Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The newest build (58.0.3020.0) of Chrome Canary, Google's experimental browser, includes support for the Touch Bar built into the 2016 MacBook Pro, indicating Touch Bar support will soon be added to the Chrome browser.

On the Touch Bar, the current Chrome Canary build offers a search/URL bar, forward and back buttons, a refresh/stop option, a button for opening a new tab, and a button for adding a new bookmark.

macbookprochrometouchbar-800x536.jpg

It's much a simpler implementation than Touch Bar support in Safari, which includes preview tabs for quickly switching between windows. There are also no controls available for video or music playback in the browser.

Features are tested in Canary before being added release builds of the Google Chrome browser, so Touch Bar support is expected in Chrome 58, set to be released during the week of April 25th.

Those who want to give Touch Bar support a try ahead of the release of Chrome 58 can download Chrome Canary from Google.

Article Link: Latest Chrome Canary Build Includes Support for MacBook Pro Touch Bar

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Looking forward to it, but I don't use the Touch Bar for anything. It's still much faster to use keyboard shortcuts.\

I can see this being good for my folks or other people who are less familiar with keyboard shortcuts.

Thank you for saying this! Too many people kept saying the touchbar is gimmicky and etc. or that they wont use it probably don't understand that not everyone remembers shortcut keys. And the touchbar made the function keys much more useful.

It's probably not a groundbreaking feature, but it's a useful addition nonetheless. And for those who screams no physical tactile feedback, I wonder how many people can actually press the function keys without looking at it.

Reactions: sos47

atikalz

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2016
Thank you for saying this! Too many people kept saying the touchbar is gimmicky and etc. or that they wont use it probably don't understand that not everyone remembers shortcut keys. And the touchbar made the function keys much more useful.

It's probably not a groundbreaking feature, but it's a useful addition nonetheless. And for those who screams no physical tactile feedback, I wonder how many people can actually press the function keys without looking at it.
It's not about looking at keys. It's about a haptic feel for buttons — where they are, if you are pressing them or if you only lay your fingers on and don't push. All that is not possible with the redundant, useless and disappointing touchbar. I need the esc button all day long and without haptic it sucks.

Reactions: jblagden

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
It's not about looking at keys. It's about a haptic feel for buttons — where they are, if you are pressing them or if you only lay your fingers on and don't push. All that is not possible with the redundant, useless and disappointing touchbar. I need the esc button all day long and without haptic it sucks.
Haptic feedback will probably be in 1-2 years time, but what I'm referring to is those who wanted physical tactile keys

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
And for those who screams no physical tactile feedback, I wonder how many people can actually press the function keys without looking at it.

If you've been using Windows for any length of time, you can hit alt-F4 without looking.

I find the touch bar far more useful as a focused information display and not as input. I was giving a Keynote presentation directly from the screen and I looked down and there was the time and thumbnails of the slides left. Then I pressed right arrow.

Apple's keyboard shortcuts are good enough (like what other Alt-Fkey combination do you use in Windows) that the touch bar isn't necessary. But screens are cluttered enough where a dedicated info strip is useful.

Reactions: Kengineer

Carlson-online

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2004
Excellent news.

FYI, this doesn't just effect chrome, but anything that uses it ( e.g. Electron/ Atom / VS Code ) they've been waiting for this to land

Reactions: wheelhot

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Wait. Wut. Chrome? How about releasing a MacBook with a processor that isn't struggling to run Chrome?

Apple really needs to focus on fundamentals, not features, for a few cycles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Substance90

Substance90

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
Man, they are trying really hard to make the Macbook a joke among actual "pro" users. First they remove features the pros need and then they add useless features on top, just to add insult to injury. :(

I guess I'll work on my maxed out 2014 MBP a few more years and then switch to a Windows laptop.

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
There's nothing useful about the Touchbar, other than perhaps scrolling through a song without opening Spotify or iTunes. Especially when working on 2 displays, the last thing I wanna do is interrupt my focus to look down on this wonky emojistrip. I also wish the new MBPs had the option to ship without it.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Why isn't the escape key at the very left end of the touchbar?
What is the purpose of it being offset relative to the tilde key?
Yeah, it's an odd design choice, though I noticed that you can trigger the esc key if you pressed at the very left end

Reactions: konqerror

atikalz

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2016
Why isn't the escape key at the very left end of the touchbar?
What is the purpose of it being offset relative to the tilde key?
That's because John Ive (the man who invented a round mouse) needs everything aligned perfect optically instead of ergonomic and usable. And the right side needed to be offset because of touch id.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
There's nothing useful about the Touchbar, other than perhaps scrolling through a song without opening Spotify or iTunes. Especially when working on 2 displays, the last thing I wanna do is interrupt my focus to look down on this wonky emojistrip. I also wish the new MBPs had the option to ship without it.
Apple needs a reason to up the price by € 500,-. The ergonomic touchbar disaster is one of them. They target one finger typing persons who have to look down at the keyboard anyway. It's about 5 years ago Apple targeted the heavy user anyway.

atikalz

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2016
Apple needs a reason to up the price by € 500,-. The ergonomic touchbar disaster is one of them. They target one finger typing persons who have to look down at the keyboard anyway. It's about 5 years ago Apple targeted the heavy user anyway.
But who besides pros and heavy users pay more than 3 thousand cash for a laptop?

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
But who besides pros and heavy users pay more than 3 thousand cash for a laptop?
The same people who buy Gucci and Prada. The target audience of Apple today are the novice tech people who aren't interested in the best or value for money and those same people aren't that demanding in wanting the best in money can buy. Apple wants to be a status symbol. They always were a bit more expensive in history but they were better then their competitors too. Today it's 'bling', status and overpriced minus premium delivery.

Franshans

Suspended
Dec 27, 2016
Man, they are trying really hard to make the Macbook a joke among actual "pro" users. First they remove features the pros need and then they add useless features on top, just to add insult to injury. :(

I guess I'll work on my maxed out 2014 MBP a few more years and then switch to a Windows laptop.
Why won't you look at what Apple is offering in a few more years?
A lot can happen in a few years.

Reactions: Substance90

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
I did now. Should it actually be enabled or disabled? (I haven't changed anything for yonks – Chrome just started boiling a month ago or so)

Thanks for the suggestion, curious what it will do now!

GPU acceleration should minimize CPU usage, which should lower the CPU temperature.

Reactions: navaira
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.