Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

undergroundcub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
UK
I'll just leave this here for you to all digest.
Video to follow outlining method. Never thought the day would come...

6r2hki.jpg

undergroundcub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
UK
All this effort for TB in Mojave and using a non-Metal GT120 for GPU?

Lets not rip it to pieces yet, its a test rig, the GT120 will give native boot screens without messing about on newer cards, this is a test rig then I'l move to a newer metal supported card

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I have no need at all for TB, but I'm glad to see it working if only to say Na na na Na-na, to all the nay sayers.

Reactions: undergroundcub

joebclash

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
I'll just leave this here for you to all digest.
Video to follow outlining method. Never thought the day would come...

6r2hki.jpg

This is great news. I love my mac pro even though I don't use it much anymore. I would love more upgrades to keep it relevant. My mac pro feels like a classic American muscle car. It's outdated but still a classic...

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
This is great news. I love my mac pro even though I don't use it much anymore. I would love more upgrades to keep it relevant. My mac pro feels like a classic American muscle car. It's outdated but still a classic...
Had one of these in high school:

8-great-ford-mustang-boss-302-colors[1].jpg

5 litre 290 HP engine (just under 1 HP per cubic inch). Gas mileage sucked, and the rear tires went bald very quickly.

Now driving a new Escape with a 2 litre 240 HP turbocharged engine (just under 2 HP per cubic inch). Highway mileage is 30+ miles per gallon (7.5 Liters per 100 km).

Seems to be roughly as fast as the Boss 302, but spends much less time in the gas stations.

Yes, the cheese grater is like a classic American muscle car. ;)

Reactions: Synchro3

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE

5 litre 290 HP engine (just under 1 HP per cubic inch). Gas mileage sucked, and the rear tires went bald very quickly.

Now driving a new Escape with a 2 litre 240 HP turbocharged engine (just under 2 HP per cubic inch). Highway mileage is 30+ miles per gallon (7.5 Liters per 100 km).

Seems to be roughly as fast as the Boss 302, but spends much less time in the gas stations.

Except the muscle cars have skyrocketed in value while the cMP has tanked. Maybe one day...

Reactions: AidenShaw

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Except the muscle cars have skyrocketed in value while the cMP has tanked. Maybe one day...

"Tanked" is a bit of a stretch. A good condition 2012 Mac Pro can start around $1200 these days. Add in SSDs and a modern GPU and you're well past new iMac or mini pricing... Not bad for a 7.5-year-old-computer!

Let's hope the 2019 MP does it's legacy justice!

joebclash

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016

I'm jealous, you must have been one of the cool kids in school. Me and my friends was bumming around in a broken down VW Bug...

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
To take advantage of the full bandwidth of TB3 you would need the host card in the x16 slot but also need an m2 SSD in the other x16 slot. Otherwise you are limited to the shared x4 PCIE 2.0 lanes of slot 3 and 4.

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
TB3 is 4x PCIe 3.0. Potentially, undergroundcub's method could convert 16x PCIe 2.0 to 2 TB3 ports. You could attach an NVMe SSD to one of the TB3 ports, getting the full 3000MB/s+ it's capable of, as well as connect the second port to a raid array, capture card etc.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
TB3 is 4x PCIe 3.0. Potentially, undergroundcub's method could convert 16x PCIe 2.0 to 2 TB3 ports. You could attach an NVMe SSD to one of the TB3 ports, getting the full 3000MB/s+ it's capable of, as well as connect the second port to a raid array, capture card etc.

At best it’s about 2800MB/s after CPU overhead on that 16x slot, only when copying very large files from m2 drive to m2 drive.

Most apps won’t read data at that speed anyway. For example, RED 6K footage is recorded at around 250 MB/s (No typo) on SATA2 mags and will be loaded into RAM at the same speed.

Regardless of any of the above, the ageing CPU will struggle to handle modern video data and macOS GPU drivers for AMD and Nvidia cards don’t have HEVC decode/encode (depending on OS and driver build).

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
At best it’s about 2800MB/s after CPU overhead on that 16x slot, only when copying very large files from m2 drive to m2 drive.

