Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccapman670

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2012
New Orleans / Baton Rouge
I'm looking to buy an out of contract iPhone 6 Plus to use with Verizon. My local Apple store has been out of all 6+'s but according to apple's website they have a Sprint one available now in stock. Does anyone know if I can go in and buy that one out of contract ($850 for 64GB plus) and use it with verizon? Or is it already going to be tied to sprint?

I've read that the Verizon iPhone 6's can be used with all carriers. Are they all "unlocked" until you renew and activate it with a certain provider?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I'm looking to buy an out of contract iPhone 6 Plus to use with Verizon. My local Apple store has been out of all 6+'s but according to apple's website they have a Sprint one available now in stock. Does anyone know if I can go in and buy that one out of contract ($850 for 64GB plus) and use it with verizon? Or is it already going to be tied to sprint?

I've read that the Verizon iPhone 6's can be used with all carriers. Are they all "unlocked" until you renew and activate it with a certain provider?

Thanks!

With Sprint you have to get a contract with them. After getting a contract with them you have to go 90 days of being a great customer then request the unlock. Then and only then will it be unlocked... And even after all that it'll only be unlocked for international use...

Even if you pay full price for it.

Sucks too, Sprint iPhones have more LTE BANDS then any other iPhone

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Verizon won't activate a phone that isn't officially theirs anyway. Some have found a workaround with the T-Mobile 6 which is the same model as Verizon and AT&T. Sprint has its own model that is separate. If it's similar to other Sprint LTE phones, it won't work without the included SIM card that is tied to the phone.

Just wait it out for Apple to restock or check Verizon or Best Buy. No sense in buying a phone that is all but guaranteed to not work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.