Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today is the final day of CES 2019 in Las Vegas, where thousands of companies showed off their latest connected tech products. As usual, Apple did not have an official presence on the show floor, but there were several announcements and a wide variety of product unveilings that are tied to its ecosystem.

ces-apple.jpg

MacRumors attended CES 2019 and has shared numerous articles and videos on our YouTube channel about the show throughout the week. We've wrapped up some of the notable announcements from the week below.

AirPlay 2-enabled smart TVs

samsung_tv_itunes_app-800x507.jpg

Without attending, Apple stole some of CES 2019's thunder by announcing this week that AirPlay 2-enabled smart TVs are coming from leading manufacturers, including Samsung, LG, Sony, and Vizio. Meanwhile, up-and-coming Chinese smart TV brand TCL told MacRumors it is "currently committed to Roku."

Smart TVs from LG, Sony, and Vizio, but not Samsung, will also support HomeKit. Samsung smart TVs are, however, getting an exclusive iTunes TV and Movies app for accessing purchased and rented content from Apple's storefront.

AirPlay 2 is also coming to Harman Kardon's new Citation Series of speakers and the popular VLC streaming app for Android.

Mophie battery cases for iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR

mophie-juice-pack-iphone-xs-max-xr-800x495.jpg

Apple-certified accessory maker Mophie will be releasing Juice Pack Access battery cases for the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR for $119.95 each in the first quarter of 2019. The juice packs extend the battery life of the iPhone XS by up to 25 hours, and the iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR by up to 31 hours.

Unlike Apple's older Smart Battery Cases for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 7, the Juice Packs charge the iPhone wirelessly via the Qi standard, leaving the Lightning connector free for accessories and other uses. Apple is rumored to release a new Smart Battery Case for the iPhone XS, but has yet to do so.

HomeKit everything

netatmo-smart-doorbell-homekit.jpg

Numerous smart home accessories were unveiled at CES 2019 with HomeKit compatibility either at launch or promised later this year:Door Locks and Doorbells: Netatmo Smart Video Doorbell, Robin Telecom ProLine Doorbell, Kwikset Premis Contemporary and Mighton Avia
Lights and Switches: Nanoleaf Hexagon Light Panels, Eve Light Strip and Eve Energy Strip, Philips Hue outdoor lighting range, C by GE lights, Belkin Wemo switches, and Brilliant Control switches
Miscellaneous: Arlo Ultra 4K security camera, Gardena Smart System gardening range, U by Moen smart shower system, TP-Link Kasa smart plug, Honeywell Home T9 and T10 Pro smart thermostats, IKEA Kadrilj and Fyrtur smart blinds, and First Alert's second-generation Safe & Sound all-in-one smoke and carbon monoxide detector and speakerApple-certified Lightning to USB-C cables

usb-c-to-lightning-griffin-trimmed.jpg

Last month, Apple informed members of its Made for iPhone program that third-party Lightning to USB-C cables are now permitted to be manufactured, and CES 2019 saw the introduction of the first options from Belkin and Griffin. The cables will be available from both accessory makers in the spring.

CarPlay receivers

alpine-ilx-w650-carplay-800x452.jpg

CarPlay is now factory installed in well over 400 vehicle models, but some makes and models along with older vehicles do not support Apple's in-car software platform. For this, there are aftermarket CarPlay receivers, and we saw new wired and wireless options debut from Kenwood and JVC, Sony, and Alpine at CES 2019.

Pioneer also unveiled its latest receiver that turns an iPhone or Android smartphone into a car entertainment display.

Docks, chargers, and cases

otterboxpopsocket-800x525.jpg
Elgato unveiled its Thunderbolt 3 Pro Dock with two USB-C ports, two USB-A ports, two Thunderbolt 3 ports, one DisplayPort 1.2, one Gigabit Ethernet port, a 3.5mm audio output, and SD and microSD card readers.
Anker announced that its PowerPort Atom PD 1 power adapter, which it calls "the world's smallest Power Delivery wall charger," will be available to order later this month. Priced at $29.99 in the United States.
Satechi released two new power adapters with combo USB-C and USB-A ports.
ZAGG unveiled a new line of keyboards for the latest iPad and iPad Pro models.
OtterBox announced a partnership with PopSockets for a new series of "Otter + Pop" cases for iPhonesVideos: Best of CES 2019 and its Unveiled, Pepcom, and ShowStoppers events

For additional announcements and coverage, check out our CES 2019 news hub.

