Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
As a preface, this is a purely academic thread just for fun, obviously this is a very obscure idea.

I was digging through some stuff and found my very first Civ III Mac CD that I had in a bag, and I got thinking about it. I recall having the chance to get a clamshell iBook G3 for only $300 back in around 2004-05 and was seriously considering it, but turned it down. One of the reasons was that CivIII would not work on it. It needs 1024x768 minimum resolution to run, and could not be patched to run with 800x600. (Looking back now I hate that I passed on that deal, it was a 466 Key Lime which are incredibly rare now)

Now I'm curious to see if this can be done with today's hardware upgrades. I've heard that some people have successfully dropped 1024x768 panels into these things, which would get over this hurdle. Otherwise, I do recall people with low-res Windows notebooks using programs that would emulate a higher resolution desktop, making you scroll around the screen to take everything in, and I knew guys that played Civ on netbooks with them. If something like this exists for the ancient Mac OS versions that may be possible too.

If anyone here has a screen-upgraded clamshell or knows of a program that can do the aforementioned resolution bump, I'd love to see you run the game on your iBook. You may very well be the first person in the world to do it.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Otherwise, I do recall people with low-res Windows notebooks using programs that would emulate a higher resolution desktop, making you scroll around the screen to take everything in, and I knew guys that played Civ on netbooks with them.
You cannot run higher-than-native scaled resolutions on OS X on PPC Macs. That officially came with Lion.

For classic Mac OS, Sonnet Screen Doubler does the trick, but it only works with their Sonata SD graphics card.

Actually the Sonata’s manual includes a screenshot of available resolutions on OS X using a 21” Studio Display running at 1280×1024… including 1280×2048, 2560×1024 and 2560×2048, which are higher-than-native (panning) resolutions…

Last edited:
As a preface, this is a purely academic thread just for fun, obviously this is a very obscure idea.

I was digging through some stuff and found my very first Civ III Mac CD that I had in a bag, and I got thinking about it. I recall having the chance to get a clamshell iBook G3 for only $300 back in around 2004-05 and was seriously considering it, but turned it down. One of the reasons was that CivIII would not work on it. It needs 1024x768 minimum resolution to run, and could not be patched to run with 800x600. (Looking back now I hate that I passed on that deal, it was a 466 Key Lime which are incredibly rare now)

Now I'm curious to see if this can be done with today's hardware upgrades. I've heard that some people have successfully dropped 1024x768 panels into these things, which would get over this hurdle. Otherwise, I do recall people with low-res Windows notebooks using programs that would emulate a higher resolution desktop, making you scroll around the screen to take everything in, and I knew guys that played Civ on netbooks with them. If something like this exists for the ancient Mac OS versions that may be possible too.

If anyone here has a screen-upgraded clamshell or knows of a program that can do the aforementioned resolution bump, I'd love to see you run the game on your iBook. You may very well be the first person in the world to do it.

I’ll need to find a copy of Civilization III (I’m completely unfamiliar with the game or series) first. I’d be happy to test this out — whether running it from the hard drive or from the ODD (which, on my key lime, is a DVD-RW because of course I’m extra like that).

As for doing the XGA conversion again, I might someday see myself doing the same again for another key lime 466 I could someday come across, but once (and procuring the pieces needed to make it happen) was enough for me.

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
It does look like it can be done on the windows version, by adding the line "keepres=1" to your Civilization3.ini file. also keepres may be case case sensitive "KeepRes" instead. I could test this stuff with the steam version, but that wouldn't exactly help you. And my old Mac hardware is currently not really set up for testing right now.

It's funny, I got way into Civ1, 2, and 4, but not 3. Missed that one completely. Also found some more details about the releases relevant to PPC Macs, because there was more than one release, by two different companies: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ons-and-os-compatibility-table-inside.682353/

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
It does look like it can be done on the windows version, by adding the line "keepres=1" to your Civilization3.ini file. also keepres may be case case sensitive "KeepRes" instead. I could test this stuff with the steam version, but that wouldn't exactly help you. And my old Mac hardware is currently not really set up for testing right now.

