Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2016
Iphone 15 PM, ios 17.2.1.
Since ios 17 I have been having frequent disconnects in my car (no carplay. BMW 2014) bluetooth for calls.
I make a hands free call in my car and after a few seconds bluetooth disconnects and I have manually switch to the speaker in my Iphone. I have had this car since new and I switch iphones almost every year and usually the release x.0 has some bluetooth problems, but now 2 major releases for ios 17 and the issue is not solved. Another iphone 12 does not have the problem in my car.
I have done ALL the suggested steps, including: forgeting the phone and the car bluetooth connection, reseting network settings, rebooting the phone, etc. and not solution.
For music, when my iphone is connected to my Bose sound link mini the audio disconnects some minutes later asutomatically and I have to power cycle my speakers to reconnect my iphone. Never had this issue with my 14PM.
I have airpods pro 2 and max and sony whxm5 and no problem for audio or calls in those devices, apparently only in "old" devices.
There is a thread in Apple support forums with 10s of pages describing this problem and even disconnects in bluetooth earphones from many brands, including older Apple earpods.
Hands free calling is dead for me basically in my car. The phone speakers are useless because the volume is nothing compared to my car speakers and the microphone is so far away.
Doesn't anybody else have bluetooth problems sues with "old" devices?.

bigtel

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2016
I have an Audi 2013 and having the same issues.

Had a 12PM before and it was fine, but the 15PM cuts off the Bluetooth through the car and returns to the phone and then when I play it via loudspeaker, it will randomly connect back to the car.

Is there a way to make Apple aware of this fault we’re having? I’m sure I reported it via my phone but heard nothing.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Oh you’re hardly alone.
Check out this thread.

I’m experiencing this issue with both of my 2011 BMWs and my new iPhone 15 Pro. My iPhone 14 Pro did not exhibit any of these issues.
What model, exactly, of BMW do you have? And what multimedia-related options are installed (eg. nav, iPod)?

djchippi

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2014
Iphone 15 PM, ios 17.2.1.
Since ios 17 I have been having frequent disconnects in my car (no carplay. BMW 2014) bluetooth for calls.
I make a hands free call in my car and after a few seconds bluetooth disconnects and I have manually switch to the speaker in my Iphone. I have had this car since new and I switch iphones almost every year and usually the release x.0 has some bluetooth problems, but now 2 major releases for ios 17 and the issue is not solved. Another iphone 12 does not have the problem in my car.
I have done ALL the suggested steps, including: forgeting the phone and the car bluetooth connection, reseting network settings, rebooting the phone, etc. and not solution.
For music, when my iphone is connected to my Bose sound link mini the audio disconnects some minutes later asutomatically and I have to power cycle my speakers to reconnect my iphone. Never had this issue with my 14PM.
I have airpods pro 2 and max and sony whxm5 and no problem for audio or calls in those devices, apparently only in "old" devices.
There is a thread in Apple support forums with 10s of pages describing this problem and even disconnects in bluetooth earphones from many brands, including older Apple earpods.
Hands free calling is dead for me basically in my car. The phone speakers are useless because the volume is nothing compared to my car speakers and the microphone is so far away.
Doesn't anybody else have bluetooth problems sues with "old" devices?.
This is exactly what I have been reporting. I do not know if it is a hardware or software problem but something is gravely wrong. I’ve written at length on feedback to apple. It is happening with my AirPods Pro 2nd gen. I’m on a call with my AirPods then they disconnect randomly. I have the AirPods on and after finishing a call and without taking them out of my ears I ask Siri to make a call and my HomePod responds. I have the AirPods in May ears and finish one call and make another and my AirPods connect to my ipad Pro. Sometimes in the phone app the I’m on a call with my airpods and the phone screen icon shows they are not connected. So I take the speaker icon several times then the AirPod icon comes. Switching between devices is problematic. Just this morning I’m watching a movie on my ipad and my AirPods become disconnected and in the control center they dont even sho up so, I have to go to Bluetooth to manually connect them….this leads me to believe it is not a hardware problem. I’m a developer and public beta tester and this has been happening since iOS16. In 15, everything worked flawlessly. For example, If I have my AirPods in may ears and just finished a call and open my ipad, it used to prompt me if I wanted to switch being connect to my pine and connect to my iPad….now it just switches randomly and sometimes while I’m on a call and open my iPad…they just switch. Someone needs to figure out way because is the most frustrating thing. Lastly, I’ve been screaming about this: I’m on a phone call with my AirPods in and while on the call, I get in my car….and the car blutooth just takes the connection. My car does not have CarPlay. Even worse I’m on the phone in my house and my son who borrowed my car pulls into the garage and the freaking connection goes right to the car. This issue has been around for ever.

iiKurt

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2023
I have terrible bluetooth connectivity too. Music often cuts out/skips in my 2011 Suzuki Swift. OEM bluetooth/stereo too.
The stereo used to show the current track name, artist, album etc, but now it just says "NO TITLE" or displays nothing. My old iPhone XR never had a problem with this same system

kempathonnodge

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2024
Apple is aware of this issue and looking into it.

I have been having these issues on my iPhone 12 Pro after I did a clean install when I sent phone in to apple for a new battery. AirPods disconnect and require reconnecting pretty regularly on calls and when playing audio. My car and other bluetooth devices are having similar problems. I often have to go and re-connect to the device manually, although it sometimes takes a few tens of seconds for it to reconnect, or I receive connection errors. I receive regular AirTag left behind notifications when I'm moving (even when they are still with me).
No issues connecting with my iPad or MacBook Air.

Does anyone else experience these symptoms?:
AirPods case does not bring up the battery/connection widget when held open and close to the iPhone?
The setting for 'turn off charging case sounds' is grayed out in the AirPods settings on the iPhone (this is recently fixed on mine, now I've checked)?

I've been on calls to apple support for a couple of hours now, done several sessions of bluetooth logging and screenshots to timestamp, finally had a call a couple of days ago telling me that it has been escalated right up and they are trying to sort out a solution. Due a call back tomorrow.

I am pretty patient on support calls, but this has been a long one to solve. But then again, you can't fault Apple support for being willing to solve a problem with an over 3 year old phone... most other companies would say 'out of warranty, out of luck'. A fanboy I shall proudly remain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.