Article Link: CES 2019 Wrap-Up: AirPlay 2 TVs, Battery Cases for Latest iPhones, Third-Party Lightning to USB-C Cables, and More

warp9

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2017
That picture of the iTunes icon on the smart tv suddenly makes it clear why Apple is doing this. Most people don't have a separate streaming box connected to the tv and Apple has been absent from that media lineup. Out of sight, out of mind.

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Smart TVs from LG, Sony, and Vizio, but not Samsung, will also support HomeKit. Samsung smart TVs are, however, getting an exclusive iTunes TV and Movies app for accessing purchased and rented content from Apple's storefront.

Oh well. So much for Apple's ambition to own and simplify the television. Too many players with the same goal.

Meanwhile, here's some interesting remarks from Steve Jobs on his opinion of the television experience.

Does anyone recall the so-called Apple Macintosh TV (yr. 1993)? It was a Macintosh LC series PC with a tv tuner built-in.

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
Wow... that was depressing. There's nothing in that trade show that's innovative. It's all revamps on things that already exist, and seriously... a toilet with Alexa? I know it's CES, but the amount of useless landfill stuff is proof that this world is doomed.

Reactions: unplugme71

ra535i

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
Wow... that was depressing. There's nothing in that trade show that's innovative. It's all revamps on things that already exist, and seriously... a toilet with Alexa? I know it's CES, but the amount of useless landfill stuff is proof that this world is doomed.

This is an inaccurate statement. I just finished my last day and there was a ton of innovation. Apple just isn't their focus for their tech. However, one thing I came across while on the floor was a wireless charger that can charge either your iphone OR your apple watch. They're the first to pull it off. One thing i will say about CES this year, google home hubs were EVERYWHERE. Homekit supported tech were few and far between. this article legit had to go out of their way to find these products.

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
This is an inaccurate statement. I just finished my last day and there was a ton of innovation. Apple just isn't their focus for their tech. However, one thing I came across while on the floor was a wireless charger that can charge either your iphone OR your apple watch. They're the first to pull it off. One thing i will say about CES this year, google home hubs were EVERYWHERE. Homekit supported tech were few and far between. this article legit had to go out of their way to find these products.

Your example solves a problem of removing a wire.

I get your point that home hub is "everywhere", but can you give me an example of a new technology? Not just something that adapts an existing product, but where a new combination of tech does something new? Not more conveniently, but new?

Because if it's not new, it's just market positioning and lining up with your favourite FANG company.

ra535i

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
Your example solves a problem of removing a wire.

I get your point that home hub is "everywhere", but can you give me an example of a new technology? Not just something that adapts an existing product, but where a new combination of tech does something new? Not more conveniently, but new?

Because if it's not new, it's just market positioning and lining up with your favourite FANG company.

There was a university that created some 3d sound tech that utilized binaural "hacking" that made your ears and brain believe sound was coming at you from all directions unlike anything i've ever heard/felt before from an atmos/surround setup. Imagine a speaker over your right shoulder speaking/whispering to you. Now imagine an actual human over your shoulder speaking/whispering to you. This is what this tech did. You didn't just hear it, you felt it. It was ****ing amazing. it required head tracking and a single soundbar that sat on a laptop. if it ever gets the proper funding it would kill atmos/dts:x as we know it. This has nothing to do with apple or android. It was legit amazing innovation.

**edit**
just found their card in one of my 100s of free bags. here's the link to their site.
https://futureworlds.com/audioscenic/

Last edited:
Reactions: drumcat

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
Well that’s promising. Nice!

I guess I just turned into one of those people that thinks that Apple isn’t innovative lately. I would defend the watch team, and the AirPod team. Everything else in hardware isn’t getting better; it’s getting jostled around.

My 2015 MBP, 6s+, and iPad Pro 10.5 are really looking like peaks. All this “smart home” stuff looks very overcooked. I am sure I sound like “where is my flying car”, but the Apple ecosystem as it stands today seems very mature... and that’s not a compliment.

spiddyman007

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2017

Today is the final day of CES 2019 in Las Vegas, where thousands of companies showed off their latest connected tech products. As usual, Apple did not have an official presence on the show floor, but there were several announcements and a wide variety of product unveilings that are tied to its ecosystem.

ces-apple.jpg

MacRumors attended CES 2019 and has shared numerous articles and videos on our YouTube channel about the show throughout the week. We've wrapped up some of the notable announcements from the week below.

