Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Camera+ 2 was released for iPhone and iPad today, a complete rewrite of the popular photography app of the same name that appeared almost eight years ago and sold over 14 million copies in that time. The successor app features a completely redesigned interface for accessing manual controls, raw shooting and editing, depth capture, and more.

As a universal app, Camera+ 2 promises a consistent experience across iPhone and iPad, with multitasking support for the latter baked in. Unlike its predecessor, the app also comes with all features, one-touch filters, and tools included as-is - no in-app purchases required.

camera-2-800x738.jpg

In shooting modes, the manual onscreen wheels and controls include traditional settings like shutter speed, ISO, White Balance, and Macro, with wide-angle and telephoto options available on dual-lens devices. These functions can also be hidden during casual shooting.

With depth capture enabled in Camera+ 2, the depth information is saved alongside the image, and the adjustments in The Lab section of the editor can be selectively applied to distant or close subjects. A collection of filters are also available, with options to adjust their strength and layer them to customize the aesthetic.

camera-2_1-800x733.jpg

A new Smile mode enables Camera+ 2 to detect smiles and shoot automatically, while a Stabilizer mode shoots only when the iPhone is steady enough to produce a sharp picture. The Slow Shutter mode meanwhile brings the ability to take long exposures, even in daylight, with additional Burst and Timer modes also included.

Elsewhere, in a much-requested change, Camera+ now has full Photo Library integration with editing support, with the added ability to switch between the Photo Library and the Lightbox with the tap of a button. Drag and drop gestures on the iPad are supported for copying or sharing photos, while Files and iTunes integration are also available for transferring pictures to a computer or other apps.

Camera+ 2 is available to download on the App Store for $2.99 and requires iOS 11 or later. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Camera+ 2 for iOS Brings New Interface, Photo Library Integration, Raw and Depth Editing, and More

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
I almost bought Camera+ until I realised VSCO also has RAW support. This new version looks promising though!

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Halide? Obscura 2? Camera+ 2?

Which one am I supposed to know is best for me?!

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Really what I miss most from traditional cameras is the option to have the date and time stamp automatically applied to images in the proper bottom corner location. Without having to manually add it later.

That’s the feature I want. Otherwise, the built in camera seems adequate for me.

Reactions: SantaFeNM

urtules

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I just checked, app requires iOS 11. This is a good sign, apps that drop compatibility with old iOS versions potentially more stable, have less code size and use latest and most effecient API. Please update to iOS 11.4 if you haven’t yet, let’s make progress together.

Mic'sBook

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2010
Hong Kong
Really what I miss most from traditional cameras is the option to have the date and time stamp automatically applied to images in the proper bottom corner location. Without having to manually add it later.

That’s the feature I want. Otherwise, the built in camera seems adequate for me.

To me, the most wanted feature is the ability to take photos at lower resolution. Sometimes there's no need to take photos at full resolution for receipts, etc. Camera+ (and this Camera+ 2) can do exactly that.

To the best of my knowledge ProCam 5 is another camera app that enables the user to manually control the camera settings though I'm not sure if date stamps are available.

Camera+ is the must-have app and it was the most well-spent HKD $8. I guess I bought it since the iPhone 4 (2010).

Reactions: ConvertedToMac

urtules

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010

You mean like water mark, why you want to do this unless for print? Image file contains metadata already. Do you add label with GPS coordinates and time zone as well?

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
You mean like water mark, why you want to do this unless for print? Image file contains metadata already. Do you add label with GPS coordinates and time zone as well?

For documentation purposes. I cannot legally edit a photo that is taken for documentation purposes.

As soon as I alter the image manually, it loses all value.

And metadata is useless legally.

For other purposes, it is also nicer to look at a photo and have that date and time in the image for easy reference. I don’t have to go and find the original and look at metadata.

And so many actions alter metadata as well.

daniellidio

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2018

I sometimes need this as well, found a camera app a while a go called Procamera, it's by Cocologics. It adds Date, Time and Timezone. I will upload a file of mine so you can look how it works.

Also it is a really good camera app.

Attachments

• IMG_3336.JPG
    IMG_3336.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 4,061

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Is this new app related to the original Camera+ app? This not just upgrade for Camera+ app. and looks like they formed a new company with a similar name to that of the original Camera+: both sellers are different but have LateNiteSoft in the name.
If indeed it's the same developers, I wonder why they chose to list this app as from a separate developer and not just alongside the original Camera+.. possibly to avoid backlash from customers since this is a paid app and not a free upgrade

daniellidio

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2018
I bought Camera+ 2 just because I have the first since forever and I loved it and they constantly updated the app. 8 years of support by a developer is something very rare these days.