It's funny, I got way into Civ1, 2, and 4, but not 3. Missed that one completely. Also found some more details about the releases relevant to PPC Macs, because there was more than one release, by two different companies: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ons-and-os-compatibility-table-inside.682353/
Thanks for looking into this. I do recall KeepRes, but as you say it's a Windows only thing. From what that thread shows, the minimum res is 1024x768 in the selector as well which makes sense, the game is hardcoded to run at 1024x768; even when using KeepRes or any higher resolution all of the game menus and interface are still at 1024x768 with black bars, only the actual game map scales to the higher resolution.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
You cannot run higher-than-native scaled resolutions on OS X on PPC Macs. That came with Lion.
Not entirely true. It depends on the macOS version, and also the GPU driver and how much you want to scale.
The AllRez output for the Nvidia 7800 GT in my Quad G5 running 10.5 says that it can DownSamplePixels:
IOFBScalerInfo = { version:0 maxPixels:8192x4096 options(UpSamplePixels,DownSamplePixels,ScaleInterlaced,SupportInset,Rotate,) 30.0.0.0.0.0.0.0 };
In 10.4 it doesn't mention Down Sampling capability:
IOFBScalerInfo = { version:0 maxPixels:8192x4096 options(UpSamplePixels,ScaleInterlaced,) 30.0.0.0.0.0.0.0 };

The scale-resolutions code has existed in the IOKitUser source code since 67.1 which is for Mac OS X 10.1.2.
https://opensource.apple.com/releases/
https://github.com/apple-oss-distri.../graphics.subproj/IOGraphicsLib.c#L1167-L1229

Actually, the IOFBScalerInfo for 10.5 might not be accurate. In IOKitUser-297.10 (10.4.8 for Intel, 10.5 for PPC), there's this line which clears the CanDownSamplePixels flag:
Code:
	// no downscaling
	connectRef->scalerInfo->scalerFeatures &= ~kIOScaleCanDownSamplePixels;
The line exists until IOKitUser-647.6.10 (10.7.2).
After that, starting from 10.7.3 IOKitUser-647.6.13, down sampling should work.

Why did Apple clear the flag in 10.4.8 for Intel and 10.5 for PPC? Did down sampling work for any GPU before those Mac OS X versions? What if we patch IOKitUser to not clear the flag? I think it's in the IOKit.Framework.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Not entirely true. It depends on the macOS version, and also the GPU driver and how much you want to scale.
Thanks for the heads-up.

The AllRez output for the Nvidia 7800 GT in my Quad G5 running 10.5 says that it can DownSamplePixels:
I see it also says maxPixels: 8192x4096. So it seems that limit has been around for some time.

The scale-resolutions code has existed in the IOKitUser source code since 67.1 which is for Mac OS X 10.1.2.
I supposed it (initially) handled upscaling lower-than-native resolutions for LCDs without a scaler.

Why did Apple clear the flag in 10.4.8 for Intel and 10.5 for PPC? Did down sampling work for any GPU before those Mac OS X versions?
That's worth testing. I have an iBook G4 and a Core Duo Mac mini which can run <10.4.8.

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
That's worth testing.
I made patches (ppc_7500, ppc64, i386, x86_64) for the Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard IOKit.framework.

I have a 1920x1200 display connected to a GT 7800 in a Quad G5. I can now use scaled modes 2560x1600 and 3456x2160.

3840x2400 caused the screen to go black but the cursor was visible and tiny.
I also made modes 6544x4090 and 6552x4094 which had the same problem.

I only tested 16:10 modes and only on the Quad G5.

I used SwitchResX 4.3.6 to create the scaled modes but the SwitchResX Daemon won't launch.

I have an iBook G4 and a Core Duo Mac mini which can run <10.4.8.
First you need to check AllRez to see if your GPU driver supports down sampling. Remember that my Quad G5 says downsampling is not supported in 10.4.11 so I didn't try patching that.

Below is the code to apply the patches. I executed it in Ventura. I don't know what the earliest Mac OS version it will run with.

