Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmd

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2004
Melbourne (Previously UK)
The other day I noticed that the iSight in my Macbook 2.0GHz isn't working. It doesn't appear in System Profiler, so Photobooth, iChat and Skype say that no camera is connected.

I've reset the PMU, reset PRAM, booted from the Macbook installation DVD and checked System Profiler there, nothing has worked. I called Apple and after I told them everything I'd tried they put me on hold for a while and then said I'd have to take it to a service centre for repair :(

I'm running 10.4.8 with the previous SMC firmware upgrade (not version 1.1 that came out today), but I've no idea when the camera stopped working! I only have a vague recollection of it working on the day I got it (it might have been a shop model that I tried Photobooth with) :rolleyes:

Anyone else seen this and fixed it without a hardware replacement? I'm wondering what they'd have to replace to fix the iSight (the module in the top of the screen, the cable, the logic board?)

I've had no other issues with the Macbook at all so I'm worried I might get some parts put in that have their own well-known problems :)

Paul

andrewmulligan

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2006
I think that the iSight is a USB cam and it's just in the top bezel and a cable runs down to some component inside (motherboard maybe?). I dunno if the stores would just have built in iSights laying around so they might have to order one. That's a really weird issue, good luck getting it fixed. :)

Am3822

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
Groningen, The Netherlands
iSight missing.

I have a 2.33Ghz MBP running 10.4.11.

For some strange reason, photobooth reports that some other application is using the built-in iSight (even after restart). iMovie cannot detect it and it doesn't appear in the Parallels menu for available devices.

Any idea? I've repaired permissions and restarted the machine without any sucess.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
The other day I noticed that the iSight in my Macbook 2.0GHz isn't working. It doesn't appear in System Profiler, so Photobooth, iChat and Skype say that no camera is connected.

I've reset the PMU, reset PRAM, booted from the Macbook installation DVD and checked System Profiler there, nothing has worked. I called Apple and after I told them everything I'd tried they put me on hold for a while and then said I'd have to take it to a service centre for repair :(

I'm running 10.4.8 with the previous SMC firmware upgrade (not version 1.1 that came out today), but I've no idea when the camera stopped working! I only have a vague recollection of it working on the day I got it (it might have been a shop model that I tried Photobooth with) :rolleyes:

Anyone else seen this and fixed it without a hardware replacement? I'm wondering what they'd have to replace to fix the iSight (the module in the top of the screen, the cable, the logic board?)

I've had no other issues with the Macbook at all so I'm worried I might get some parts put in that have their own well-known problems :)

Paul

i have a similar issue
my isight started to go, and depending on the angle of the screen it sometimes worked
now it doesnt work at all

i guess we have the same issue, a loose cable - needs to be repaired by apple (ive never used isight so im not bothered)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.