Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunnygirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
Queensland,Australia
I have bought 3 OS for this Imac 6.1 late 2006 model and it will not accept any of them.
Tiger,leopard and now snow leopard.
Is there any OS that works with theses Macs. Windows XP seems to work with EVERYTHING..
HELP.. my mac experience is a dark one.. Bill gates is looking awful kind nowadays. :(

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That iMac will work with retail (black discs) Leopard and Snow Leopard. As well as its restore (grey) Tiger discs.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Depending on what install media you have, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger will not work if you have a Retail DVD of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, only the grey Restore DVD for that iMac (which came with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger) will work.
For Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard you need the actual Retail DVDs, as the grey Restore DVDs will not work.

Apart from the above information, and the lack of information you provided, your iMac might be broken.

sunnygirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
Queensland,Australia
I dont have the original discs, I bought theses dark grey ones on ebay. Full os.
I hold down C and it spins a while then a message comes up........after the english bar...
MAC OS X cannot be installed on this computer..
OK.. Restart.

----------

I'm on the system profiler at the moment. What info. there would explain my Imac better? its a 2.33 ghz 667 bus speed SMC version 1.10f3
boot version IM61.0093.B07
Do you know this model?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Dark grey? Those are restore discs. Only the restore discs that are for your iMac model will work with it. You need the retail discs, they are black.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Yes, but not a Tiger disc. Only Leopard or Snow Leopard. All Tiger retail discs are PowerPC only and will not work with your iMac.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Yes that will work. But you can also buy Snow Leopard directly from Apple for a lower cost than that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.