That being said, the new app is a bit buggy on the portrait mode for me (iPhone 8+, tested in iOS 11.3.1 and now on 11.4) and it's jittery/janky/laggy, hope they fix it soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: ConvertedToMac

theengineerbox

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2014
I bought Camera+ 2 just because I have the first since forever and I loved it and they constantly updated the app. 8 years of support by a developer is something very rare these days.

That being said, the new app is a bit buggy on the portrait mode for me (iPhone 8+, tested in iOS 13.3.1 and now on 13.4) and it's jittery/janky/laggy, hope they fix it soon.

13.3.1 and 13.4?
Are you form the future? lol

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA

Mom, what did I tell you about posting on the internet?

(Seriously, that's what metadata is for. Having anything on the picture, ruins the picture. Any time I'm around her, I turn that off on her camera.)
[doublepost=1527685122][/doublepost]
Halide? Obscura 2? Camera+ 2?

Which one am I supposed to know is best for me?!

Only way to find out is to use them all.

He's pretty much right. I love Halide's GUI, haven't used Obscura 2, and just got Camera+ 2 for nostalgia's sake. It all depends on what you want.

The two camera apps on my main homescreen are Camera.app and Pro HDR X, if for no reason other than I still can't reliably denoise RAW files (and that's what I have Halide for, shooting RAW) on my phone. There's no "one touch" denoise app that I know of.

*goes and looks up Obscura 2*

Last edited:
Reactions: 98 others

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I maybe in the minority but I find myself needing to switch back and forth between photos and video shooting often. Not having even a rudimentary video shooting mode is very inconvenient. ProCamera is one of the few power camera apps that does both, but its interface is becoming a bit dated.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I'm wondering how this compares to Camera-M or Halide for those that use those apps.

And bonus points to the app that makes it the easiest to send a DNG to Lightroom CC on the iPhone (although I expect that's a CC problem, not having it available on the share sheet).

SantaFeNM

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
Santa Fe, NM
Mom, what did I tell you about posting on the internet?

(Seriously, that's what metadata is for. Having anything on the picture, ruins the picture. Any time I'm around her, I turn that off on her camera.)
[doublepost=1527685122][/doublepost]

There are circumstances where having the time and date on the photo is important to people. For instance I had a job where I did property inspections. It was important to have the time and date on the photos. Also for insurance purposes documenting belongings or accident damage. There are definitely instances where having it on the photo is important.

For general photos, I agree. I don't want the time and date on those.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

Sefstah

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2015
Sounds great, until you have to buy the app again. Why isn’t this an update like every other app? No thanks.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Is this new app related to the original Camera+ app? This not just upgrade for Camera+ app. and looks like they formed a new company with a similar name to that of the original Camera+: both sellers are different but have LateNiteSoft in the name.
If indeed it's the same developers, I wonder why they chose to list this app as from a separate developer and not just alongside the original Camera+.. possibly to avoid backlash from customers since this is a paid app and not a free upgrade

Interesting question. But I don't think a major version upgrade fee is a big deal and would prompt such a move.

v2 doesn't look like enough of an update, when v1 still works fine for me.

I'm also leery of further purchases after finding a support/bug report inquiry to the company completely ignored. I don't need support often, but when I do, I expect that paying customers would at least receive the courtesy of a reply. They're the only iOS developer I've contacted who has been unresponsive.

If Halide had a macro mode, I would have bought it and switched immediately.

(I use macro fairly often; does Halide, or other apps, have one yet?)

They replied quickly to my question, even though I wasn't a paying customer.

So while I like the app (v1, at least), I have no confidence in the developer in other respects.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I sometimes need this as well, found a camera app a while a go called Procamera, it's by Cocologics. It adds Date, Time and Timezone. I will upload a file of mine so you can look how it works.

Also it is a really good camera app.

Thank you. That’s an option. I’ll check it out.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I have several great third party camera apps but hardly use them because you can’t replace the built in camera button on the lock screen, control center, and the Messages app with these third party things. I hope iOS 12 allows this for Camera along with Mail, Calendar, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.