Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

franklinplanner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
I know the auto-brightness issue has been discussed but my issue is this:

Moving the slider does not seem to have much of an effect on the screen brightness on my iPhone 5.

On my 4th Gen Touch the slider dims the screen considerably.

Is this normal for iPhone 5?

Both devices running ios6. Both w/ auto-brightness on.

Is the iPhone 5 behavior the same for everybody

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I have noticed this also. It does adjust on its own as it is now automatic. I had to lower the brightness because it was too bright at night and from there the auto brightness would automatically adjust from that point. Where as before on the 4s I would put the slider at mid point and let it adjust. Just move the slider to the left (dim) and you can go into a bright room and actually see the slider moving on its own, pretty cool.

T

Moving the slider does not seem to have much of an effect on the screen brightness on my iPhone 5.

golfesv

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
SIRI Brightness issue

So I just went to use siri after turning auto brightness off. I held the home button siri cam up then my screen went really dark. I could barely make out stuff. I hit the home button still dark so I hit the sleep/wake and it fixed itself. Anyone else had this issue?

lockworm

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Same Issue

I am seeing the same thing. The brightness hardly changes moving the slider from lowest to highest. Tried resetting the whole phone still the same. Does anyone else have the same issue ?

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2012
My slider makes a huge difference

Notably, I can't make it so dark that it is hard to make stuff out.

Sounds like u guys are having some kind of hardware issues?

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
So I initially thought there was a problem with auto brightness until I read this thread earlier this morning:
http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/10a9p0/til_how_the_ios_6_auto_brightness_works/

I tested it out, and sure enough, once I manually "calibrate" the auto-brightness dependent on my ambient light and then change a lighting scenario, the auto brightness kicks in. If I go back to the original location where I had manually set the brightness (i.e. if i went back into a dark room), the slider shifts right to where I manually had calibrated it to go. It seems to work very, very well, and this is definitely new behavior for iOS 6. Normally if I go out into direct sunlight, brightness moves up to 100%; I'm comfortable with 75%, so I forced it to 75%, and later when I went back into direct sunlight, sure enough it went back to 75% rather than 100%.

tcb9289

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
So I initially thought there was a problem with auto brightness until I read this thread earlier this morning:
http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/10a9p0/til_how_the_ios_6_auto_brightness_works/

I tested it out, and sure enough, once I manually "calibrate" the auto-brightness dependent on my ambient light and then change a lighting scenario, the auto brightness kicks in. If I go back to the original location where I had manually set the brightness (i.e. if i went back into a dark room), the slider shifts right to where I manually had calibrated it to go. It seems to work very, very well, and this is definitely new behavior for iOS 6. Normally if I go out into direct sunlight, brightness moves up to 100%; I'm comfortable with 75%, so I forced it to 75%, and later when I went back into direct sunlight, sure enough it went back to 75% rather than 100%.

Wow, this was super helpful! I fell like maybe little things like this shouldn't be so difficult to uncover.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Wow, this was super helpful! I fell like maybe little things like this shouldn't be so difficult to uncover.

Agreed! I was actually very surprised and had chalked it up to a bug, but once I read that post, I realized that they seemed to be right. It's been working like that all day now.

Perhaps a stickie is in order for auto-brightness.

lockworm

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
AutoBrightness OFF

Even with auto brightness turned off there is little or no change in the brightness when the slider is move from one end to other.

I tried what is mentioned above, the brightness doesn't seem to come down at all. It comes down and again goes up. do you think its a hardware or a software issue ?

----------

Exact same issue here and no one else seem to be complaining about it. I hope its not a hardware defect.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Seeing a similar issue. My brightness slider seems to change by itself. Sometimes I look and it's at 40, other times it's at 100. I have auto brightness on, but that shouldn't change the slider level.

Sakyant

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2015
Same Issue

I am seeing the same thing. The brightness hardly changes moving the slider from lowest to highest. Tried resetting the whole phone still the same. Does anyone else have the same issue ?
When I use my finger to move the slider, after letting go of it when it reaches the point I wish to leave it, it's just keeps sliding on its own either direction. It does that in all apps including the brightness slider. If I move it half a centimeter to the right, when I let go, it's then keeps moving another centimeter, and stops at wherever it wants to.
Since iOS 9 I am having to look up solutions to little bugs and problems about 25 times a week. I think that iOS has become the slowest ever ipdate, and the most full of bugs version, since I have had Apple devices (5 years).
This is the first time in five years that I am seriously considering leaving Apple because I think the company has fallen into disarray and they no longer have true vision of what the user wants .
It reminds me of the time after Steve Jobs was thrown out, and the company nearly went bust, and had to ask him back. I think it is a similar situation now with Apple because the product is getting worse and worse

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.