Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Head_Unit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2020
Well, I know how to change it:
Finder Preferences --> General --> New Finder Windows Show --> [select]
BUT
I want it to default to "This Mac" to search ALL the locations. For instance one of my machines has an SSD strapped on as a boot disc (works fine but looks ugly). I guess I can search "iMac's iMac"? Or "iMac"? Being a somewhat OCD engineer, though, I'd like it to just search the "This Mac" tab inside the finder window directly.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I don't understand your query. What does the new Finder winder settings have to do with searching all the locations? Searching and opening a new Finder window are two different things

If you want to have some kind of special options set for your search you want those saved then you use use the saved searches functionality in Finder.

Head_Unit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2020
Ah sorry, let me rephrase. And to some extent you're right, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Open a Finder window, go to the search box. The search defaults to whatever folder you are in, and just to the left of that is "This Mac." I can see how to set the default search location in the Finder window to be "iMac" or "128GB SSD" or whatever.

I want to search ALL the drives since one machine has a few, which I think is "This Mac"-however in the PReferences there is no choice called "This Mac"

Does that make any more sense? thanks

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Mine does not. It defaults to My Mac.

Screenshot 2020-10-28 at 16.53.07.png

Go into Finder Preferences, then Advanced. Change When performing a search to "Search This Mac"

Screenshot 2020-10-28 at 16.53.28.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.