Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in 2013, Rolocule debuted Motion Tennis, an iPhone game that brought Wii-style gaming to the Apple TV via AirPlay. Using AirPlay Mirroring, users could display the game on an Apple TV while using an iPhone as a tennis racket. The setup drew natural comparisons to Nintendo's Wii Sports, with the iPhone playing the role of the Wii Remote.

Motion Tennis wasn't perfect, as it did suffer from minor lag and there were naturally concerns about users accidentally throwing their iPhones across the room or into their televisions, but it did serve as an interesting glimpse of both the potential of AirPlay and the possibilities for Apple TV gaming.

Rolocule is now back with an addition to its sports-themed Apple TV games, earlier this month debuting Bowling Central. The game itself is fairly simple, allowing users to bowl a classic game of 3, 6, or 10 frames, or take on a challenge mode that currently offers 30 stages with various stationary and/or moving blockers in the way of the pins.

Bowling Central is by no means the first bowling game for iOS, nor even necessarily the best or most realistic, but once again the selling point is Apple TV compatibility via AirPlay. When in AirPlay mode, the user can wave his or her iPhone side to side to set the release point and then swing the device to bowl the ball, even imparting spin depending on the trajectory of the swing.

In our testing, we found very little lag when playing via Apple TV, an important factor considering the need to accurately time throws in challenge mode. Throws also felt natural with the iPhone after a bit of practice that involved getting used to keeping a thumb on the screen during the throw rather than releasing as on Wii Sports. Rolocule co-founder Anuj Tandon notes the controls were specifically designed to keep the thumb in place during throws in order to maintain better control of the device and minimize the chances of accidentally throwing it.

We did experience some crashing problems when AirPlaying to a second-generation Apple TV, although these appear to be due more to AirPlay issues on the older set-top box than an app problem. No such issues were seen with a third-generation Apple TV.

Overall, Bowling Central is a fairly straightforward bowling game with limited gameplay options so far. For example, there is no live multiplayer option and the 30 challenge levels can be completed rather quickly, although it can take a bit longer to achieve "three-pin" ratings on each.

More challenge levels appear to be in the works, however, and the Apple TV compatibility is what makes Bowling Central an interesting concept as party entertainment. With Apple yet to allow games or any sort of App Store for the Apple TV, Rolocule's AirPlay implementation gives a nice impression of the potential for the set-top box should Apple ultimately decide to open it up to third-party developers.

Bowling Central is available now in the App Store for $2.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Bowling Central' Expands Wii-Style Gaming on Apple TV

aamoren3

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
Hmm. Might be an interesting selling point if they dedicate time to making Apple TV specific party games. Maybe I'll buy the next iteration... Maybe not.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I bought this the other week and have been playing on my MacBook Pro with AirServer since I don't have an Apple TV. It's fun, but repetitive. Obviously that's going to be the case with a bowling game, but I would have liked different themed lanes and not just various obstacles.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
As polished up as this is, I had my fill of motion controlled sports games a while ago now.

ssspinball

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
I'm remembering why the Wii came out with wrist straps... :eek:

Not too keen on sending my $700+ device flying across the room accidentally.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

Your fears have already been solved.
http://photojojo.com/m/store/awesomeness/iphone-wrist-strap

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
As polished up as this is, I had my fill of motion controlled sports games a while ago now.

I can't wait to play motion controlled sports games with oculus rift. Soon traditional controllers will be a thing of the past.

-Virtual Boy Marketing Supervisor

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Especially since you'd be throwing it directly at a $2000 TV screen! :D

----------

It's just a shame that they need to charge a fortune for such small add-on. No way that it costs $17 to make that strap, you think? (assuming a 100% markup)

invisiblekid

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
Especially since you'd be throwing it directly at a $2000 TV screen! :D

----------

It's just a shame that they need to charge a fortune for such small add-on. No way that it costs $17 to make that strap, you think? (assuming a 100% markup)

Prob at least.

Also since you need to unscrew attach and screw back up again, with longer screws. If you ever need to show Apple your phone, you'll need to keep the original tiny tiny screws. And by then Apple could probably tell you opened your iPhone and tell you to take a running jump. Unless I'm reading this all wrong

And do they supply the screwdriver?

I know I lot of rant about a silly strap, but hey, there's is still no way I'm hurling my 6+ at my Kuro stap or no strap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.