PCIe 2.0 x16 is supposed to be 8GB/s. Obviously, overheads reduce that a bit. The 3000MB/s I mentioned was for the SSD - the TB3 port should give about 4GB/s, minus overheads.

Sure, this is a bit academic, and only applies to specific types of transfers etc. In practice, the MP’s 4x slots would still be useful for many things, though - essentially acting as TB2 ports.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
PCIe 2.0 x16 is supposed to be 8GB/s. Obviously, overheads reduce that a bit. The 3000MB/s I mentioned was for the SSD - the TB3 port should give about 4GB/s, minus overheads.

Sure, this is a bit academic, and only applies to specific types of transfers etc. In practice, the MP’s 4x slots would still be useful for many things, though - essentially acting as TB2 ports.

Ignore theoretical maximum of the 2.0 x16 interface. The host Thunderbolt card negotiates a x4 connection regardless of 2.0 or 3.0, if you can even get it to work in the first place.

skizzo

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2018
This topic has been discussed in great length in this thread: testing TB3 AIC with MP 5,1.

Unless OP has come up with a revolutionary new method...this is just more of the same.

perhaps someone will be nice enough to share their accomplishments in an organized fashion. that thread is hard to follow to say the least on what functions are working and what mods, etc, were required or optional. anyone familiar with this forum is familiar with the many WIKI posts and detailed guides. No one has done that for Thunderbolt yet so myself and I am sure many others are looking forward to something that is more organized and has a logical sequence rather than 7 pages of scattered info

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
perhaps someone will be nice enough to share their accomplishments in an organized fashion. that thread is hard to follow to say the least on what functions are working and what mods, etc, were required or optional. anyone familiar with this forum is familiar with the many WIKI posts and detailed guides. No one has done that for Thunderbolt yet so myself and I am sure many others are looking forward to something that is more organized and has a logical sequence rather than 7 pages of scattered info

For anyone daring enough to try:

Install card:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC-TITAN-RIDGE-rev-10#kf

Boot to Windows, install supplied app/driver (if not already installed). Reboot to MacOS (warm, not hard shutoff). In the app, you can allow the TB device to connect (one time).

MacOS Mojave+ then should work with thunderbolt.

My point, there's really not much to it. In theory, any device should work as long as it can work with MacOS. I've had no issues with my OWC Thunderbay 4 and LG Ultrafine 5k with cMP. As we may see here, audio interfaces will work too.

Last edited:

skizzo

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2018
Soooo there is no required workaround due to the lack of the Thunderbolt header on the cMP logic board? You simply just don't use that cable at all? I saw the posts about making a jumper connection, That specifically is one of the things I haven't wrapped my head around yet.

I am not even as concerned about it working in macOS. I could run my audio software and hardware on Windows also. The only thing I would be interested in using thunderbolt for is for connecting an audio interface. I don't have a need for 4k+ screens and the other features this card has. I just didn't understand how this card works with the lack of a thunderbolt header connection

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
Ignore theoretical maximum of the 2.0 x16 interface. The host Thunderbolt card negotiates a x4 connection regardless of 2.0 or 3.0, if you can even get it to work in the first place.

If his solution involved a PLX chip, 8x PCIe 2.0 could be turned into 4x PCIe 3.0 (as done by various NVMe cards). In any case, we remain to see if his method is genuine / anything new.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
Soooo there is no required workaround due to the lack of the Thunderbolt header on the cMP logic board? You simply just don't use that cable at all? I saw the posts about making a jumper connection, That specifically is one of the things I haven't wrapped my head around yet.

I am not even as concerned about it working in macOS. I could run my audio software and hardware on Windows also. The only thing I would be interested in using thunderbolt for is for connecting an audio interface. I don't have a need for 4k+ screens and the other features this card has. I just didn't understand how this card works with the lack of a thunderbolt header connection

Yep, no need for the jumper cable or power my friend. I personally saw no difference when I tried it, seemed to do nothing. There was hope that keeping it jumped would force MacOS to see it on cold boot. But to clarify, it's currently working in my cMP with no other cable connections and using Windows to enable. I understand some people have had luck with the Alpine Ridge controller as well, however, I'll only speak to the Titan controller linked above as I have personal experience with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.