Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of the annual New York International Auto Show, several automakers have announced new vehicles with first-time support for CarPlay, including the 2020 Toyota Highlander, 2020 Nissan Versa, and 2020 Hyundai Venue.

2020-highlander-carplay-800x534.jpg
2020 Toyota Highlander with wide 12.3-inch touchscreen in Platinum model

CarPlay will be a standard feature in the 2020 Toyota Highlander, equipped with a wide 12.3-inch touchscreen display on the highest-end Platinum trim and an 8-inch display on all other trims. Android Auto, Amazon Alexa, Waze, SiriusXM, and Wi-Fi connectivity through AT&T in the U.S. also come standard.

CarPlay and Android Auto come standard in the 2020 Hyundai Venue, the Korean automaker's all-new subcompact crossover SUV. All trims of the vehicle are equipped with an 8-inch touchscreen display.

Nissan is making CarPlay and Android Auto available as upgrade options in its 2020 Versa, equipped with a 7-inch touchscreen display.

CarPlay is wired in all three vehicles, with USB ports for connecting an iPhone via Lightning cable, providing convenient access to frequently used iPhone apps such as Phone, Messages, Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, Apple Music, Spotify, and those from the MLB and NHL directly from the dashboard.

Fully gas 2020 Highlander models will arrive at Toyota dealerships in December 2019, followed by hybrid models in February 2020. Hyundai says the 2020 Venue will arrive at dealerships in the fourth quarter of this year, and the 2020 Nissan Versa goes on sale in summer 2019. No prices were disclosed.

The New York International Auto Show opens to the public Friday.

Article Link: CarPlay Makes First-Ever Debut in 2020 Toyota Highlander, Nissan Versa, and All-New Hyundai Venue

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
This is frustrating beyond belief that wireless charging is offered in vehicles but not wireless CarPlay. And the fact that they are redesigning these vehicles and not implementing wireless CarPlay blows my mind.

Agreed. Why are BMW and Audi the only automakers with wireless CarPlay right now?

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Toyota held out way too long against CarPlay. I loved my Prius but was happy to get rid of it for a vehicle with CarPlay. I ruled out a new Prius because they didn't support it at the time.

And I think they still don't. Not sure why as Toyota just released a new version of the Prius. If all these cars got CarPlay, why not the Prius as well? I think they provide Qi wireless charging (at least on some models), so wireless CarPlay on longer trips wouldn't be so bad. I'd consider getting a new Prius if it had CarPlay, but my current Prius is still plenty good enough for my needs. Probably won't look to get a new car until my current one totally breaks down.

Reactions: nutmac

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Toyota held out way too long against CarPlay. I loved my Prius but was happy to get rid of it for a vehicle with CarPlay. I ruled out a new Prius because they didn't support it at the time.

Same with me and Acura. They waited too long.

GreenPixel

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2014
And I think they still don't. Not sure why as Toyota just released a new version of the Prius. If all these cars got CarPlay, why not the Prius as well? I think they provide Qi wireless charging (at least on some models), so wireless CarPlay on longer trips wouldn't be so bad. I'd consider getting a new Prius if it had CarPlay, but my current Prius is still plenty good enough for my needs. Probably won't look to get a new car until my current one totally breaks down.
Pretty crazy if they still don't support it in the Prius. I really liked 55mpg. Oh well. VW got my money instead.

Williesleg

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2014
10 years from now we'll all be saying 'remember when we used to plug our phones into our cars?'

It's so kludgey

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Agreed. Why are BMW and Audi the only automakers with wireless CarPlay right now?

Planned obsolesce. Can't put all the goodies out this year - why would anyone buy next year's model if they did that?
[doublepost=1555535329][/doublepost]
10 years from now we'll all be saying 'remember when we used to plug our phones into our cars?'

It's so kludgey

Ten years from now we'll own neither phones nor cars.

Phones will be replaced with wearables (or maybe implantables) and we'll switch to autonomous car sharing.

It's actually bizarre how long phones have been around. They replaced iPods and computers pretty quickly... it's interesting nothing has really knocked them off the throne yet.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011

The Germans are always a solid 5-10 years ahead of the competition - I expect GM & Ford will roll out wireless CarPlay in the next 3-5 years, & Toyota/Honda 7-10 years down the line.

It's been like this for years - you want cutting edge tech, you (usually) have to go with a German make.

CarPlay is great and all, but it's a shame that, in a way, CarPlay availability gives OEMs license to make really crappy experiences, relying on Apple/Google to pick up the slack.

Mick-Mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
While I continue to vomit blood every time I have to plug my iPhone into my 2018 Nissan Leaf's USB port just to bring up carplay, I gotta say that carplay still has a way to go. It sucks that (of all things) there is no Contacts app available in carplay! When is that ever going to appear?

Also, is it technically possible that some future firmware upgrade would enable carplay over WiFi in cars that already offer carplay and have WiFi connectivity? Do auto manufacturers even offer firmware upgrades for their (typically disgusting) touch screen user interfaces?

sigurros

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2003
Way too late on this, but a step in The right direction.

We really liked the Highlander but since there was no CarPlay we ended up with a GMC Acadia instead. The Toyota salesperson couldn’t believe CarPlay was the #1 must-have, so we walked.

We’ll revisit in a few years then.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
While I continue to vomit blood every time I have to plug my iPhone into my 2018 Nissan Leaf's USB port just to bring up carplay, I gotta say that carplay still has a way to go. It sucks that (of all things) there is no Contacts app available in carplay! When is that ever going to appear?

CarPlay can definitely be improved in many ways but it's so much better than those god-awful interfaces that come built in with cars.

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
I hope it’s wireless I hate to see a phone in the next few years not have a port thus leaving you with a car playless car

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015

What car did you replace your Prius with? It's interesting that the Prius is one of their most vehicles, yet all the other Toyota models seem to be getting it.

JWD

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
Too late Toyota, just purchased a Honda Pilot. Maybe next time...

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
BMWs interior and infotainment has been antiquated for year. They’ve not been 5-10 years ahead in a decade.

The Germans are always a solid 5-10 years ahead of the competition - I expect GM & Ford will roll out wireless CarPlay in the next 3-5 years, & Toyota/Honda 7-10 years down the line.

It's been like this for years - you want cutting edge tech, you (usually) have to go with a German make.

CarPlay is great and all, but it's a shame that, in a way, CarPlay availability gives OEMs license to make really crappy experiences, relying on Apple/Google to pick up the slack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.