Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Can the iMac be used as a regular monitor? Or will an iMac always only work with Mac OS X / Linux running on the monitor? :eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Gary King said:
Can the iMac be used as a regular monitor? Or will an iMac always only work with Mac OS X / Linux running on the monitor? :eek:

The latter (although you have a strange way of putting it), unless you pop up the hood and do some major hardware tweaking....

supergod

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
Every two months it seems someone wants to take the iMac and use it as a monitor. I don't understand why. The thing is really not the greatest looker, weighs a lot and is bulky. It's also expensive as hell. Check the forums and you'll see maybe ten posts with the same question and the same answer: definitely not.

BTW, you are seem to be very confused... Macs do not run Linux and the iMac is not a display, it is a computer. If you want a stylish (overpriced) display than you can purchase the apple cinema display and run Windows XP on it all the live-long day.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Yes, I know what an iMac is. I'm just saying it in a way that makes it sound bad and horrific :p

Anyways, too bad it can't be used as a regular monitor, then.

I was going to use it as a regular monitor, but since I can't; I purchased a Mini instead that came with a monitor (hurrah!)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Gary King said:
Yes, I know what an iMac is. I'm just saying it in a way that makes it sound bad and horrific :p

What I meant when I said that you had a strange way of asking is that the OS has nothing to do with it. This is true for pretty much any all-in-one or notebook from any manufacturer. The iMac G5 display will work for any OS that is compatible with the HW. If you buy a thinkpad or a PC all-in-one, you also will not, in pretty much every case of which I am aware, be able to drive the screen as a monitor for another device. Unless of course, you open it up and somehow solder a DVI plug in....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.