First change the directory to one that contains a copy of the IOKit file that you want to modify (which is at /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit). The script creates a file like IOKit1. Use this file to replace the one in the IOKit framework. Probably the simplest way to do that is with the cp command:
sudo cp -p IOKit1 /System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit

Bash:
xxd IOKit > IOKit.txt

for ((i;;i++)); do
	if ! [[ -e "IOKit$i" ]]; then
		cp -p IOKit "IOKit$i"
		break
	fi
done

perl -0777 -pE '
while (s|(?{$X=pos()})\x41\x9E(\x00\x10\x80\x02\x00\x10)|\x48\x00$1|) {
	print STDERR "ppc_7400 #1 found at " . sprintf("0x%X", $X) . "\n"
}
while (s|(?{$X=pos()})\x41\x82(\x00\x10\x64\x00\x00\x20)|\x48\x00$1|) {
	print STDERR "ppc_7400 #2 found at " . sprintf("0x%X", $X) . "\n"
}
while (s|(?{$X=pos()})\x41\x9E(\x00\x14\x80\x02\x00\x10)|\x48\x00$1|) {
	print STDERR "ppc64 #1 found at " . sprintf("0x%X", $X) . "\n"
}
while (s|(?{$X=pos()})\x40\x9D(\x00\x10\x80\x01\x00\x80)|\x48\x00$1|) {
	print STDERR "ppc64 #2 found at " . sprintf("0x%X", $X) . "\n"
}
while (s|(?{$X=pos()})(\x8B\x82\xB0\x00\x00\x00\x85\xC0)\x74(\x04\x83\x60\x10\xFB)|$1\x77$2|g) {
	print STDERR "i386 #1 found at " . sprintf("0x%X", $X) . "\n"
}
while (s|(?{$X=pos()})\x74(\x0C\x81\xCA\x03\x00\x20\x00)|\x77$1|) {
	print STDERR "i386 & x86_64 #2 found at " . sprintf("0x%X", $X) . "\n"
}
while (s|(?{$X=pos()})(\x48\x85\xC0)\x74(\x04\x83\x60\x10\xFB)|$1\x77$2|) {
	print STDERR "x86_64 #1 found at " . sprintf("0x%X", $X) . "\n"
}
' IOKit > "IOKit$i"

xxd "IOKit$i" > "IOKit$i".txt

diff "IOKit".txt "IOKit$i".txt

It should show 8 changes being made, like this:
Code:
ppc_7400 #1 found at 0x15248
ppc_7400 #2 found at 0x14E40
ppc64 #1 found at 0xD0320
ppc64 #2 found at 0xCFEC4
i386 #1 found at 0x12A89D
i386 & x86_64 #2 found at 0x12A3F2
i386 & x86_64 #2 found at 0x1D96DD
x86_64 #1 found at 0x1D9AA2

Once the patched IOKit file is in the IOKit framework and you've created your custom scaled resolutions, you can restart to see if macOS and the GPU driver accepted the modes and test them.

Last edited:
  • Love
I’ll need to find a copy of Civilization III (I’m completely unfamiliar with the game or series) first. I’d be happy to test this out — whether running it from the hard drive or from the ODD (which, on my key lime, is a DVD-RW because of course I’m extra like that).

As for doing the XGA conversion again, I might someday see myself doing the same again for another key lime 466 I could someday come across, but once (and procuring the pieces needed to make it happen) was enough for me.

Maybe in about an hour, once this .sit of the .cdr finishes decompressing and then is burnt to a DVD-R, we’ll have some kind of answer to @retta283’s burning question…

One thing is certain: decompressing a CD-sized .sit on a 466MHz G3 is a reminder of how we’ve come to take certain speed conveniences for granted during these interstitial years.

Remote Desktop Picture 2023.05.07 simbologia at 13.22.27 EDT.png

UPDATE: Welp, it’s finally burning…

Remote Desktop Picture 7 May 2023 at 14.24.33 EDT.png

Second Update: Yes, I know I bought and installed the dang thing, but I’d forgotten this DVD-RW drive is also dual-layer DVD+RW-capable. That technically qualifies this iBook as a DLSD. :D

1683485336467.png

CONCLUDING UPDATE: It played an intro video with music (without stuttering), then opened a main menu, then got to this screen, which is where I’ve left it to make a screen cap. Is this qualification enough? :)

Remote Desktop Picture 7 May 2023 at 14.58.02 EDT.png

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii don’t know wth is going on with this, seems to work fine but not gonna pursue this much more than here…

Remote Desktop Picture 7 May 2023 at 15.12.07 EDT.png

postscript: The real histories written are the system uptimes we made along the way, post-game…

1683488223908.png

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I have a 1920x1200 display connected to a GT 7800 in a Quad G5. I can now use scaled modes 2560x1600 and 3456x2160.
That’s just awesome.

