Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The 2019 Consumer Electronics Show officially kicked off today, with thousands of vendors showing off everything from smart toilets to new battery packs for the iPhone.

At CES, there are several major media events that are less overwhelming than the show floor, like Unveiled, Pepcom, and ShowStoppers. Pepcom took place last night, and MacRumors was on hand to check out some of the most interesting products and accessories that were being demoed.

Mophie is showing off its new Juice Pack battery cases for iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR at CES, and was on hand at Pepcom for a quick hands-on. The new cases charge the iPhone using Qi wireless charging, leaving the Lightning port free in case you want to plug in real quick or use Lightning based headphones. The cases themselves charge via Qi wireless charging or over USB-C, and Mophie plans to launch them in the first quarter of 2019 for $119.95.

Tons of other accessories were available at Pepcom, like Otterbox's new Otter + Pop iPhone cases, which it created in partnership with PopSocket. There's a collapsible, interchangeable PopGrip on the back of the new Otter + Pop case, which PopSocket lovers are sure to like.

There were no shortage of HomeKit devices at Pepcom, with many manufacturers introducing new HomeKit-compatible accessories at CES. We got to see Brilliant's smart light switch in action, a product that will soon support HomeKit. The Brilliant Control replaces any existing light switch and adds physical controls along with a touch display that can be used to control other smart devices in the home.

Parents might be interested in the $149 Coolpad Dyno Smartwatch, which, while not iOS-based, is useful for children. It's an Android smart watch that has built-in LTE connectivity and a simple UI that's easy for kids to use. It can be used to send a call or a text to a parent, with a built-in SOS safety feature that calls 911 in an emergency if parents can't be reached. It is water resistant, durable, and has GPS tracking so parents can keep an eye on their kids' location.

The Cemtrex Smartdesk caught our eye because it's a massive desk with a PC built right in. It comes equipped with three integrated touch displays that all work together, gesture support, a wireless charging pad, and sit/stand adjustability. There are plenty of other bells and whistles, which is unsurprising because this desk costs $4,499 to $5,699. Cemtrex doesn't have a Mac option right now, but says one could launch in the future.

Telepresence devices have been around for awhile, but the latest is Temi, the personal robot. Priced at $1,500, Temi is a home robot that can navigate around the house, let you communicate with friends and family, help you cook, follow you, and tons more.

For those who like the outdoors, Furrion was on-hand with weatherproof electronics like a 4K TV, a waterproof solar battery, and a massive battery powered cooler that makes camping a whole lot nicer.

Finally, we got to see Aibo, Sony's robotic dog. Priced at $3,000, Aibo is an adorable, endearing little robot that offers the companionship of a pet without the downsides like fur and cleanup. Aibo features a unique personality, lifelike movements, and an innate curiosity about its environment. Aibo learns its environment, develops relationships with people, and becomes smarter over time.

Want to see more cool tech being shown off at CES? Make sure to check out our CES Unveiled video from yesterday and our full CES 2019 hub. Stay tuned to MacRumors, because we'll also have more videos coming later this week.

Article Link: CES 2019: The Best of Pepcom With Mophie, Brilliant, Aibo and More

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Is it me that this CES is not really a big deal?
Despite few interesting products, I am not seeing anything awesome. Big let down IMO.

jhulgan

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2014
AL
Forgive me if this seems petty, but how are we in 2019 now and everyone’s GUI animations still lack responsiveness and lag. I can’t help but notice it on every interaction. It kills the illusion of this “futuristic” tech.

Reactions: Vanilla35

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Forgive me if this seems petty, but how are we in 2019 now and everyone’s GUI animations still lack responsiveness and lag. I can’t help but notice it on every interaction. It kills the illusion of this “futuristic” tech.

Apple's software has gotten less smooth over time as well. Tesla's UI is great though, I must say.

tom.humphrey

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2011
That Cemtrex SmartDesk must have a bigger profit margin on it then most Apple products! The specs are pretty basic and non descript for 5k

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.