Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Troy2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
I have encountered another thread from early last year which partially dealt with this matter, however nothing conclusive was presented.

My current situation is that I will be away for the rest of the year from next week onwards and will not have access to a workstation, thus needing to rely on my 2011 MacBook Pro. As the SSD is insufficient to accomodate both OS X, Windows 7 and all of the files I must bring, I plan to acquire this drive and use it to boot Windows 7 either via Firewire 800 or eSATA (ExpressCard).

I doubt that an ExpressCard adapter capable of booting Windows 7 exists, so that may only leave Firewire 800. Firewire will bottleneck the performance of this drive by about 25MB/s, however I deem it an acceptable loss. The problem is that I have no concrete instance of someone who was able to boot Windows 7 in this manner.

My apologies for the long post, however it was my intention to ensure that no important information was left out. I would be very grateful if somebody could provide some insight.

-El Psy Congroo

Troy2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
I realize that Windows 7 will not allow installation to an external drive, however what would happen were I to clone a specifically pre-installed Windows 7 partition from a SATA HDD on my Mac Pro to an external drive?

Is there any possibility that it would boot on the MacBook Pro?

Troy2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
The Plop boot manager would allow me to boot from a USB drive, but that's an immense loss of bandwidth.

It seems I'll have to strip down my installation DVD, install to a 5GB partition on the SSD and symlink everything not vital for booting to the Firewire drive. T_T

*GrumbleGrumble**

Thank you for your time in any case. :3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.