First you need to check AllRez to see if your GPU driver supports down sampling. Remember that my Quad G5 says downsampling is not supported in 10.4.11 so I didn't try patching that.
AllRez says my 2007 MacBook Pro's GeForce 8600M GT supports downsampling in 10.4.11. I'd be quite interested in a patch for 10.4.11 on Intel and willing to test it.

AllRez i386 on Mac OS X 10.4.11 (Darwin 8.11.1 i386) built on Apr 5 2023 at 21:43:02 using SDK 10.6.0 [...] IOFBScalerInfo = { version:0 maxPixels:8192x4096 options(UpSamplePixels,DownSamplePixels,ScaleInterlaced,SupportInset,Rotate,) 30.0.0.0.0.0.0.0 };

It also says so for GeForce 9400M in 10.5.8 (I'll give your patch a try) and 10.6.8, and for GeForce 320M and Radeon HD 4850 in 10.6.8. But not for Intel HD 3000 in 10.6.8.

Last edited:

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Maybe in about an hour, once this .sit of the .cdr finishes decompressing and then is burnt to a DVD-R, we’ll have some kind of answer to @retta283’s burning question…

One thing is certain: decompressing a CD-sized .sit on a 466MHz G3 is a reminder of how we’ve come to take certain speed conveniences for granted during these interstitial years.

View attachment 2198728

UPDATE: Welp, it’s finally burning…

View attachment 2198757

Second Update: Yes, I know I bought and installed the dang thing, but I’d forgotten this DVD-RW drive is also dual-layer DVD+RW-capable. That technically qualifies this iBook as a DLSD. :D

View attachment 2198773

CONCLUDING UPDATE: It played an intro video with music (without stuttering), then opened a main menu, then got to this screen, which is where I’ve left it to make a screen cap. Is this qualification enough? :)

View attachment 2198783

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii don’t know wth is going on with this, seems to work fine but not gonna pursue this much more than here…

View attachment 2198787

postscript: The real histories written are the system uptimes we made along the way, post-game…

View attachment 2198795
Excellent, thanks for putting the time into doing this! I suspect you are indeed the first person to ever play the game on this computer. I recall not being the only person ticked off when the year-old laptop couldn't run the game, 21 years ago already. The game otherwise had fair system requirements. I love bending these things to work in situations that were thought impossible; only this time I did not have the necessary hardware to make it happen.

Excellent, thanks for putting the time into doing this! I suspect you are indeed the first person to ever play the game on this computer.

I got curious, and the challenge was doable. :) Though I hardly “played” the game beyond, apparently, making one move and naming my town “nome” like I was visiting Alaska…

I recall not being the only person ticked off when the year-old laptop couldn't run the game, 21 years ago already. The game otherwise had fair system requirements. I love bending these things to work in situations that were thought impossible; only this time I did not have the necessary hardware to make it happen.

Mind you, simbologia (my key lime iBook) is now a unicorn unto itself as clamshell iBooks go (the glossy XGA display retrofitted with LED backlighting; the DLSD tray burner in there; running ATIcellerator II to overclock the Rage 128; and future plans for bumping the CPU to 700MHz, amongst other things). With time, it will only become more so!

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Mind you, simbologia (my key lime iBook) is now a unicorn unto itself as clamshell iBooks go (the glossy XGA display retrofitted with LED backlighting; the DLSD tray burner in there; running ATIcellerator II to overclock the Rage 128; and future plans for bumping the CPU to 700MHz, amongst other things). With time, it will only become more so!
Wow, even LED? That must be quite an impressive upgrade for these old screens, I know my white iBooks have become rather dingy looking with their original CCFL. If I ever get my hands on a clamshell I would be greatly enticed to at least put a 1024x768 screen in it, I've used that resolution enough that I can be very productive in older Mac OS (and Windows) versions. I would have a hard time using any less.

