Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I am considering buying a used cellular iPad for my mother on craigslist or locally in general. I would like to get 128GB model, either Air 1 or Air 2. It will be used on T-Mobile network.

My only concern buying one is to how avoid buying something that perhaps might be to still on a monthly payment plan or not fully paid off. Can a carrier like T-Mobile or perhaps Apple help me with checking the serial numbers or IMIE if the device is paid off, so I do not run into any surprises?

I appreciate any assistance with this.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I avoid CL at all costs. I'd rather buy one from Swappa. They check the IMEI and everything for you.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Anytime you buy used there is some chance of a problem, even Swappa can not guarantee that the original owner will not claim it is stolen.....

I have bought and sold tons of things on CL and never had a problem. It is free and you walk away with cash.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I am considering buying a used cellular iPad for my mother on craigslist or locally in general. I would like to get 128GB model, either Air 1 or Air 2. It will be used on T-Mobile network.

My only concern buying one is to how avoid buying something that perhaps might be to still on a monthly payment plan or not fully paid off. Can a carrier like T-Mobile or perhaps Apple help me with checking the serial numbers or IMIE if the device is paid off, so I do not run into any surprises?

I appreciate any assistance with this.

Yes, you can confirm with the carrier if the device is paid off. The seller could meet you at the carrier as well to complete the transaction.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Bought an Air 2 from eBay and had no problem. Please do not buy Air 1. It is old and very slow!! Your mommy will never love you no more if you bought her an Air 1!!

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Bought an Air 2 from eBay and had no problem. Please do not buy Air 1. It is old and very slow!! Your mommy will never love you no more if you bought her an Air 1!!

She already has Air 1 but only with 16 GB of storage,and the performance it more than she can handle. Her previous iPad was iPad 3 and even that was working fine for her. Actually, the only reason I replaced it with Air 1 was to make sure that both, her iPhone (6S) and iPad, were on the same iOS version.
[doublepost=1491869837][/doublepost]
Yes, you can confirm with the carrier if the device is paid off. The seller could meet you at the carrier as well to complete the transaction.

Would you know if any carrier can do it? I know the iPad Air 1 are carrier specific if I am not mistaken, so if the iPad is ATT, can I still go to t-mobie and have them check it?
[doublepost=1491870096][/doublepost]
Anytime you buy used there is some chance of a problem, even Swappa can not guarantee that the original owner will not claim it is stolen.....

I have bought and sold tons of things on CL and never had a problem. It is free and you walk away with cash.

Same here, I bought 3 iPhones (3GB, 4S and 5S) and two iPads (3 and Air 1) and never had any issues. I also sold at least 10+ iPhones and about 5 iPads and never had any problems. Yes, Craigslist can be hit or miss or very intimidating, but if you know what you do, it is still a good option compare to likes Amazon, ebay, swappa gazelle etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.