Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
IMG_2228.jpeg

1) With the Magic Keyboard on, the weight difference isn’t that noticeable (it is without the keyboard)

2) OLED is better, but Mini LED is very good as well

3) The escape row key is very hard to reach under the iPad screen (you can notice this this in my pic), limiting the utility

I can’t really justify $2,000 to upgrade - I really want the landscape camera and more storage though, so I will figure out which device to buy for that. I actually was very impressed with the 13” iPad Air I tried in store. I liked both 11 inch models as well.

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
View attachment 2379633

1) With the Magic Keyboard on, the weight difference isn’t that noticeable (it is without the keyboard)

2) OLED is better, but Mini LED is very good as well

3) The escape row key is very hard to reach under the iPad screen (you can notice this this in my pic), limiting the utility

I can’t really justify $2,000 to upgrade - I really want the landscape camera and more storage though, so I will figure out which device to buy for that. I actually was very impressed with the 13” iPad Air I tried in store. I liked both 11 inch models as well.
Since you have an M1, I can totally see why it isn’t worth $2,000 to you. I did make the upgrade from the M1, but there was nothing “wrong” with my M1. The keyboard is about 2 oz lighter than the old model, and the iPad is about 4 oz lighter, so combined it is still a decent improvement, though the 11” is still more portable and the 13” with keyboard is still ever so slightly heavier than a MacBook Air.

In practice, I have found the function row easy to access.

I went with nano (which requires the 1TB or 2TB) and am impressed with it, though you probably wouldn’t find it worth another $700 to go from the 256GB glossy to the 1TB nano model.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
A much better title for this thread is

New iPad Pro 13" improvements don't justify $2000 upgrade

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Which means that unlike a MacBook Air you can sign a document with an Apple Pencil (or draw things), and can disconnect the screen and still have a device that’s faster than the MacBook Air but weighs half as much.
Never used a pencil or keyboard with a iPad, have had them from the first one.
Good they are thinner/lighter, but not at the expense of worse speakers though, one thing I do use a lot.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
I will keep my current 13” model until a 13” Air is a meaningful upgrade (or I can upgrade for a total cost, including accessories, for under $1,000)

Until then - I am thinking about a simple iPad Air update, which will allow me to travel with a landscape front camera, M2 IPad that works with all my current keyboards and folders. It will cost $500-$700 to upgrade, but I will travel with this device now and use it more (basically it will become the primary iPad)

• Haha
Reactions: AlexMac89

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
That's a big part of the story overall for many I'd guess
Man are these things expensive
In fact, they are so expensive I am forced to pay in instalments, and that unfortunately doesn’t include keyboard and Apple Pencil accessory, both of which are also quite expensive.
With all the price Apple is asking, one has to wonder how long they can sell glorified iPhone for MacBook Air price.

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
The thing that can make me pick an iPad Pro M4 11" is the weight. Like what the actual hell. Not to mention M4 ultra snaps so quick faster than my fingers. [probably logical bias but i've never seen iPads snap so quick to touch [not even my old iPads were that superb on day 1]

Last iPad I've had was iPad 2 (lol) and iPad mini 2 (more lol) - been using iPhone (XYZ) Plus/Max more since and this one is easily close to pulling me back to the iPad.

Price did go up but considering it's 256GB not 64GB I'd say it's reasonable. First impressions really can tell the OLED screen is superb.

edit: in aus it costs 500$ to go from 11" to 13"... and 13" is bordering near MBP territory for me [that's where the MBP comes in handy at that point I'd pick either a M3 Max 16" or M4 Max [depending... alot of refurb in m3 max atm but with M4's benchmarks i'm kind of holding off again, not an urgent upgrade but definitely a WANT]... wont even benefit from more screen space i found 11" more than enough for something that's meant to be held and used on the go.