How will the 700MHz be done? Is it possible to take a later G3 and drop it in or is there something else to it?

Wow, even LED? That must be quite an impressive upgrade for these old screens,

So, the XGA display in there now is, as memory serves, the third XGA display I’ve used to get to this point.

The first had part of the thin, white plastic under-frame inside the LCD/polarizer/diffuser/glass, which also holds the CCFL tube in place, snapped at a corner and caused backlighting problems (which was a result of my first attempt of an LED kit retrofit).

The second one (again, as memory serves) was me being too hasty with the antiglare sheet removal, which left permanent marks on the display (not visible when illuminated and working in a dim room, but otherwise impossible to miss).

The third is the one on which I managed to get everything just right (anti-glare sheet removed nicely, LED retrofit kit put in OK, etc.), but about a year later, I scratched the polarizer in one spot along the top of the display, about a centimetre, which lets backlight through. It was completely avoidable and careless on my part: I was trying to change the angle of the lid whilst holding a small screwdriver, and welp). It’s something one can ignore if they’re staring at other things, but I’m a perfectionist.

At some point, I’ll need to do all of this one more time with another iBook 12 G4 donor (still reasonably easy to find dead units around here), and also figure out how to make the LED board illumination control work correctly (increasing screen brightness control makes the screen get dimmer, and vice-versa). Also, I want to find another kit with a slightly warmer, fuller-spectrum LED array, as I find the kits I’ve gotten up until now to be too cool (or warm, if one is an astronomer and accustomed to describing things in terms of black body radiation). Maybe instead of 6500°K+ LED strips, I can find one covering more of the visible spectrum and closer to, say, 5500–6000°K.

I know my white iBooks have become rather dingy looking with their original CCFL. If I ever get my hands on a clamshell I would be greatly enticed to at least put a 1024x768 screen in it, I've used that resolution enough that I can be very productive in older Mac OS (and Windows) versions. I would have a hard time using any less.

Moving up to an XGA display became a long-term goal for this key lime ever since I got it in 2007, which is also the year a LiveJournal user named shifuimam did the same on her tangerine iBook and laid out the instructions on how to make it happen. It only took me another eleven years to finally muster the courage and the materials to finally make it happen.

How will the 700MHz be done? Is it possible to take a later G3 and drop it in or is there something else to it?

Although the iBook G3s made it up to 900MHz, the last series used the PPC750FX CPU, whose socket pattern was specific to that CPU revision.

For the late 2000 iBook G3 clamshells through to the summer 2001 iMacs, Apple used the PPC750CX/CXe CPU (and these were the only two product lines to see these CPUs; this is also why the G4 retrofit project can’t work on the Rev C/late 2000 iBooks, as the PPC750L CPU in the older clamshells had a different socket pattern, one which was, I believe, compatible with the PPC 7410 socket). So finding a 700MHz Summer 2001 SE iMac board (a CXe) is how one would be able to source the CPU for swapping into the iBook (yah, I am still looking, and this is only getting less easy with time).

And then there are the clock multipliers (whose configuration settings table I have bookmarked on a long-gone Japanese web site saved on archive-dot-org, mercifully), and I‘ve no idea how any overclocking might impact that transplanted chip. As for additional cooling, I’ve some ideas. :)

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Excellent, thanks for putting the time into doing this! I suspect you are indeed the first person to ever play the game on this computer.
Are you running 10.4.11 on the Clamshell? If so, can you download AllRez, pipe its output to a file (AllRez > allrez.txt in Terminal) and check if DownSamplePixels shows up in there? If so, higher-than-native scaled resolutions may be possible. I was wrong about that being generally impossible on PPC Macs. @B S Magnet: can you do this on your XGA Clamshell?

Last edited:

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Are you running 10.4.11 on the Clamshell? If so, can you download AllRez, pipe its output to a file (AllRez > allrez.txt in Terminal) and check if DownsamplePixels shows up in there? If so, higher-than-native scaled resolutions may be possible. I was wrong about that being generally impossible on PPC Macs.
Actually, I don't have a clamshell. Sorry if that wasn't clear from my original posts. Otherwise I'd have attempted to take the honor for myself :p

I could probably try it on a white iBook I have running 10.4.11, if it will yield the same test result.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Actually, I don't have a clamshell. Sorry if that wasn't clear from my original posts.
I must have missed that. Sorry!

