Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chiefs1968

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2016
Ok so the Apple watch can connect to WiFi but.....I left my phone at home today and decided to visit several places that offer free WiFi such as Target, Culvers, etc etc...but when the watch wants to connect it just can't because you have to confirm to the terms etc etc before you can connect and the Apple watch just cannot connect...so basically you can connect to networks that allow you to put in a password and your good to go.
WiFi calling is awesome but it's limited only to where you can connect...

Reactions: Craiguyver

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Ok so the Apple watch can connect to WiFi but.....I left my phone at home today and decided to visit several places that offer free WiFi such as Target, Culvers, etc etc...but when the watch wants to connect it just can't because you have to confirm to the terms etc etc before you can connect and the Apple watch just cannot connect...so basically you can connect to networks that allow you to put in a password and your good to go.

Yeah, it's frustrating that the watch can only connect to networks with a regular SSID and PW that the iPhone already has permission to join (and that doesn't ask you to agree to anything on a pop-up form).

However, you mentioned "WiFi calling" - the non-LTE Apple Watch can only make calls on the same WiFi network as the iPhone, because it doesn't use FaceTime to handle the WiFi calling like an iPad, second iPhone, or Macintosh. However, the AW can do text messaging on a different network, as long as the iPhone is turned on and connected to the internet via cellular or WiFi wherever you may have left it.

My wife accidentally left her iPhone and iPad at home a couple of weeks ago and went to work 15 miles away, and she was able to send and receive text messages on her S0 Apple Watch without her iPhone, but calls only went to her iPhone, iPad and iMac at home.

ttforever

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2015
That depends on your carrier though - I'm on EE in the UK with a series 4 non LTE watch and can take calls over wifi on other devices without having my phone turned on. I think apple call it "Wi-Fi Calling on supported iCloud-connected devices" have a look at https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204040

Ian

Yeah, it's frustrating that the watch can only connect to networks with a regular SSID and PW that the iPhone already has permission to join (and that doesn't ask you to agree to anything on a pop-up form).

However, you mentioned "WiFi calling" - the non-LTE Apple Watch can only make calls on the same WiFi network as the iPhone, because it doesn't use FaceTime to handle the WiFi calling like an iPad, second iPhone, or Macintosh. However, the AW can do text messaging on a different network, as long as the iPhone is turned on and connected to the internet via cellular or WiFi wherever you may have left it.

My wife accidentally left her iPhone and iPad at home a couple of weeks ago and went to work 15 miles away, and she was able to send and receive text messages on her S0 Apple Watch without her iPhone, but calls only went to her iPhone, iPad and iMac at home.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
I think it’s more for when you are home etc. you can leave your phone in one room and walk around with thenwatch still being fully functional.
It’s not meant to allow you to replace your phone essentially.

ttforever

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2015
Nah def not series 4 specific as my series 2 does the same on the same carrier, didn’t on my last carrier though!

Magnificent

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2018
That depends on your carrier though - I'm on EE in the UK with a series 4 non LTE watch and can take calls over wifi on other devices without having my phone turned on. I think apple call it "Wi-Fi Calling on supported iCloud-connected devices" have a look at https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204040

Ian
You are absolutely right. It is related with the carrier. The key is the "Wi-Fi Calling on supported iCloud-connected devices"

Craiguyver

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2013
Ohio, USA

The better question is what is the point of having a captive portal on these free wifi routers?? It's obviously useless and pointless, since no one reads the terms, and beyond irritating. The terms can be posted on a website someplace. I say outlaw the damn things... and you'd be able to make your watch wifi calls.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
WiFi is the fastest data connection to the watch. If you are downloading podcasts with Outcast or other apps like that you’ll see a noticeable difference with WiFi versus LTE (LET ALONE the unusable Bluetooth).

WiFi makes the watch sing and I often turn Bluetooth off on my phone to force this connection.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
WiFi is the fastest data connection to the watch. If you are downloading podcasts with Outcast or other apps like that you’ll see a noticeable difference with WiFi versus LTE (LET ALONE the unusable Bluetooth).

WiFi makes the watch sing and I often turn Bluetooth off on my phone to force this connection.

I don't think the OP is asking why use wifi, it is more of an issue where even though we have the ability to select wifi and enter passwords on the watch now, we still can not accept terms, or accept profiles that may be needed for public/enterprise wifi's. For example, it took me a while to figure out that at I needed to download a profile on my phone in order for my watch to be able to connect to my work wifi. This make is so, you NEED your phone, and/or working knowledge of networking to get your watch on wifi.

I'm glad I figured it out, I forgot my phone at home yesterday, even though I have cellular on my watch, it was nice to be able to have all make calls (using my airpods), and get all my messages.

At some point, be it current versions, or future versions, we will be able to accept terms/profiles directly on the watch. I'm sure Apple will hold onto that and make it only available on the latest versions of the watch once it is implemented.

ttforever

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2015
Thats not strictly true, as my watch now joins my enterprise wifi and had the option to accept a certificate. Agree though accept terms and conditions would be brilliant.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Thats not strictly true, as my watch now joins my enterprise wifi and had the option to accept a certificate. Agree though accept terms and conditions would be brilliant.

You were able to accept a certificate directly from the watch, this is the first I've heard of this (I haven't been able to on my GSS S4). The initial time I joined enterprise networks (that use profiles/certificates), I have to do so by adding the profile to my watch app on the phone. After that, it will re-join as needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.