Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperOperator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019
Greetings,

Where do you guys buy mint or refurbished iPhones? I'm considering Xs Max 256GB refurbished for 750-800$ or 11 Pro for ~900$...
Where to get a refurbished Xs Max? I've seen those Amazon Renewed deals but I don't like it, reviews are not that good as well as merchandise received. Swappa is pretty good but their limited buyer-seller interaction system is pretty bad.

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2019
I recently found swappa and love it. It’s an online techie sale sight for electronics. Only thing that sucks is apple doesn’t have an app for it.

TimothyL

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2019
Best Buy sells refurbished devices. I bought my new iPad there last month In the refurbished section.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I recently found swappa and love it. It’s an online techie sale sight for electronics. Only thing that sucks is apple doesn’t have an app for it.
Well, it's not that Apple doesn't have an app for it, it's that Swappa doesn't have an iOS app.

SuperOperator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019
Greetings all!

What is the best and safest way for European folks to buy used/mint or new iPhones in the USA?
Talking about iPhone 11 Pro and Max models. Far better prices in the USA vs Europe...
Thinking about Swappa website and similar ones with mint or new condition models.
What should they look for? It would be a real bummer if someone from Europe buys an iPhone, gets home in Europe and can't use it!

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
What did people tell you in the other thread you started?

SuperOperator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2019
Since you're such a diligent guy, you must've seen that I never asked about the specifics when buying something used from Swappa for example. What should one look for, contract pay off's? replacement phones from Apple or some third party companies? How can one know that the phone is fully paid off? And what if it isn't? I think that Verizon unlocks their phones after one or two months for example, for other carriers, I don't have any info. I'm just asking for some user experiences and guidelines, that's all.

riteshritesh

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2016
Mumbai INDIA
1) Activate International Roaming on your European Number.
2) While checking the phone in USA, insert that simcard and see if it works in the same way as your old phone does, with regards to Data and calling.

If yes, then it will work back home too.

Reactions: SuperOperator

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Greetings all!

What is the best and safest way for European folks to buy used/mint or new iPhones in the USA?
Talking about iPhone 11 Pro and Max models. Far better prices in the USA vs Europe...
Thinking about Swappa website and similar ones with mint or new condition models.
What should they look for? It would be a real bummer if someone from Europe buys an iPhone, gets home in Europe and can't use it!
You're more than welcome to walk into one of our local Apple Stores and purchase new.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Surprisingly the last 3 iPhones I bought for me and close friends have been from the marketplace here. The one thing when buying the newest iPhone used is whether the seller paid off the device, and if it’s carrier locked. Ofcourse it takes more patience on here since it’s a smaller market, but the deals I got are pretty fantastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.