Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iPhone X will enable new features in its standalone Clips app, according to the iPhone X section on Apple's website describing all of the new features found in the device. A mention of the new feature has also been added to the Clips webpage.

When using Clips with an iPhone X, there's a new "Selfie Scenes" feature that will use the TrueDepth front-facing camera on the device to immerse users in a selection of 360-degree animated landscapes.

clipsselfiescenes-800x600.jpg
Selfie Scenes on iPhone X make Clips even more fun, using the TrueDepth camera to immerse you in beautifully animated landscapes, movie sets, and abstract art. Each scene is a full 360° experience, so any way you move iPhone X, the scene moves with it.
Apple says the new Selfie Scenes feature will be coming to Clips in November, which is when the iPhone X will be available.

iPhone X's 3D front-facing camera will also enable new functionality in a range of third-party apps, like Snapchat. On stage, Apple's Craig Federighi showed off new Snapchat filters, which look much more realistic on the iPhone X.

Article Link: Apple's Clips App to Offer 360-Degree 'Selfie Scenes' on iPhone X

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
This is actually quite a cool feature but the limited scenes could be a limitation to people using it.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'm not a Snapchat user, but I do have to admit that those filter masks were quite impressive. It will be interesting to see the potential applications for this technology going forward.

Reactions: jef82 and bob122989

macplay

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2012
Ironically, Apple failed to get face-to-face at the moment, during a demonstration by Apple's software boss at the annual presentation of new products. A backup test was required

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Ironically, Apple failed to get face-to-face at the moment, during a demonstration by Apple's software boss at the annual presentation of new products. A backup test was required

I could be wrong but I didn't view it as Face ID not working properly. It prompted him to enter his passcode to enable Face ID. No different than when you reboot an iPhone and it requires you to enter your passcode before you can start using Touch ID again.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.PNG
    IMG_0020.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 8,717

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
If you actually watched it was because he just turned the phone on. Face ID is like Touch ID, in that on startup you need to passcode...

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Narcissism is all about you. No. Sorry. It's me. Me. Me! Look. It's the Golden Gate Bridge. But. No. That's not the star. Move over man made wonder. It's me. Me! Me! And now look. I can do it all in 3D. Don't look at me. I'm shy. Hey. What you doing? Look at me! No. Please I'm too modest. Make the background the subject. It is more significant than my sad life will ever compare to ... no. Wait. Take my picture. It's all about me. Me! In 3D. Aren't you jealous of my new phone with the 3D. Yes? Now. Go. Unless you want to take more pictures of me. Thank you.

macplay

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2012
If you actually watched it was because he just turned the phone on. Face ID is like Touch ID, in that on startup you need to passcode...
Why did he get the back-up phone then?
[doublepost=1505286418][/doublepost]
I could be wrong but I didn't view it as Face ID not working properly. It prompted him to enter his passcode to enable Face ID. No different than when you reboot an iPhone and it requires you to enter your passcode before you can start using Touch ID again.
Why did he get the bach-up phone then?

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL

Only Craig can answer that but I don't believe the phone itself failed to recognize his face. When Touch ID doesn't recognize your finger (i.e.: bad placement, wet finger, etc) it doesn't immediately prompt you to enter a passcode as an alternate form of unlocking. The message you get is "try again". It isn't until the fourth failed attempt that you're directed to enter the passcode to enable Touch ID once again. I would imagine an unsuccessful attempt at unlocking with Face ID would prompt you to try again instead of making you enter a passcode right away.

In fact, from the very moment he grabbed the iPhone you could already see it was directing him to swipe up to unlock, which is indicative that Face ID had not yet been enabled for whatever reason. The "swipe up to unlock message" showed up before he even had the opportunity point the phone to his face. Obviously it didn't go as planned but it doesn't look like it was the Face ID feature itself that failed.

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 127

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
This is actually quite a cool feature but the limited scenes could be a limitation to people using it.

I consider this and the Animoji to be proof-of-concept features - most of us will get tired of them after a bit of fun, but they ultimately open the door for far more amazing and practical applications.

I've been saying for a while that one of the benefits of Face ID is the additional, multi-purpose sensors it requires. There's little you can do with a fingerprint scanner, but that array of sensors at the top of the iPhone X, in conjunction with AR Kit... there's going to be a lot of "wow" going down.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Narcissism is all about you. No. Sorry. It's me. Me. Me! Look. It's the Golden Gate Bridge. But. No. That's not the star. Move over man made wonder. It's me. Me! Me! And now look. I can do it all in 3D. Don't look at me. I'm shy. Hey. What you doing? Look at me! No. Please I'm too modest. Make the background the subject. It is more significant than my sad life will ever compare to ... no. Wait. Take my picture. It's all about me. Me! In 3D. Aren't you jealous of my new phone with the 3D. Yes? Now. Go. Unless you want to take more pictures of me. Thank you.
I’ve noticed that when photographing pretty much anything these days, rather than it being a full quality rear-camera photo, they’re taking pics of themselves and the item. I don’t understand it and I’m 30. What’s the purpose of that? I understand the point in self portrait photos for sure. Matured photo albums are going to look dreadful in years to come with almost all photos including the photographer at arms length in tens of thousands of photos.