I could probably try it on a white iBook I have running 10.4.11, if it will yield the same test result.
Since the ability depends on the GPU and driver, the result would only be applicable to a Clamshell if the iBook had the same GPU. But yeah, I'd be interested in the result nonetheless even if it were a later iBook with a Mobility Radeon. :)

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
AllRez says my 2007 MacBook Pro's GeForce 8600M GT supports downsampling in 10.4.11. I'd be quite interested in a patch for 10.4.11 on Intel and willing to test it.

Code:
AllRez i386 on Mac OS X 10.4.11 (Darwin 8.11.1 i386) built on Apr  5 2023 at 21:43:02 using SDK 10.6.0
[...]
IOFBScalerInfo = { version:0 maxPixels:8192x4096 options(UpSamplePixels,DownSamplePixels,ScaleInterlaced,SupportInset,Rotate,) 30.0.0.0.0.0.0.0 };

It also says so for GeForce 9400M in 10.5.8 (I'll give your patch a try) and 10.6.8, and for GeForce 320M and Radeon HD 4850 in 10.6.8. But not for Intel HD 3000 in 10.6.8.
- made patches for 10.4.11 (just i386 because 10.4.11 ppc doesn't exclude downsampling)
- corrected the 10.5.8 ppc64 patch (but that doesn't matter since all the system processes including WindowServer appear to be 32-bit)
- made patches for 10.6.8 (ppc, i386, x86_64 but probably only the architecture used by WindowServer matters)

Attached is the BBEdit worksheet with my notes and the list of patches.

Attachments

• IOKit down sample patches.worksheet.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Love

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
I must have missed that. Sorry!

Since the ability depends on the GPU and driver, the result would only be applicable to a Clamshell if the iBook had the same GPU. But yeah, I'd be interested in the result nonetheless even if it were a later iBook with a Mobility Radeon. :)
It sure doesn't seem to say it anywhere, I attached the file in case there is something I missed, but it doesn't seem to show up in 10.4.11 at least.

Attachments

• allrez.txt
    30.6 KB · Views: 56

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
It sure doesn't seem to say it anywhere, I attached the file in case there is something I missed, but it doesn't seem to show up in 10.4.11 at least.
Thanks. No sign of downsampling: (What iBook/GPU is it?)

IOFBScalerInfo = { version:0 maxPixels:2048x2048 options(UpSamplePixels,ScaleInterlaced,SupportInset,Rotate,) 30.0.0.0.0.0.0.0 }

Last edited:

retta283

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Thanks. No sign of downsampling: (What iBook/GPU is it?)

IOFBScalerInfo = { version:0 maxPixels:2048x2048 options(UpSamplePixels,ScaleInterlaced,SupportInset,Rotate,) 30.0.0.0.0.0.0.0 }
iBook G4 with the Radeon 9550, last model.

Are you running 10.4.11 on the Clamshell? If so, can you download AllRez, pipe its output to a file (AllRez > allrez.txt in Terminal) and check if DownSamplePixels shows up in there? If so, higher-than-native scaled resolutions may be possible. I was wrong about that being generally impossible on PPC Macs. @B S Magnet: can you do this on your XGA Clamshell?

I get this error:

Code:
su-4.3# uname -a
Darwin simbologia.local 8.11.0 Darwin Kernel Version 8.11.0: Wed Oct 10 18:26:00 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.24.17~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc
su-4.3# ./Allrez
dyld: incompatible cpu-subtype
Trace/BPT trap
su-4.3#

I didn’t build it from source. Rather, I used the already built binary in the 10.4-10.5 directory.

EDIT: IT appears the Xcode project file within for 10.4–10.5 in the source download archive requires a version of Xcode which not only exceeds what I have running on the iBook, but also includes references to frameworks which I don’t believe exist in Tiger (like CoreDisplay.framework and a couple of others).

Would anyone here be able to build this for PowerPC, to be able to run on Tiger? Cheers.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.