Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vq.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
So I got a refurbished macbook on christmas for £749.99 from the online store, I have the 1 year warranty as usual... I put the MBA into its case then got it out and it had a crack going up the screen its not so much of a crack its like a scratch in the screen and the pixels have been scratched?

I'm going in to an apple store tomorrow, what do you think they'll do/say?

:apple:

Nov 28, 2010
located
They will let you repair for an exchange of your money, unless you get a very good-moody rep and you get lucky and get it for free, which is unlikely, as Apple Care does not cover accidental damage.

vq.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
They will let you repair for an exchange of your money, unless you get a very good-moody rep and you get lucky and get it for free, which is unlikely, as Apple Care does not cover accidental damage.

How much roughly? (I'm in the UK)

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
So I got a refurbished macbook on christmas for £749.99 from the online store, I have the 1 year warranty as usual... I put the MBA into its case then got it out and it had a crack going up the screen its not so much of a crack its like a scratch in the screen and the pixels have been scratched?

I'm going in to an apple store tomorrow, what do you think they'll do/say?

Well good luck ... be really nice and think about bringing in donuts.

When you say you put in into its case ... what do you mean exactly? Some kind of tight case that conceivably put too much pressure on the screen or was that perhaps you getting it out of the case?

Typically screen cracks are caused accidentally but categorized as abuse and therefore not often covered although any one person might get lucky and the apple reps have a fair amount of latitude ( or store management perhaps ) in handling individual cases.

vq.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Haha, first bit made me laugh!

The case is for my old 15" Compaq Presario, but I just put it in there strap it down then put it in my drawer (NOTHING else in there)

Well good luck ... be really nice and think about bringing in donuts.

When you say you put in into its case ... what do you mean exactly? Some kind of tight case that conceivably put too much pressure on the screen or was that perhaps you getting it out of the case?

Typically screen cracks are caused accidentally but categorized as abuse and therefore not often covered although any one person might get lucky and the apple reps have a fair amount of latitude ( or store management perhaps ) in handling individual cases.

vq.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
UPDATE:
apple said it was accidental so it'd cost £300 but cos the manager said I was young and need the money for Friday and the weekends (what a legend) he sent it in 48hour repair for free

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
UPDATE:
apple said it was accidental so it'd cost £300 but cos the manager said I was young and need the money for Friday and the weekends (what a legend) he sent it in 48hour repair for free

You must be living right!

bigeasy_uk

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2005
Leamington Spa, England
UPDATE:

This is why I buy Apple and recommend them to friends and family, do you think Dell, Toshiba or even Lenovo would do this, not a chance!

n1tut

macrumors regular
I live in the UK and they did the same for me when I closed the lid with the earphone on the keyboard.

Was told it would cost £300 but I got chatting to him, mentioned that I was a disabled War Pensioner and threw in a couple of war stories, he had a word with the Manager, and they repaired it for free.

tut

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
To me this is worse than stealing. Other people have to pay for repairs so by you getting a free repair you are driving up the price for other people.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
To me this is worse than stealing. Other people have to pay for repairs so by you getting a free repair you are driving up the price for other people.

Probably this is why they didn't offer you free repair.

n1tut

macrumors regular

Grow up you dipstick, they offered to repair it for free, which is great customer service, so do you expect me to turn it down?

This is a great Forum, and I have learnt a lot on here as an MBA owner after 35 years on PC's, and had a lot of help, so fortunately comments like yours can be ignored.

tut

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011

Do you really think that the manager would do that if it wasn't sustainable/his job was on the line?

Clearly, Apple indicate to their employees that they are willing to do things like this in special circumstances. Im imagining that since OP is young, the manager thought that by giving him a pleasant experience with his Apple computer, he will come back and buy another (thus, money for Apple) next time he needs a new computer, and so on. OP is happy because he gets his screen repaired, and Apple is happy because chances are, OP will be an Apple user for a long time.

Stop being so idiotic/jealous.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

They do this fairly regularly (although that may end as they roll out the AppleCare+ product). They did that for me once. Think about it. It's relatively cheap advertising. For the price of a repair (about $500 - the margin on a single MacBook Air sold) they likely win a long term customer, plus that customer tells other people about it, or posts it on a blog or forum like this, and it improves the company's image.

diggy33

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Northern Virginia
I had a users hard drive go bad on her 17" unibody (2009) MBP, called up Apple and sent it in to them. There were a few dings in the upper casing, the screen didnt sit straight (had a slight angle to it when the lid was closed) so I thought for sure they were going to say the HDD went bad due to neglect. To my surprise, they sent the machine back with new HDD, new upper casing and keyboard, and straightened out the screen. Every now and again you get lucky with one of the techs

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011

Apple Customer service provided me with a FREE Apple care policy, all on their own without a request from me after a totally minor incident that I felt they resolved quite nicely. I was stunned & have told the story in many places, including sharing it with my 9K Twitter friends.

That small investment on apple's part won them my repeat business & quite a bit of positive word of mouth.

Last edited:

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Congrats on getting the repair. You were honest about it, and Apple chose to take care of it - thats awesome. Don't sweat the haters.

soapsudz

macrumors member
May 14, 2011
Wait, so you either have to be an attractive young person or a disabled war pensioner to get a free screen repair? If I'm neither of the above, then Apple doesn't like me :)

Apple's warranty specifically does *not* cover broken screens because they classify it as accidental damage. Maybe those getting free repairs are lucky by going to Apple Stores, but if you're in a country without an official Apple Store, then good luck trying to get a reseller to do that repair for free.

Apple charge exorbitant prices for screen repairs for the MBA because they replace the entire top lid rather than just swapping out the screen. The blasted thing costs almost as much as a new MBA! I've heard of people DIY'ing the LCD replacement but it's a fiddly job, so for most people, a broken screen would probably mean buying a new computer. This broken MBA will probably be my last Apple computer, even my last Apple product.

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
UPDATE:

You lucky frak!

Aww c'mon.. Don't be a hater..

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009

lol. what a ludicrous thing to say. "worse than stealing", what like murder or rape?

n1tut

macrumors regular
Thanks guys, I am sure that they would have done it anyway even if I had not been a 71 year old disabled War Pensioner. I have found that good results usually occur if you are pleasant in cases like this, and if you engage on a personal level and have a chat it makes all the difference. And I agree that it probably does make a difference being able to pop into your local Apple Care Centre as opposed to having to do it by phone, e-mail, etc.

Then again I have had many years to find this out.<BG>

tut

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.