Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamieLannister

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2016
Is this a bug or false advertisement when shooting front camera selfie mode using portrait mode feature images aren’t in HEIC format nor full 12MP?!

the rear cameras shoot full resolution in portrait mode and saves in HEIC format but for some reason the front camera in portrait mode only is forced to use JPG format and only 7MP!

Front camera using normal mode can be saved in HEIC and full 12MP, however.

JamieLannister

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2016
This is the same way on my iPhone pro max as well. Makes no sense because even if you argue true depth front cameras to enable portrait mode why does the rear cameras work in portrait mode without true depth and saves in HEIC format along with full resolution?

this can’t be a limitation of the front camera. Why the hell would I pay for an iPhone 11 when the front camera portrait mode is limited to only 7MP?!

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
the rear cameras shoot full resolution in portrait mode and saves in HEIC format but for some reason the front camera in portrait mode only is forced to use JPG format and only 7MP!
The 7MP / 12MP thing has been known ever since the specs were announced, it's in every review of the phone I've read: switching from 7 to 12MP is how the camera "zooms out" when you go to landscape. I just tested on my 11 Pro and the front camera images are HEIC. Have you checked the camera settings to make sure "High Efficiency" is selected as the format?

JamieLannister

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2016
The 7MP / 12MP thing has been known ever since the specs were announced, it's in every review of the phone I've read: switching from 7 to 12MP is how the camera "zooms out" when you go to landscape. I just tested on my 11 Pro and the front camera images are HEIC. Have you checked the camera settings to make sure "High Efficiency" is selected as the format?

the front camera using PORTRAIT MODE will result in a 7MP JPG file every time regardless of orientation. Maybe this is how it is on the iPhone X but where is the 12MP using front camera in PORTRAIT MODE?

of course I know HEIF is enabled. But the problem is why the front camera cannot use HEIC file format and 12MP in PORTRAIT MODE

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Just checked that as well: you're right that portrait mode shots with the front camera are 7MP in both portrait and landscape but for me they're still saving as HEIC files with portrait mode engaged. I'd guess the not zooming out to 12MP in landscape for portrait mode on the 11 Pro is a bug, I've reported it via Apple's feedback page.

JamieLannister

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2016
Ok, let me correct myself.
Using front camera in any mode except portrait mode you can zoom out and save in 12MP full resolution and also HEIC if enabled.

If using front camera in PORTRAIT MODE regardless of the effect you cannot save in 12MP regardless of orientation and it also does not save in HEIC. The image is always 7MP and only JPG.

I filed a big report as well. This affects both my iPhone 11 and my iPhone 11 pro max. Both running iOS 13.1.2

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Isn’t portrait mode simulating a different focal length? At least with the rear camera it’s using the 50ish mm equivalent longer lens. If the front camera portrait mode apes the same effect it will likely crop the image a bit hence resulting in less megapixels.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
If using front camera in PORTRAIT MODE regardless of the effect you cannot save in 12MP regardless of orientation and it also does not save in HEIC. The image is always 7MP and only JPG.
On mine it is 7MP but it does save as HEIC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.