Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

You can create custom sounds and ringtones for alerts, texts, phone calls, and more on your iPhone, but did you know the same functionality exists for vibrations?

Instead of using the set vibration patterns Apple has available, you can create your own vibrations using simple touch gestures. Here's how:
  1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Choose Sounds & Haptics.
  3. Select Ringtone, Text Tone, or another alert option from the list.
  4. Choose "Vibration" from the very top of the screen.
  5. Scroll down to "Custom."
  6. Choose "Create New Vibration."
From here, you can use taps to create short vibrations and a press to create longer vibrations, varying the two to create a unique vibration pattern.

Choose "Play" to test out your vibration pattern, and choose "Save" to give it a name and save it. Custom vibrations are available for all of the different native alerts on your phone, including ringtones, text tone, voicemail, mail, sent mail, calendar alerts, reminder alerts, and AirDrop.

Article Link: How to Create a Custom Ringtone Vibration on Your iPhone

whyamihere

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
'nati
Love this ability, did it years ago. I do it to the beat of Shivakamini Somakandarkram (aka Hava Nagila)...

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Yes but try to create a custom ringtone without iTunes and without paying. I'm surprised they allow this without having to pay for a custom vibration.

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

thommes

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2018
Bremen
Any suggestion of how to add a custom ringtone or alert-sound on iOS? It's so easy on Android, but I haven't figured out how to manage that using iOS.

Sefstah

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2015
Now try to create a ringtone from a song in iTunes without a computer. My old Motorola Razr could do it with any sound or mp3 on your phone or from an email attachment.

thommes

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2018
Bremen
Sorry, I don't use iTunes. Also don't use macOS or Windows. Only using Chromebooks, Androids an an iPad Pro.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
I set a lot of one-letter Morse vibrations years ago to the people I most often get texts from. Very handy indeed knowing which texts are worth checking. Watch makes these less useful though...

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
I usually downvote videos that have extremely ****** background music that does add NOTHING to the video. In this case made the video so much worse. You could have recorded the vibration sound, for example on a table.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.