Reactions: BruceEBonus

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Clearly you have never performed in any capacity in front of hundreds of people or more. All he saw was it didn't work so he grabbed the already on phone and it worked.

To deny that the boot up is what caused it to not work, and to extend that to the quality of the product, is beyond stupid and shows you are trying to justify why you don't like it. Anybody who has a brain who watched it saw it was the boot up "enter passcode to unlock to enable face/Touch ID."

macplay

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2012
Only Craig can answer that but I don't believe the phone itself failed to recognize his face. When Touch ID doesn't recognize your finger (i.e.: bad placement, wet finger, etc) it doesn't immediately prompt you to enter a passcode as an alternate form of unlocking. The message you get is "try again". It isn't until the fourth failed attempt that you're directed to enter the passcode to enable Touch ID once again. I would imagine an unsuccessful attempt at unlocking with Face ID would prompt you to try again instead of making you enter a passcode right away.

In fact, from the very moment he grabbed the iPhone you could already see it was directing him to swipe up to unlock, which is indicative that Face ID had not yet been enabled for whatever reason. The "swipe up to unlock message" showed up before he even had the opportunity point the phone to his face. Obviously it didn't go as planned but it doesn't look like it was the Face ID feature itself that failed.
https://news.vice.com/story/face-id-faceplanted-and-so-did-the-stock
[doublepost=1505369812][/doublepost]
I’ve noticed that when photographing pretty much anything these days, rather than it being a full quality rear-camera photo, they’re taking pics of themselves and the item. I don’t understand it and I’m 30. What’s the purpose of that? I understand the point in self portrait photos for sure. Matured photo albums are going to look dreadful in years to come with almost all photos including the photographer at arms length in tens of thousands of photos.
https://news.vice.com/story/face-id-faceplanted-and-so-did-the-stock
Clearly you have never performed in any capacity in front of hundreds of people or more. All he saw was it didn't work so he grabbed the already on phone and it worked.

To deny that the boot up is what caused it to not work, and to extend that to the quality of the product, is beyond stupid and shows you are trying to justify why you don't like it. Anybody who has a brain who watched it saw it was the boot up "enter passcode to unlock to enable face/Touch ID."

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England

You got that right. Th comedian Stewart Lee summarised it in his recent live comedy stand up. In the past people would take photographs of the beauty they had seen. Now it's taking photos of themselves IN FRONT of that beauty.
Hey. But tell you what. It is in 12mp quality, mind. And look at those great filters. And look ... Animoji. Ha ha. Funny face. Moving with my own fizzog. Funny. Thousand pound planned obsolescence device to take photos of yourself that as in the future nobody will take any interest in. "And look. Here's another one of me obscuring Edinburgh Castle. And one of me. Obviously. Getting in the way of Ann Hathaway Cottage ... for someone of your age it's refreshing to see so much maturity and foresight of what is nowadays a very insular, narcissistic and selfish social outlook in life.
Well done! :)

Reactions: 0098386

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
You got that right. Th comedian Stewart Lee summarised it in his recent live comedy stand up. In the past people would take photographs of the beauty they had seen. Now it's taking photos of themselves IN FRONT of that beauty.
Hey. But tell you what. It is in 12mp quality, mind. And look at those great filters. And look ... Animoji. Ha ha. Funny face. Moving with my own fizzog. Funny. Thousand pound planned obsolescence device to take photos of yourself that as in the future nobody will take any interest in. "And look. Here's another one of me obscuring Edinburgh Castle. And one of me. Obviously. Getting in the way of Ann Hathaway Cottage ... for someone of your age it's refreshing to see so much maturity and foresight of what is nowadays a very insular, narcissistic and selfish social outlook in life.
Well done! :)
Oh Stewart Lee covered it? Which show was it in, I hope it’s on Netflix! Love that guy, especially Comedy Vehicle.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Oh Stewart Lee covered it? Which show was it in, I hope it’s on Netflix! Love that guy, especially Comedy Vehicle.

It was on his current live tour this year - Content Provider. I dunno if it's out or coming out on DVD. Very good and I wasn't a great fan beforehand. Better than his Comedy Vehicle TV stuff.

Oh. And here's summat. Look for the new comedy series "BACK" with Mitchell and Webb. Starring your very own avatar no less. Really funny. Surreal stuff with great characters!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.