Bricked Watch Upgrading to 2.0

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bigdog5142, Sep 29, 2015.

1. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

Well...I bricked my Watch SS. Was upgrading to os 2.0...accidentally shut down the watch app on my phone while my watch was upgrading (thought it was still downloading the software)...and now all I see is a red circle with an exclamation point. ARGH! Apple is going to replace it for free, but I had to do an express replacement (have them hold $600 on my CC then remove it once I return this watch). Not the most terrible outcome (I get a new watch with no scratches on the SS), but a bit of a hassle.

Moral of the story: BE CAREFUL when upgrading to os 2.0!

2. xraytech macrumors 68020

I'm always skeptical about stories about people "BRICKING" their devices. Cuz anecdotally speaking, 99.99% of the time their devices can be restored.

Did the folks at the apple just didn't want to go through the trouble of restoring your AW or was it really truly "BRICKED".

Anyways, at the end of the day, the issue was fixed.

3. aberrero macrumors 6502a

He didn't go to a store, he had it shipped. Obviously, it isn't actually bricked, but we have no way of interfacing with the watch other than over bluetooth, so as far as we are concerned, once it stops booting up, it is bricked. Apple can pry open hte connector door under the strap and flash it with USB.

4. bigdog5142 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

Thank you...Apple will be able to refurb the watch, no problem. But as far as I can do...it's bricked. Skeptical or not...this is all I see on my watch and it will do nothing else after multiple resets...
    image.jpg