Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
iPad may bring back Advertisers to Magazines

I was recently given a subscription to Time Magazine and at first I was reluctant to accept it, because I find magazines to be wasteful. However after looking at thee layout of Time I feel that magazines will thrive on the iPad.

If a magazine is popular (lots of eyeballs) then they will get advertisers. Now imagine an Ad for a new television show. Instead of just being configured like a regular print add, the iPad reader will be able to click on the ad and see a commercial or maybe an entire episode. And as technology advances, we will be able to add it to our DVRs for recording. All from the ad in the magazine.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg of what can be done.

Imagine an email link after each article allowing a reader to write a letter to the editor concerning what they just read.

At the end of a music review there may be a link that will allow you to buy the album on iTunes.

This could be pretty cool.

JonboyDC

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2004
What I want from a magazine on the iPad is very different than what I would want on my iPhone. On the phone, it really has to be specially formatted for the screen, which will probably result in less advertising (both in quantity of ads and in the size of the ads). On the iPad, I want a full-page reproduction of the magazine -- I want to hold it in my hands and flip through the pages, with the ability to zoom in on a page or image. Which means I should be getting all the ads they already sell for that magazine. (And each ad could have a spot in it that, if touched for a few seconds, would open Safari and bring me to the advertiser's site, rather than lots of built-in animated ads right there on the page.)

If they did that, they shouldn't have to worry about finding special advertisers, and they should be able to charge the same for an iPad subscription as they do for a print subscription. (It's true that there would be development costs at first, but those should be made up for in the long run by the savings on printing and postage).

If they give me a New Yorker that looks like the New Yorker, at the same cost as a print subscription, I'm in. If it's some specialized mobile version of the magazine, I'm out.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
I think publishers will ultimately find a way to work around content being available for free or with only an advertising-based revenue model. Web advertising isn't going to sustain the types of in-depth full-length feature stories you find in some current magazines. It would be a shame to lose most of that type of journalism.

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
I think publishers will ultimately find a way to work around content being available for free or with only an advertising-based revenue model. Web advertising isn't going to sustain the types of in-depth full-length feature stories you find in some current magazines. It would be a shame to lose most of that type of journalism.

It's really a no brainer. The existing advertiser model should work, not the web ad model. These Ads will be very targeted to a particular type of person:

1. someone with the money to buy an iPad
2. someone interested in the content in the magazine

This could lead to a nice shift in the web ad paradigm. With the iPad, people need to think out of the Website box (much as many of the iPhone developers have).

What will be interesting if this will have a trickle down effect on the magazine websites, this could ultimately cost Google some of their Ad revenue if a great enough shift happens.

macshill3

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2010
I guess if you're willing to subscribe to all these digital version of magazines, it's your prerogative, but if you think just because you buy an iPad means you'll get them for free, I have some swamp land in Florida I could sell you.

So we know the NYT digital version will be a whopping $30/month (the fact that the NYT takes articles from AP and AP will also be launching a pay app of their own just shows you'll be paying for duplication) and who knows how much his CN subs will be. I guess it's matter of chosing what to subscribe to, just like the good old days with print media.

deckwalker

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2005
Lao PDR
I'd be very interested in buying the Wired subscription. Yes, I can get it for free on the web, but I'd like to have a magazine like experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.