Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bitcoin exchange Coinbase watched its iOS app surge to the top of the free apps chart in Apple's App Store yesterday, amid a speculative frenzy surrounding the blockchain cryptocurrency.

Bitcoin prices on Coinbase's GDAX exchange flew past $16,000 to almost $20,000 in around 90 minutes on Thursday, reported Bloomberg, extending its record-breaking run and causing the software to crash and the service's website to go down intermittently in the process. The digital currency fluctuated during a turbulent Asian session, before falling back to about $16,000.

DQdtvFsW0AAFrFa.jpg-large-800x490.jpeg
BREAKING: Coinbase unavailable.The company now has more customers than Charles Schwab and has opened as many as 300,000 accounts in a day.Today has unprecedented volume and demand.There are litterally so many people trying to buy Bitcoin that exchanges are crashing. pic.twitter.com/ZzMKkplyga - Bruce Fenton (@brucefenton) December 7, 2017

The rise and rise of bitcoin has brought it into the mainstream in the last few weeks, but many observers are warning that the cryptocurrency could be a bubble. Investors have also been reminded of the dangers of hackers, after bitcoin mining marketplace NiceHash lost $64 million in BTC following a "sophisticated and professional attack".

Apple has had its own problems with cryptocurrencies in the past. In August 2016, the tech giant had to remove several fake bitcoin wallets from the App Store after users of the digital currency were scammed out of thousands of dollars.

For anyone interested in observing the hourly fluctuations of bitcoin while maintaining a safe distance, free app CoinHub offers real-time quotes and up-to-date cryptocurrency news all within an impressive-looking dark-themed dashboard. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Coinbase Reaches Top of the Free App Charts on the US App Store Amid Bitcoin Surge

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Just last month I tried to download two completely different MacOS Bitcoin applications from macupdate.com and after the DMG files downloaded my antivirus gave me an alert both times that the files were infected and it deleted the downloads.
If the MacOS community files are infected you can imagine how much more the Windows community.
It's only a matter of time that some clever hacker infects an Apple App Store and iOS App Store with some type of root crack.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Just last month I tried to download two completely different MacOS Bitcoin applications from macupdate.com and after the DMG files downloaded my antivirus gave me an alert both times that the files were infected and it deleted the downloads.
If the MacOS community files are infected you can imagine how much more the Windows community.
It's only a matter of time that some clever hacker infects an Apple App Store and iOS App Store with some type of root crack.

Still going to be really difficult on iOS. Almost akin to a userland instant jailbreak. Then again, there would be monetary incentive that the current jailbreak teams might not have...

The ugliness of unregulated free market.
But the beauty of potentially world-changing disruptive technology. It's going to have a rough start but let's see where we are in five years.

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010

Did you report the infections? That’s pretty bad they are on MU.

Also, MacUpdate was bundling some stupid installer around apps for a while (pure cancer). Not sure if they still are.

Reactions: JosephAW

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
Until cryptocurrency stabilizes with actual reputable banking entities and parity with worldwide currencies, it’s still a gamble. Cryptocurrency is good for its base technology but all of the other crap that is on top of it leads to its ultimate downfall. I think Coinbase is on the right track but after $230 million in investment and they still have problems with the calcs for currency parity, it’s not really reassuring. Bitcoin is hot right now but litecoin I think will have a surge soon. I’m still freaked out by having the hashes accessible the way they are.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Did you report the infections? That’s pretty bad they are on MU.

Also, MacUpdate was bundling some stupid installer around apps for a while (pure cancer). Not sure if they still are.

It's most likely the MacUpdate installer. I always go to the developer site to download because that installer is cancer as you said.

MacUpdate is garbage too. They scrape their data from other sites. Sadly, they're the only one left other than Download.com Years ago VersionTracker was king and MacUpdate just scraped all their app releases from them (we tested to confirm this numerous times by submitting only to VT and it would appear right after on MU without submitting). CNET purchased VT long ago and after a while integrated it into download.com and shuttered it.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
I'm all for tinkering and trying new things.. but this is one I wouldn't touch. You can lose quite quickly.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Right now Bitcoin is in the stage where the visionaries will take action (and profit :)) and the naysayers will shrug it off and worry about bugs (therefore getting the short end of the stick by choice).

Like a startup, there is risk. The ones who want to make it big know how to mitigate the risk.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
I tried creating an account for several months. I wanted a way to fund poker site account. Still havent ever gotten it running. Took over a month to get the proper country set (because of vpn ot thought i was in wrong country). And ever since i cant ever get it to verify ID. In all the time ive been trying... price of Bitcoin has like tripled almost.

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
It's most likely the MacUpdate installer. I always go to the developer site to download because that installer is cancer as you said.

MacUpdate is garbage too. They scrape their data from other sites. Sadly, they're the only one left other than Download.com Years ago VersionTracker was king and MacUpdate just scraped all their app releases from them (we tested to confirm this numerous times by submitting only to VT and it would appear right after on MU without submitting). CNET purchased VT long ago and after a while integrated it into download.com and shuttered it.

VT was a great site. Download.com was always crap. After the buyout they changed nothing and remained crap.

MacUpdate (used to? still does?) read app Sparkle feeds. Though I also see them catch updates on some apps like VLC before those apps update their Sparkle feeds.

What other sites like MU still exist? Seems like it's a search engine or the App Store for app discovery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.