Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mattress company Casper recently introduced its first non-bedding product, the Glow Light. Designed to help you fall asleep and wake up, the Glow Light provides timed, smart lighting that gets gradually dimmer or brighter based on your needs for the purpose of improving your sleeping habits.

Design

Casper's Glow Light will look familiar to Apple users because the design is reminiscent of the HomePod. The Glow Light is cylindrical in shape, with a flat top and a flat bottom, but it's about palm-sized and smaller than the HomePod.

glowlightsdesign-800x600.jpg

Made of a translucent plastic material, the Glow Light puts off a soft yellow light with several available brightness levels. Light emanates from the entire body of the lamp, with the exception of the top and bottom.

glowlightsbright-800x600.jpg

A wireless charging base provides power to the Glow Light, which does have a battery so it can be used when off of the stand. Both ends of the Glow Light can be used for charging purposes, so putting it on the charging base is hassle-free. Reversible charging is a nice touch because there's no need to pay attention to orientation.

glowlightwirelesscharger-800x600.jpg

The charging pads on the top and bottom of the Glow Light also double as buttons for certain gestures, but other than these areas, there are no other physical controls on the Glow Light. All adjustments are made via flips and turns thanks to a built-in accelerometer, though there are also iPhone control options.

glowlightcharger-800x600.jpg

The Glow Light puts off a soft yellow light and the color is not adjustable, but it can be made brighter or dimmer. At full strength, the Glow Light offers even lighting, but at its dimmer levels, the bottom lights up while the top remains dim.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Review: Casper's Easy-to-Use Glow Light Promises to Improve Your Sleep

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I personally just sleep without my shutters down. Works great and so much cheaper!

So, you live on the equator where there's no time difference in between seasons...;)
Or you always get up when it starts getting light, that means you have few hours of sleep in Summer and lots in Winter time.
No job.;)
I, like most people awake with an alarm clock, not ideal but I hate the above solution, I get up at 5 in the morning, if I use this I awake even earlier because of light, I prefer darkness when I sleep, complete darkness to be exact.

mrow

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
I’ve got three of these and they’re great. I do wish Casper would add some smart home support though, even if it is just in the form of Siri shortcuts support in the app so I can control them with Siri.

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
I’ve got three of these and they’re great. I do wish Casper would add some smart home support though, even if it is just in the form of Siri shortcuts support in the app so I can control them with Siri.
Great to hear that you like them! Mine are arriving today. I suggest sending feedback to Casper via social media or email, requesting HomeKit support. I and others have done the same. They're already beginning to integrate features requested by users, so every voice helps!

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Isn't that bad for your eyes?

I used to do that but noticed my head would start throbbing after a bit of time. Switched to an old Nook with a lamp instead.

These look pretty neat!

Not sure. I read on an iPad mini in dark mode with the brightness as low as it goes. I don't usually get eye pain from it. I do have a Kindle, but tend to use the iPad mini at night so I don't need a separate light.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
man people will buy anything with a "smart" in front of it... how much data do you really need/care about? Toothbrushes, bedlamps, what's next.. garbage cans?

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
An $89 lamp? Yeah, I know it’s a “smart” lamp, but that seems like a lot.
My decent quality lamp was $130 :/ After years of having no lamp then too big a lamp, getting the right lamp for the bedside was actually a good investment. I would probably consider the casper if we didn’t already have lamps. The 45 min to off is actually quite cool.
[doublepost=1551372527][/doublepost]
man people will buy anything with a "smart" in front of it... how much data do you really need/care about? Toothbrushes, bedlamps, what's next.. garbage cans?
Don’t diss my toothbrush! It gives me 30 second intervals to ensure I spend all 2 minutes brushing my teeth. Even the dentist noticed.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
My decent quality lamp was $130 :/ After years of having no lamp then too big a lamp, getting the right lamp for the bedside was actually a good investment. I would probably consider the casper if we didn’t already have lamps. The 45 min to off is actually quite cool.
[doublepost=1551372527][/doublepost]
Don’t diss my toothbrush! It gives me 30 second intervals to ensure I spend all 2 minutes brushing my teeth. Even the dentist noticed.
I mean yeah, a nice quality lamp will be expensive. But a $89 table lamp? Not sure that’s for me, but I do have sleeping issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.