Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Yesterday I went through the painstaking process of updating the Metadata on each of my MP3s in order to ready them for their place in the cloud. A few hours later and my meager 820 song collection has all of it's metadata gaps filled.

Last night I went through the Itunes Match process, only about 25% of my songs weren't matched and had to be uploaded. This morning I replaced my less than 256kbps files with ones from iTunes Match.

Now I am ready to add files to my iPods, iPhone, and iPads. This is where I run into issues. When I try to add my collection to my devices I get the following error:

"Some of the items in the iTunes library, including XXXXX, were not copied to the iPhone "xxxx" because they are only available in iCloud

You must download items from iCloud before they can be copied to your iPhone"

Strange error seeing that I have all of my music collection downloaded to my pc already.

Has anyone else seen this error?

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Did you turnon itunes match on the devices? Settings, music....

I did. I can see the music in the cloud just fine from my iDevices.... but I would much rather just sync it over a cable from my PC since it's so much data.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I did. I can see the music in the cloud just fine from my iDevices.... but I would much rather just sync it over a cable from my PC since it's so much data.

u can no longer sync once iTunes Match is on, turn it off and sync first. after that enable iTunes match and u can just download the remaining few that u didnt synch, from the device when u actual need them. if thats what ur asking?

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
u can no longer sync once iTunes Match is on, turn it off and sync first. after that enable iTunes match and u can just download the remaining few that u didnt synch, from the device when u actual need them. if thats what ur asking?

I did not realize that I couldn't sync anymore after starting the iTunes Match service on the iDevice.

I am synching now..... hoping that when I turn the iTunes match service back on, that I wont lose those songs!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I did not realize that I couldn't sync anymore after starting the iTunes Match service on the iDevice.

I am synching now..... hoping that when I turn the iTunes match service back on, that I wont lose those songs!

dont worry u wont lose them. The message u get when u enable match on ur iDevice is completely misleading. Dont know what apple was thinking. Stuff u synched remains on the idevice, its just adding everything thats in the cloud for download

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Worked exactly as you described. Thanks ;)

I'll be your way in Stuttgart in a few weeks to enjoy the Christmas Markets and Gluwein

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
I've been experiencing this too, and the workaround works, but it's a curious thing to not be able to just drag songs over if your iPhone is connected anyway. I recently wiped my iPhone because I was futzing around with jailbreaking, and after going back to the stock backup, I am not about to download all those tracks from the cloud, even if I'm on wifi!

I wonder if Apple will change this. While it's certainly cool to be able to download something you don't have on ya at the time, it's a bit silly to not allow dragging from the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.