Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian-frs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
ATL
Hey, I am looking to change my sms and e-mail tones on my phone but before I can do that I would need to convert the files to .caf. So could somone share with me how to do that?

*Edit: Never mind someone on modmyiphone.com gave me a hand with it. If anyone else has the same question download switch it's a free program. With it you will convert the file to .aif then change the file name to .caf. Hope that helps someone.*

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I use Quicktime Pro to got to .aif then just type .caf and save to Desktop.

salilsundresh

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
You can also convert files to .aiff using iTunes.
Advanced>Convert Selection to Aiff (it might show some other format, just change this in iTune's prefs)

bencharity

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
Convert the opposite direction?

Hey guys, I have a slightly different question.

Is there a way to convert .caf back to mp3 or some other form that can be read by iTunes?

I have a bunch of Jingles/Loops that are in Logic 8's library and I'd like 50 or so of these on my iPod for quick reference and I don't want to take the time to load each one and export them as mp3's.

I have Quicktime Pro, and Switch.

Thanks

nakummitul

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2010
Preferred Audio Formats in iPhone OS

For uncompressed (highest quality) audio, use 16-bit, little endian, linear PCM audio data packaged in a CAF file. You can convert an audio file to this format in Mac OS X using the afconvert command-line tool, as shown here:

Code:
/usr/bin/afconvert -f caff -d LEI16 {INPUT} {OUTPUT}

The afconvert tool lets you convert to a wide range of audio data formats and file types. See the afconvert man page, and enter afconvert -h at a shell prompt, for more information.

For compressed audio when playing one sound at a time, and when you don’t need to play audio simultaneously with the iPod application, use the AAC format packaged in a CAF or m4a file.

For less memory usage when you need to play multiple sounds simultaneously, use IMA4 (IMA/ADPCM) compression. This reduces file size but entails minimal CPU impact during decompression. As with linear PCM data, package IMA4 data in a CAF file.

Reactions: ShinySteelRobot

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg

irthy

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2009
Hey guys, I have a slightly different question.

Is there a way to convert .caf back to mp3 or some other form that can be read by iTunes?

I have a bunch of Jingles/Loops that are in Logic 8's library and I'd like 50 or so of these on my iPod for quick reference and I don't want to take the time to load each one and export them as mp3's.

I have Quicktime Pro, and Switch.

Thanks

I think the only way you can do it is open the .caf in Quicktime pro and export from QT Pro as an aiff and then put that into itunes and convert to mp3. But you'll have to do one at a time. Maybe Itunes can read .caf as a music file similar to mp3. And you can just make a play list with them all, then select all and convert from .caf to mp3. which would be faster.

waelalabrouni

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2010
Thanx alot nakummitul

For uncompressed (highest quality) audio, use 16-bit, little endian, linear PCM audio data packaged in a CAF file. You can convert an audio file to this format in Mac OS X using the afconvert command-line tool, as shown here:

Code:

The afconvert tool lets you convert to a wide range of audio data formats and file types. See the afconvert man page, and enter afconvert -h at a shell prompt, for more information.

For compressed audio when playing one sound at a time, and when you don’t need to play audio simultaneously with the iPod application, use the AAC format packaged in a CAF or m4a file.

For less memory usage when you need to play multiple sounds simultaneously, use IMA4 (IMA/ADPCM) compression. This reduces file size but entails minimal CPU impact during decompression. As with linear PCM data, package IMA4 data in a CAF file.

YOU ARE AWESOME

HappyCheese

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2010

Code:

Wow, thanks. That work perfectly!

wrxster

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2011
THANKS nakummitul

Code:

You are AWESOME !!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.