Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adriantoll

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Scotland
I have a large collection of CDs that I digitised (128k AAC), and I've also bought music from the iTunes store. Unfortunately (well, sort of) this means that I have 80Gb+ of music on an external hard drive and therefore can't sync everything to my 40Gb iPod. Apple seems only to be updating the iPods with things like photo storage, colour displays and so on, rather than increasing the size of storage. I realise I'm probably in a minority in terms of the size of my music collection, but I'd really love to see a large increase in the maximum HD size of iPods. I presume that this will come at some point as people use them more and more for photos, as the 60Gb version shows. But what are the chances of a *big* increase in HD size?

And BTW, how many people actually use their iPod Photo for photo storage, and what's the picture quality like?

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
I never use mine for photos but I like the colour screen :)
the quality of the screen is OK but the camera connector is too slow and carrying photos around that you sync with the computer is not really that useful.

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
adriantoll said:
I have a large collection of CDs that I digitised (128k AAC), and I've also bought music from the iTunes store. Unfortunately (well, sort of) this means that I have 80Gb+ of music on an external hard drive and therefore can't sync everything to my 40Gb iPod. Apple seems only to be updating the iPods with things like photo storage, colour displays and so on, rather than increasing the size of storage. I realise I'm probably in a minority in terms of the size of my music collection, but I'd really love to see a large increase in the maximum HD size of iPods. I presume that this will come at some point as people use them more and more for photos, as the 60Gb version shows. But what are the chances of a *big* increase in HD size?

And BTW, how many people actually use their iPod Photo for photo storage, and what's the picture quality like?
100gb Hard drives of the physical size required to fit inside an iPod do not exist, and probably wont for another year or two.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I don't see it till Apple adds video support to the iPod line. Hopefully then they will have a solid alternative to the Epson P-2000 photo storage unit. An iPod maxi would do well in my opinion. My shop can't keep the P-2000 in stock.

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
Not only are you a very small minority, but most of the people in your situation realize that there is now ay to listen to every single album. I can barely get to every single one on my 20 gig and I have 35 gigs on mycomputer. Why don't I upgrade? Because, I know I can fit with a bit of squishing and cutting everything I need. Now it may not be everything I want, but maybe you should look again at your library and see if you honesly need every single song. I mean I have all my stuff encded in 360 kbps and its still 140 albums. That means you have something like 1,000 albums. Honestly, will you miss something if you leave stuff at home? You must have every album of every artist you love and you must love hunreds of artists.

punkbass25

macrumors member
May 16, 2005
javiercr said:
I never use mine for photos but I like the colour screen :)
the quality of the screen is OK but the camera connector is too slow and carrying photos around that you sync with the computer is not really that useful.
i use mine for photo's and the screen is pretty nice for the size. color screen is very nice.. and carrying photo's around IS useful becaus emy ipod is smaller than even ONE full roll of photos. and all i need to do is find a TV with RCA inputs to show them nice and big to everyoine. this feature has come in handy for me MANY times.

also yes the camera connector is slow. HOWEVER now you can just plug the camera STRRAIGHT into the ipod. and transfer speeds have improved some since this has happened, the camera connector defeated the functionality of the photo transfer, now you just need a USB adapter to change your iPod usb cable to miniusb to plug into your camera and your set.

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
I can't see that all 80/100gb of the music you have, that you'll like most of it. On every allbum theres a few songs that I hate, and a few songs I love. I'm sure with a bit of tidying up, you'll only need a 40gb iPod, still with some songs that you are not keen on.

::20ROGERSC::

adriantoll

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Scotland
Well, no I don't *need* all my music on my iPod :rolleyes: but I do have to cut out things that I would like to have on there. I have about 20,000 songs / 1800 albums in iTunes, and I'm not prepared to spend ages going through them sifting them individually so I can fit them on my iPod. This means that I just add artists as a chunk, including some of the duff tunes. BUT, the thing I love about doing that (or even adding entire genres) and shuffling the entire 40Gb is that I usually rediscover something that I'd forgotten about - the most recent being "Bright Red" by Laurie Anderson which has been at the top of my playlist for a few weeks now.

I'm also lazy - I don't want to have to go to the trouble (and it is a trouble - think about how long it takes to work out your 10 desert island discs (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/desertislanddiscs.shtml) and then multiply that by the amount of music you can get into 40Gb).

In terms of the size of drives, I'd be willing to trade off the extra disk space for a larger iPod - the 40Gb are already larger than the 20Gb, so I'd expect that. I'd only use it for long trips - for example, I work at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe every year and stay there for the whole of August. I don't want to have to drag my firewire drive there just for my music (but I might...)

Interesting about the iPod Photo - I like the idea of being able to show things on people's TV with the cable. It'd be even better if it was wireless :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.