Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

GE Lighting recently announced an expansion to its C by GE portfolio, introducing a number of new HomeKit-compatible smart wall switches, full color lights, and accessories.

All of the below products will be rolling out across 2019, starting with the first quarter of the year. To use these products with HomeKit, the C-Reach Hub, introduced last year, is required.

Full Color LED Bulbs

C by GE is gaining colored LED bulb options, which will provide millions of colors along with tunable white colors, much like LIFX and Philips Hue.

cbygebulb1-800x450.jpg

There's a 60-watt equivalent A19 bulb, a BR30 for recessed lighting areas, and a custom-sized light strip. The new lighting products can be controlled via an app or through Siri with the required HomeKit hub.

cbygebulb2-800x450.jpg

Smart Switches

GE is adding several smart switches, designed to let users turn on, off, and dim any brand incandescent, halogen, CFL, or LED bulb.

There are multiple options available, from a basic smart on/off switch to a dimmer switch with motion detection and an ambient light sensor.

cbygeswitch-800x450.jpg

For those who have C by GE smart bulbs, GE says that the smart switches allow for full control of the bulbs even when the switch is off, eliminating the inability to control smart bulbs when a light switch is turned off by kids or visitors.

Smart Wall Plug and Motion Sensor

C by GE is gaining a new smart wall plug, which is designed to make any appliance or device that's plugged into it controllable via an app or Siri.

cbygeplug-800x450.jpg

There's also a new battery powered motion sensor coming that is designed to detect motion and ambient light to control lighting based on movement and light within a room.

All of the C by GE products are compatible with Amazon Alexa, HomeKit, and Made for Google, though as mentioned before, HomeKit integration requires a hub.

Article Link: GE Debuts New C by GE HomeKit-Compatible Smart Wall Switches, Full Color Lights and Accessories

afreemanmd

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Dallas

GE Lighting recently announced an expansion to its C by GE portfolio, introducing a number of new HomeKit-compatible smart wall switches, full color lights, and accessories.

All of the below products will be rolling out across 2019, starting with the first quarter of the year. To use these products with HomeKit, the C-Reach Hub, introduced last year, is required.

Full Color LED Bulbs

C by GE is gaining colored LED bulb options, which will provide millions of colors along with tunable white colors, much like LIFX and Philips Hue.

cbygebulb1-800x450.jpg

There's a 60-watt equivalent A19 bulb, a BR30 for recessed lighting areas, and a custom-sized light strip. The new lighting products can be controlled via an app or through Siri with the required HomeKit hub.

cbygebulb2-800x450.jpg

Smart Switches

GE is adding several smart switches, designed to let users turn on, off, and dim any brand incandescent, halogen, CFL, or LED bulb.

There are multiple options available, from a basic smart on/off switch to a dimmer switch with motion detection and an ambient light sensor.

cbygeswitch-800x450.jpg

For those who have C by GE smart bulbs, GE says that the smart switches allow for full control of the bulbs even when the switch is off, eliminating the inability to control smart bulbs when a light switch is turned off by kids or visitors.

Smart Wall Plug and Motion Sensor

C by GE is gaining a new smart wall plug, which is designed to make any appliance or device that's plugged into it controllable via an app or Siri.

cbygeplug-800x450.jpg

There's also a new battery powered motion sensor coming that is designed to detect motion and ambient light to control lighting based on movement and light within a room.

All of the C by GE products are compatible with Amazon Alexa, HomeKit, and Made for Google, though as mentioned before, HomeKit integration requires a hub.

Article Link: GE Debuts New C by GE HomeKit-Compatible Smart Wall Switches, Full Color Lights and Accessories

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
When are these smart lighting companies gonna start making good bulbs that are brighter than 60 W equivalent? Drives me nuts that for the two dozen Hue lights in my home, I can’t get anything higher than 800 lumens.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Ugly as sin, but one of the only HomeKit-capable (even though it requires a clunky hub) switches with motion sensing. Plus it has a dimmer, which has been the main thing holding me back from getting the ecobee switch for my home office. Haven’t seen any others with motion sensing and a dimmer, at least not from reputable brands.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
All of the switches and outlets in my house came light ivory. The biggest issue with most of the smart switches is they come in white, sometimes ivory.

Shawd23

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2019
Agreed. Someone let engineering all over this with “0” outside intervention.

GE is late to the game with nothing to differentiate from their competition. A game changer for them could have been a “hubless” system.

They are hubless if you have a Google home, homehub or Home Mini. The last gen worked without a hub out of the box with the Google assistant.

Reactions: Defthand

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
i don't like smart devices that require a hub. if you want to buy devices from several brand, you'll have a house full of hubs...

Others manage to do it without a special hub.

Reactions: S G

araadt

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2016
Calgary, Alberta
Somebody did the HAL 9000 visual sensor as a light switch?

No—I just photoshopped it in. I'm not sure if that big, round spot on the GE one is the primary action button or what—but all I see when I look at the design of the switch is the circle in the middle of the big rectangle. It may be "smart" but let's hope it's not HAL smart.

ateslik

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2008
does anybody know how big the inside is on these? I just bought some idevice switches and while they are really great I can’t put them everywhere because the inside the wall part is YUUUUGE! Two switches in one box is just not possible.

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
The smart dimmer switch with a motion sensor is interesting. I recently added a bunch of “non-smart” Lutron occupancy dimmers to my house because I couldn’t find any smart dimmers with motion sensors built in. On the bright side, they match the style of my Lutron Caseta smart switches. The Lutron occupancy dimmers are fantastic, and the motion sensors in them blow away every other motion sensor I’ve tried, but they can only turn on to a preset or the last used brightness, or not turn on if there’s enough ambient light. It would be nice to be able to have the lights come on 100% during the day, and dimmed at night, which hopefully you can do with these GE ones. I doubt the motion sensor will be as good as the Lutron non-smart ones though. Lutron puts some type of wizardry in them that can detect the tiniest of movements, so my lights never turn off on me while I’m pooping even though I only set the motion timeout to 1 minute and take REALLY long poops while reading on my phone. I tried Philips Hue Motion sensors for this and they couldn’t detect small movements at all... more like major movement detectors.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.