AirPlay 2-enabled smart TVs

samsung_tv_itunes_app-800x507.jpg

Without attending, Apple stole some of CES 2019's thunder by announcing this week that AirPlay 2-enabled smart TVs are coming from leading manufacturers, including Samsung, LG, Sony, and Vizio. Meanwhile, up-and-coming Chinese smart TV brand TCL told MacRumors it is "currently committed to Roku."

AirPlay 2 is also coming to Harman Kardon's new Citation Series of speakers and the popular VLC streaming app for Android.

Mophie battery cases for iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR

mophie-juice-pack-iphone-xs-max-xr-800x495.jpg

Apple-certified accessory maker Mophie will be releasing Juice Pack Access battery cases for the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR for $119.95 each in the first quarter of 2019. The juice packs extend the battery life of the iPhone XS by up to 25 hours, and the iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR by up to 31 hours.

Unlike Apple's older Smart Battery Cases for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 7, the Juice Packs charge the iPhone wirelessly via the Qi standard, leaving the Lightning connector free for accessories and other uses. Apple is rumored to release a new Smart Battery Case for the iPhone XS, but has yet to do so.

HomeKit everything

netatmo-smart-doorbell-homekit.jpg

Numerous smart home accessories were unveiled at CES 2019 with HomeKit compatibility either at launch or promised later this year:Door Locks and Doorbells: Netatmo Smart Video Doorbell, Robin Telecom ProLine Doorbell, Kwikset Premis Contemporary and Mighton Avia
Lights and Switches: Nanoleaf Hexagon Light Panels, Eve Light Strip and Eve Energy Strip, Philips Hue outdoor lighting range, C by GE lights, Belkin Wemo switches, and Brilliant Control switches
Miscellaneous: Arlo Ultra 4K security camera, Gardena Smart System gardening range, U by Moen smart shower system, TP-Link Kasa smart plug, Honeywell Home T9 and T10 Pro smart thermostats, IKEA Kadrilj and Fyrtur smart blinds, and First Alert's second-generation Safe & Sound all-in-one smoke and carbon monoxide detector and speakerApple-certified Lightning to USB-C cables

usb-c-to-lightning-griffin-trimmed.jpg

Last month, Apple informed members of its Made for iPhone program that third-party Lightning to USB-C cables are now permitted to be manufactured, and CES 2019 saw the introduction of the first options from Belkin and Griffin. The cables will be available from both accessory makers in the spring.

CarPlay receivers

alpine-ilx-w650-carplay-800x452.jpg

CarPlay is now factory installed in well over 400 vehicle models, but some makes and models along with older vehicles do not support Apple's in-car software platform. For this, there are aftermarket CarPlay receivers, and we saw new wired and wireless options debut from Kenwood and JVC, Sony, and Alpine at CES 2019.

Pioneer also unveiled its latest receiver that turns an iPhone or Android smartphone into a car entertainment display.

Docks, chargers, and cases

otterboxpopsocket-800x525.jpg
Elgato unveiled its Thunderbolt 3 Pro Dock with two USB-C ports, two USB-A ports, two Thunderbolt 3 ports, one DisplayPort 1.2, one Gigabit Ethernet port, a 3.5mm audio output, and SD and microSD card readers.
Anker announced that its PowerPort Atom PD 1 power adapter, which it calls "the world's smallest Power Delivery wall charger," will be available to order later this month. Priced at $29.99 in the United States.
Satechi released two new power adapters with combo USB-C and USB-A ports.
ZAGG unveiled a new line of keyboards for the latest iPad and iPad Pro models.
OtterBox announced a partnership with PopSockets for a new series of "Otter + Pop" cases for iPhonesVideos: Best of CES 2019 and its Unveiled, Pepcom, and ShowStoppers events

For additional announcements and coverage, check out our CES 2019 news hub.

Article Link: CES 2019 Wrap-Up: AirPlay 2 TVs, Battery Cases for Latest iPhones, Third-Party Lightning to USB-C Cables, and More
CarPlay needs to be wireless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.