Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
X-Rite i1 Display Pro, used across our families' 8 mac's (iMac's & MacBook Pro's) here. Quick, very effective and not going to break the bank either.

Last edited:

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
ColorMunki Photo, because I like my prints to look nice too!

Sorry to be off-topic here, as the initial query asked about monitor profiling.

Isn't the ColorMunki only necessary for printing your own pictures at a high quality/professional level? I have a printer profile given to me by my commercial printer that I use at export for printing. I don't print anything at home.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010

Isn't the ColorMunki only necessary for printing your own pictures at a high quality/professional level? I have a printer profile given to me by my commercial printer that I use at export for printing. I don't print anything at home.

True, but I'm interested in what people use, and if their workflow includes home printing, and therefore needs printer profiling then that's cool..

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
True, but I'm interested in what people use, and if their workflow includes home printing, and therefore needs printer profiling then that's cool..

Definitely! If I were printing for clients from home, I'd also be calibrating my printer. I'm only a keen enthusiast, so will never need to spend the buck$ on a pro. printer and printer calibration, that must mean another lens or two for me I guess. :cool:

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Ok so those of you that use the full colourmunki photo package and calibrate your printers as well, how is that working out for you? Also, again out I interest, what printers are you using?!

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Spyder 4 Elite on my dual display iMac. I have a 2012 27" iMac, and ATD, running in dual monitor (non-mirrored) mode.

I got them MUCH closer than factory... but they still look a bit different to me. I think it is mostly a difference between the original glossy screen (ATD) and the new laminated anti-glare screen (iMac) giving that slightly different look... not the actual color calibration.

I have not tried adjusting it further than running each screen in automatic mode... and then running the colormatch function. It is close enough for now. I'll likely buy a new ATD if/when they have a screen that matches the new iMac and use that for my dual monitor setup... and then use my ATD exclusively with my MBAs.

/Jim

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Ok so those of you that use the full colourmunki photo package and calibrate your printers as well, how is that working out for you? Also, again out I interest, what printers are you using?!
I'm using the whole Spyder package with a Dell 3011 and Canon 9500 Mk II. The end to end calibration works well.

Spyder 4 Elite on my dual display iMac. I have a 2012 27" iMac, and ATD, running in dual monitor (non-mirrored) mode.

I got them MUCH closer than factory... but they still look a bit different to me. I think it is mostly a difference between the original glossy screen (ATD) and the new laminated anti-glare screen (iMac) giving that slightly different look... not the actual color calibration.

I have not tried adjusting it further than running each screen in automatic mode... and then running the colormatch function. It is close enough for now. I'll likely buy a new ATD if/when they have a screen that matches the new iMac and use that for my dual monitor setup... and then use my ATD exclusively with my MBAs.

/Jim
I'm not sure how the iMac handles dual monitors but you are normally limited to one calibration per video card. Typical video cards have a single CLUT so if you calibrate monitor one then do another calibration on monitor two it overwrites the tables.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I'm using the whole Spyder package with a Dell 3011 and Canon 9500 Mk II. The end to end calibration works well.

I'm not sure how the iMac handles dual monitors but you are normally limited to one calibration per video card. Typical video cards have a single CLUT so if you calibrate monitor one then do another calibration on monitor two it overwrites the tables.

It has been a long while since I had an iMac but I was able to have multiple "profiles" and manually select what I wanted. In the case of dual monitors, you may perhaps only be able to use one profile that will be used on both monitors at once. For photo purposes, set up the profile for the monitor that is best suited for the task. Let the other monitor "fall" where the profile puts it.

As for calibration - as you saw, several options are available and one point that is clear: some tools work better on certain types of monitors than others as far as calibrating. In my case, I get the best results with the calibration tool that came with my graphics monitor (NEC model). I admit I am not a big fan of the lower end Spyder but heard good things about the newer models. Munki seems to be very popular with many.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Ideally you should a printer profile for each type of media you use. You will see a big difference in the type of paper finishes (and brands) you use.
If you are using a Lab they will of course have their own calibration tool and it will be correct (assuming it's a decent lab/printer set up.

----------

Definitely! If I were printing for clients from home, I'd also be calibrating my printer. I'm only a keen enthusiast, so will never need to spend the buck$ on a pro. printer and printer calibration, that must mean another lens or two for me I guess. :cool:

I don't actually own the ColorMunki Photo, but I have access to it whenever I want through work. That's why it's not a big money issue for me. It's not as expensive as you think though. Especially as they supply a colour chart with it (and you can download software from Xrite's website to profile your camera).

----------

Not that great at the moment as I'm having some printer issues! I have a cheap Epson printer. I don't do a lot of printing at home as I'm not a prolific photographer, and we have the following at work which I get to use FOC
Epson 9880
Epson 4900
Epson Mini lab

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.