Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
Honestly, this hideous thick horizontal line at the bottom gotta go!

Everyone with a button-less iPhone knows how to swipe, and it serves no value anymore. On the lock screen there's another one for the control center, I mean, this is getting ridiculous. It's like Apple thinks we're too unintelligent to know that we can swipe and need permanent instructions. The horizontal line is even longer and thicker on the iPad and looks so weird between two split apps.

line.png

it also takes up way too much space in the bottom where we have navigation for our apps, which could've been pushed down if it wasn't for the horizontal line. There should be an option to toggle this off in settings, or how about just having a tutorial on swiping/managing apps when resetting your phone!!

Last edited:

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
They have the thinnest chin in the business, ruined by that eye sore, smelly, putrid thing called home bar. ?‍♂️

Not hard to have a option in settings to let the user hide it at least.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
They have the thinnest chin in the business, ruined by that eye sore, smelly, putrid thing called home bar. ?‍♂️

Not hard to have a option in settings to let the user hide it at least.
Right? It's like "hey moron, pull on me!" in your face. It's criminal to have it on the iPad. there is absolutely no reason for an iPad to have the "home bar" considering it's supposed to be a "computer". Notice how on the regular iPads with physical home buttons runs the latest iPadOS software with swiping yet there's no "home bar" line? we don't hold or use the iPad the same way as we do on the phone and it serves no purpose.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Notice how on the regular iPads with physical home buttons runs the latest iPadOS software with swiping yet there's no "home bar" line?
What do you mean with “swiping”? I'm using iPad Air 3 with TouchID and clearly I can’t “swipe up” to close an app, or unlock my iPad.

Edit: Oh I see what you meant now. Have never used swipe up to close an app before. ?
Clearly this means the Home Bar indication works?

oliverades

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
Look, I get why people don't like it, it's not my favorite either for my personal use. I'd love an option to remove it in settings. But why so much venom? People on this site can't talk about feature requests or things they don't like without making it out to be an unrivaled atrocity. "How dare Apple bestow this hideous, horrific, criminal, outright offensive...tiny black line on my cell phone!!!!!" I mean, chill out, man.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
I don't get it either. ?
It's a small line at the very bottom of the screen, yet some people act like there is a big black bar right in the middle of the screen.
It’s a bigger deal (for me) in landscape mode. But that’s when the vertical real estate is restricted so I just see it more readily. In portrait mode I just don’t look at the bottom edge of my screen much.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Add me to the list of people who wishes they could disable the home bar.

Even though I used TouchID iPhones for 7 years before I got my iPhone 12 Pro Max... I've already learned what happens when I swipe down there.

I don't need the constant visual reminder.

:p

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Interesting to see the small things that annoy some people. Never really thought about it to be honest. It’s inoffensive for me .

I don't get it either. ?
It's a small line at the very bottom of the screen, yet some people act like there is a big black bar right in the middle of the screen.
29284894-7195-4F16-B164-3508BE3C4E58.jpeg

This is why this home bar can be extremely intrusive. Much more so on an iPhone in landscape mode. All of those are buttons and the middle two overlaps with home bar.
Granted, this game was developed long before iPhone X became a thing, but there is no point to adapt to home bar like a notch would be.

Reactions: TinaBelcher

Livvie

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2021
Wales
Tbh a simple setting option could sort this. I also never noticed the one for control centre before lol

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yeah, there really should be an option to hide that bar. It's unnecessary. On iOS 10 and earlier, we didn't need that bar to learn one can swipe up to open Control Center.

iPads with Home button don't have that bar and it wasn't hard to learn one can open the dock and app switcher with swipe motions. Iirc, the mini-tutorial after initial setup/first upgrade to iOS 11 was good enough since those are tasks one performs very frequently.

swarlos

Suspended
Oct 18, 2015
I’m shocked no one has said this but the home bar is actually horizontal not vertical.

But I agree LOL when I jailbroke my 11PM last year first thing I did was install two tweaks that removed the home bar and moved everything down.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Simple really, it's been there since 2017, yet apple is sitting on its high horse, offer people a choice to keep it or hide it, not like they have to rewrite the whole OS to add a simple setting.
A lot of stuff I wish I could simply toggle on/off in iOS.

That's why I used to jailbreak back in the day, to turn off some of the annoyances that Apple felt we as a customer didn't need to control.

I'm not sure why there isn't an "Normal" and "Advanced" level of settings. Simple toggle would expose a lot of extra settings and customizations. Leave it on Normal as default, so mom & pop won't fiddle with stuff they dont need to.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Look, I get why people don't like it, it's not my favorite either for my personal use. I'd love an option to remove it in settings. But why so much venom? People on this site can't talk about feature requests or things they don't like without making it out to be an unrivaled atrocity. "How dare Apple bestow this hideous, horrific, criminal, outright offensive...tiny black line on my cell phone!!!!!" I mean, chill out, man.
Alternatively, people can’t ask for a new feature on this site without someone else acting like everything Apple does is perfect and anyone who wants any kind of change is being ridiculous.

On topic, I would for sure love an option to turn the bar off.

Reactions: TinaBelcher

oliverades

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
Simple really, it's been there since 2017, yet apple is sitting on its high horse, offer people a choice to keep it or hide it, not like they have to rewrite the whole OS to add a simple setting.
And you can say that. Using our nice words, like big boys and girls. We should all know how to be civil and offer suggestions and critiques without having full blown temper tantrums.

In case you need a demo: “Hey, I don’t like this bar. It’s been here since 2018 and I don’t feel the need for it, because we understand the mechanics of going back to the Home Screen. It’d be a great feature to be able to turn this off”

Alternatively, people can’t ask for a new feature on this site without someone else acting like everything Apple does is perfect and anyone who wants any kind of change is being ridiculous.

On topic, I would for sure love an option to turn the bar off.
I agree with the ask! I think the bar is annoying and unnecessary. Apple is not perfect and people requesting features and asking for change is what makes products better. There’s just a difference between asking/suggesting and acting like apple is purposefully trying to ruin your life with a phone feature you don’t like.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
It will most likely go away in 2-4 years, when everybody is used to these mechanics.
If someone has an iPhone 8 or SE and upgrades to a whole size display, these people will be lost if Apple removes it already.

Reactions: artfossil

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
[…] I think the bar is annoying and unnecessary. Apple is not perfect and people requesting features and asking for change is what makes products better. […]
Generally agree with the above. But who decides if a given change will make somethings better. And for how many will this be made better for? And the more options the more toward android it becomes.

Reactions: oliverades
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.