Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeTheCat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Hi y'all - I have a mid 2014 15 inch MacBook pro. I love the model, I know later models had some issues with keyboards, going to thunderbolt ports, etc. It has been a workhorse and I have used it since the day I bought it with zero issue. I dropped it on the floor and cracked the screen about 6 months ago, and I still use it every day, but the black line across the screen is super annoying and I think I'm finally ready to do something about it.

Apple told me the repair would be about $600, and that I should probably just get a new laptop. I looked online, my model @ spec on eBay goes for about $800 right now, or about $200 with a broken screen. Additionally, while it was in for service, I'd probably have the battery replaced, as it's starting to hold a charge a bit less (I'm at almost 800 cycles!). Do y'all think it's worth it to take it in for repair, or to get a new machine? The computer still works perfectly like 90% of the time, as long as the battery is charged enough. That said, I'd go for a new machine if they seemed worth it. I just haven't really kept up to date on the new laptops because I haven't really needed to.

Thanks!

tl;dr: laptop screen is broken and it'll cost a lot to fix it should i just buy a new laptop

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
Apple told me the repair would be about $600, and that I should probably just get a new laptop. I looked online, my model @ spec on eBay goes for about $800 right now, or about $200 with a broken screen.

The $800 asking price you're seeing on eBay is just that, an ASKING price. I don't think many people are stupid enough to pay $800 for a 2014. It's approaching 7 years old with very old tech. Plus you mentioned the battery needs replacing so even if your screen was fine then the most you could possibly get a real buyer to pay would be $350-$400 max.
So yes, IMO you should buy a new Mac. The 2019 16" and the other 2020 Macbooks don't have the butterfly keyboard and if you can wait until late fall Apple's new ARM-based Macs should be worth looking into as well, although there has been no mention on which models will be available for market at launch.

Natzoo

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
I wouldn't repair it either, try to get quotes from other third party services. Anything over $400 is not a wise spend, maybe you can just hook up a monitor and use that as a display? Apple is just trying to get money out of you and they know they can (they control parts and such). Try Louis Rossman, I was going to send him my 2015 15" for a screen repair but never did because of apple propaganda. But see what he says, free quote cant hurt. I wouldnt go with a mac book air, the air is not a great product for its price.

Also, wait for the 2020 version of the 16" if you decide to switch out the laptop, or buy a used 2019 16" (not from apple, but a reputable seller). But definitely a 16" for the keyboard or new 13" if you want a smaller form factor. Maybe thanksgiving will reduce prices at places too.

MikeTheCat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
I did check sold eBay and they were selling for 6-800 dollars at my spec'd model. I agree, it's a lot to pay for an older computer, though. Maybe I'll try and hold out for the late fall models. It's not horrible, just very annoying to look at constantly. I can get an Air for $800, but anything with 16 gb of Ram (what I have now) is at least $1,500.

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
I would repair it through a competent third party repair shop if they (or you) can source a used screen for a reasonable price. The computer will probably remain relevant for quite some into the future if you are not performing graphics-intensive work...bear in mind a lot of new computers being sold today still have much slower processors than the 2014 15-inch! If you are performing work that benefits from a more capable system, it might be time to think about upgrading to a 16-inch. There are a lot of refurb models available at the moment.

If you have not already, you probably want to check the battery to ensure it is not swelling. If it is swelling, replacement would become more of a necessity than an option.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I have had a MINT 2015 15” on Craigslist for a few months for $850 and very little interest. New keyboard and battery from Apple.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
How much are you willing to pay for each additional year of use? Display + battery may cost you more than $750. That could give you another three years or more if you don't demand much from the Mac. However, based on current patterns Big Sur will likely be the last version of macOS it'll run.

I'd probably tough it out with the display issue for a month or so longer. By then I'd expect Apple will have announced the first round of Apple Silicon Macs (I'm thinking an October announcement covering iPhone and Mac).

clueless88

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2020
Is the crack on the outer protective "glass" or is it on the LCD? I attempted replacing just the protective glass on a mid 2012 13" MBP which had a mosaic like pattern--the LCD was perfectly fine. Apparently I was not quite OCD enough gently heating up the peripheral adhesive and managed to put too much pressure on the LCD screen and managed to damage the screen.

I ended up finding an excellent condition screen (complete with top cover) on eBay and replaced the whole top lid on the MBP--much less than it would have cost to have it repaired. Apparently the seller's MBP had a failed logic board and was parting out his MBP. Thankfully he took really good care of his MBP so the screen is pristine. I also have a spare MBP display glass ;).

Not too sure if replacing the screen is much different on the 15" 2014 model than the 2012 13".

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
If it was my money I would either:
  • wait for the Apple Silicon replacement,
  • look at replacing it with a used 2015 or so 15" unit (you probably want to avoid the 2016-2018 butterfly keyboard units),
  • or replace it with a 2020 13".
If a screen is $600 and a top case (battery, keyboard, trackpad, and Al case where you hands rest) replacement is $200, you are at $800. I find it hard to justify spending that sort of money on a 6+ year old system.

PatrycjaKozdra

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2015
Toronto
$200 is quite a bit for a replacement. I would try to get a new MacBook if you can, even save using a edu account or get a friend to help you with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.