Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

"Are You Sleeping," a drama series that will star Octavia Spencer, has picked up several new cast members, including Aaron Paul, known for "Breaking Bad," reports Variety.

In addition to Spencer and Paul, "Are You Sleeping" will star Lizzy Caplan (Masters of Sex), Ron Cephas Jones (This is Us), Elizabeth Perkins (Weeds), Mekhi Phifer (ER), Michael Beach (Sons of Anarchy), Tracie Thoms (UnREAL), and Haneefah Wood (Nurse Jackie).

aaronpaulroncephasjones-800x450.jpg

As has been previously reported, "Are You Sleeping" is a psychological thriller based on a novel written by Kathleen Barber. The book, also called "Are You Sleeping," focuses on a podcast that reopens a murder case, similar to the popular "Serial" podcast that led to a new trial for Adnan Syed, in jail for allegedly murdering his girlfriend.

Sarah Koenig, who created and produced "Serial," will consult on the "Are You Sleeping" series, which Apple gave a series order for in May. The show will explore how the reopening of the murder case impacts the people involved.

Octavia Spencer, known for her roles in "Hidden Figures" and "The Shape of Water" will play Poppy Parnell, the reporter who is aiming to uncover the truth behind a decades old murder through her podcast.

Paul will play convicted murderer Warren Cave, whose guilt is in question, while Lizzy Caplan will play twin sisters Josie and Lanie. Jones, known for "This is Us," plays Poppy's father, Leander "Shreve" Scoville. Perkins will play the role of Cave's mother, while Phifer will play the role of Markus Knox, detective and friend of Poppy's.

Beach plays Ingram Rhoades, attorney and husband of Poppy, and Thoms plays Desiree Scoville, Poppy's opinionated older sister. Wood plays Poppy's other sister, Cydie Scoville.

"Are You Sleeping" was written by Nichelle Tramble Spellman, and the series will be produced by Reese Witherspoon's Hello Sunshine and Chernin Entertainment/Endeavor Content.

It's still not clear when the first of Apple's television shows will debut, but rumors have suggested 2019 as an initial launch date. With casting in place for "Are You Sleeping," it could be progressing to the filming stage in the near future.

Article Link: Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul Joins Cast of Upcoming 'Are You Sleeping' Apple TV Series

whyamihere

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
'nati
One of the few show announcements I would actually look forward to watching. Whether I will or not depends entirely on the video content being included with Apple Music (or whatever it may be called) and not a separate subscription fee.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
This sounds pretty interesting, and the cast seems equally interesting as well! Something else that will be interesting to discover? How Apple plans to bring all this TV stuff to the consumer. Or maybe I've missed an article already explaining that.

Oh well, once it happens it'll at least be news to me.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
I loved Breaking Bad. Best show ever, period.

However, Aaron Paul has been a total nothing since that show and probably never will do anything in the future. That was the pinnacle of his career, so this isn't exciting.

Reactions: o9ski and ipedro

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
While I have nothing against Apple getting into the TV space, I really hope MacRumors doesn’t become flooded with TV announcements. I already have to scroll through enough Apple Watch articles as it is! o_O

I remember way back in the iTunes heyday, rumours about The Beatles dominated MacRumors headlines. Steve Jobs made a HUGE deal about the Beatles joining the iTunes Store.

TV content is going to play an instrumental role in Apple's evolution going forward like music did up until this point. iPod + iTunes were absolutely critical in getting Apple to the iPhone and making it the world's most valuable company.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
When do watch band articles make front page news (other than maybe the sidebar).
Many times. From the top of my head when they had the expensive store selling them. Then another article that had a fashion women sitting in a chair with a bunch of Watch bands w. new colors.

Reactions: Huck

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
If I'm not mistaken, Apple's media efforts are described to be family-friendly and Disney-like, yet they are making a psychological thriller about murder. Do they intend to try to keep it PG-rated? There's no need for gratuitous violence and gore just to grab attention, but hopefully they are not squeamish in displaying violence as necessary to convey a realistic/sensible story.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I loved Breaking Bad. Best show ever, period.

However, Aaron Paul has been a total nothing since that show and probably never will do anything in the future. That was the pinnacle of his career, so this isn't exciting.

I liked him in The Path.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.