Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I am unable to find this anywhere else. I've googled, searched through dozens of forums and just can't find an answer. Whenever I try to boot the boot camp control panel I receive an error stating:

"An error occurred while trying to access the startup disk settings.

You may not have privileges to change the startup disk. Make sure you have administrative privileges and try again."

I've tried everything.. I've made sure everything is running as administrator and nothing seems to be working. I really want to get into the control panel so I can edit my F keys!! :(

Thanks in advance for any help that you may have..

Matt

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Do you mean the Boot Camp Control Panel in the Task Bar in Windows?

Which Windows and which Boot Camp version do you run?

Yes and I am running 32bit Vista Home Prem.
Boot Camp is 3.1

Edit: I was running BC 2.0 it didn't work so I upgraded to 3.1 hoping it would fix the problem.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Is there a way around the boot camp control panel to edit the function keys? Thats all I care about..

etiger13

macrumors member
May 13, 2009
Any solutions to this? I am having this issue with Windows 8 on 2012 MBA. Is it somehow related to using FileVault on my Mac volume?

dmacintyre

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
Any solutions to this? I am having this issue with Windows 8 on 2012 MBA. Is it somehow related to using FileVault on my Mac volume?

It doesn't work on Win 8. I had the same problem and rolled back to Win 7 and it works fine.

31rhcp

macrumors member
May 18, 2010

I have the exact same problem with that exact setup (no FileVault though). Can anyone provide some insight?

I really hope that this is not an issue when Windows 8 actually comes out.

EDIT: I started a thread on Apple's Support Community a while ago and there are some useful replies there that may help you out.

Also, I just noticed that I have used about 30 GB of space on ML. Seeing as how I have not installed anything but Chrome, that seems obscenely large. How much space are any of you using with W8?

Last edited:

RedCool

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
---using windows 8 with bootcamp on MacBook Air mid 2012---

I found a fix for the problem!

1) Go to the control Panel and Create a new user account in windows 8. Important: don't make the new account an administrator, make it a standard account.

2) After that log out, and log into the newly created account. You should now be able to access the boot camp control panel from the account you created. Now you can make any changes. :)

3)Optional --You can delete the account you created once the changes you want are made. The changes will apply to all your other accounts.

Reactions: Bmju

markmacrum

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Can use 'RunAs"

Folks, looks like you can use the 'RunAs' command to run AppleControlPanel.exe as a basic user to solve this problem too.

I got the clue from RedCool's post about creating an account that isn't an administrator... so how could I run the apple control panel from my admin account, as a 'standard user'.

The bootcamp control panel app is in the System32 folder, it's called 'applecontorolpanel.exe'. So, from a command prompt, ironically run as an administrator:

c:\Windows\System32> runas /trustlevel:0x20000 applecontrolpanel.exe

If you're wondering where I got 0x20000 from, you can enumerate the trust levels on your system using:

runas /showtrustlevels

Of course, you could create a .cmd file with the command in it to run anytime you want - though make sure you run it with administrative privilege.

• Love

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
---using windows 8 with bootcamp on MacBook Air mid 2012---

I found a fix for the problem!

1) Go to the control Panel and Create a new user account in windows 8. Important: don't make the new account an administrator, make it a standard account.

2) After that log out, and log into the newly created account. You should now be able to access the boot camp control panel from the account you created. Now you can make any changes. :)

3)Optional --You can delete the account you created once the changes you want are made. The changes will apply to all your other accounts.

Tried this and the Local account can access the control panel. I make the changes but when I log back into my main account the settings don't apply to it. Any other ideas on how to fix this? :confused:

Edit I got it. What I did was make the second account and make it an admin account. Log into it and make my standard a standard user. Log into my main and make the changes. Log back into the second account and make my main an admin again. Log into main and delete the temp account. Hope that makes sense :D

Last edited:

uognarf

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
multiple solutions/work arounds

you've probably already figured this out but there are a few options to work around:

1- add a new user (non-administrator) and use that account for the bootcamp control panel

2- run from the command prompt (as administrator) C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /trustlevel:0x20000 AppleControlPanel.exe

3- make a desktop shortcut so you don't have to use these more tedious work-arounds. I outlined how on my blog: http://telastipes.blogspot.ca/

Epyc Wynn

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2020
Solution: You have the wrong installation. Uninstall what you downloaded through the appropriate uninstall program that came with what you downloaded.

You need: bootcamp5.1.5722 downloaded from Apple Support.

You may have a different number, for instance what I had which was bootcamp5.1.5769. This different number causes this exact error. To date, nobody figured out that this is what causes that issue and posted the solution, so I figured I should be the first. Cheers, random person who finds this message in the future.

Edit Note: The only way to uninstall is through the program that comes with it. You have to redownload the incorrect bootcamp you originally downloaded in order to uninstall. Failure to uninstall makes future installing of the bootcamp impossible.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.