Reactions: viking_01

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
M1 or M2 to M4 isn't earth shattering, but I like it. The weight was significantly improved.
I think my game will sense the difference. But that’s just me, who is a heavy iPad user on its own right.
But I do agree that for light users, M1 isn’t going to be earth shattering by any means, especially for those who don’t care about accessories, which is kind of part of this M4 iPad Pro package.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I will keep my current 13” model until a 13” Air is a meaningful upgrade (or I can upgrade for a total cost, including accessories, for under $1,000)

Until then - I am thinking about a simple iPad Air update, which will allow me to travel with a landscape front camera, M2 IPad that works with all my current keyboards and folders. It will cost $500-$700 to upgrade, but I will travel with this device now and use it more (basically it will become the primary iPad)

Would be kinda hard for me to spend to downgrade. I understand your position because it’s my position too.

I would honestly just sell what you got and do the m4 13. 10 mins of testing in store doesn’t tell you the story. And in the long run it’s not going to be much difference. In a few months there’s the back to school discount.

In my case I don’t need extra storage or care much about camera but the landscape seems to work much better for me. I had cancelled pickup but still ended up getting an m4 on way home that day.

I’m leaning still towards returning as I don’t use iPad enough to warrant it. But I definitely wanted to try it out. (Not liking this returning things I have going this year. Avp and now this).

And part of me is still thinking I just want to get avp again as it was basically an ultimate iPad. Probably wait til after wwdc.

Anyway the new iPad is great. It’s a significant upgrade imo. Especially if used outside the magic kb. I may end up keeping it. I’m a confused sucker for tech. lol. It’s still clear as mud for me what I’ll do.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
That's a big part of the story overall for many I'd guess
Man are these things expensive

That's exactly it. I've stuck with my 2018 1TB (A12Z) because Apple is offering $350 as trade and the new equivalent setup is well over $2k with accessories. If I could at least USE the old accessories I might bite, but they won't even work and I have 3 Apple Pencil 2's.

I would totally spend the money if there was a single new thing that I needed it for over my current iPad. It's just such poor value as an upgrade because these devices have become eye-wateringly expensive with little in the way of functional improvements to justify the cost. I'm not an artist and can't exploit the new Pencil stuff.

Final Cut Camera might swing it for me because I think I need at least an M1 for that. I run a Podcast for fun (not profit) and this might help with my workflow. We will have to see.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
That's exactly it. I've stuck with my 2018 1TB (A12Z) because Apple is offering $350 as trade and the new equivalent setup is well over $2k with accessories. If I could at least USE the old accessories I might bite, but they won't even work and I have 3 Apple Pencil 2's.

A decent approach is to wait - historically the accessories go on sale on and off. If you don't need it now (and it sounds like it), it's best to play a waiting game. Compatible third party accessories could also launch that are cheaper and sufficient for you.

It's never a bad idea to stay within your budget, whatever that may be. No one is obliged to buy the latest iPad and empty their wallets - it's on Apple to sell these, not on the consumer to buy them.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
The weight is irrelevant because you just add your keys in the backpack and you’re back to the same weight as before.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
It's just such poor value as an upgrade because these devices have become eye-wateringly expensive with little in the way of functional improvements to justify the cost.

yep

Exactly the same on something like the MacBook Air M1

You can get that brand new for $650-700 and mint preowned for well under $600 w/ base specs (256/8gb)

The Apple refurb maxed out version (2TB/16gb) is $1549 (this is also a 4 year old machine!!)

8gb more RAM and a 2TB ssd should in no way be adding nearly $1,000 to the machine and functionally it adds almost nothing

(yes more RAM is good as is more storage, but not in the magnitude of the price hike to get it -- not close)

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
In fact, they are so expensive I am forced to pay in instalments, and that unfortunately doesn’t include keyboard and Apple Pencil accessory, both of which are also quite expensive.
With all the price Apple is asking, one has to wonder how long they can sell glorified iPhone for MacBook Air price.
Yea, that's why i'm struggling. My 2018 12.9 iPP is perfectly fine (aside from the battery being pretty terrible now). Until new software features come, I think i'll just keep my 2018 iPad and run it into the ground. The new iPad wouldn't make or allow me to do anything differently.Reinforcing how expensive these devices are, I can get the M3 MBA for £985 here in the UK from Costco, compared to £1,250 for the 13in M4 iPP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.