. They offer various speakers and various equipment for multi-room lashups. But they don't offer any home theater package or give any advice on how one could be cobbled together from the individual items on the list

So I respectfully suggest that MacRumors might do well to delete the reference to home theaters from this article, it appears to have been written in error.

Their "home theater" is the sound bar and sub they offer.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Where's the Airplay 2 iHome updates for the W1 and W2 speakers?

They work with a Mac for multiple speakers, which is ok I guess, but why not update to airplay 2 so I can control them all at the same time from my iOS device? Not to mention they stopped working properly before the 10.14.2 update.

I'm getting sick of this disposable electronics world we are becoming, especially when they cost so much money - you expect them to last until they die from hardware malfunction (which usually isn't long anyways!).

My 3 year old Denon receiver won't even support Airplay 2 FFS.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluespark
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.