Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hipster Whale, the developers behind the popular game Crossy Road, are expanding the franchise and introducing a new title, Crossy Road Castle, which is coming to Apple Arcade later this year.

The news was announced today via a trailer for the upcoming game, which features Crossy Road-style gameplay in a platform-like castle setting.

Crossy Road first came out in 2014 and soared to popularity thanks to its simple tap-based object avoidance gameplay and wealth of unlockable characters.

Crossy Road is available on multiple platforms, but given the mobile exclusivity restrictions for Apple Arcade, Crossy Road Castle will be available solely on the iPhone and won't come to Android.

Apple Arcade games are available on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and Mac, but not all games are available on all platforms. Crossy Road Castle, though, will be available on all devices that support Apple Arcade, according to GameSpot. Crossy Road Castle will include no in-app purchases or additional unlocks, and will be available as part of the $4.99 per month Apple Arcade subscription price.

Up to four players can play Crossy Road Castle collaboratively via a local connection, so friends and family members can play with one another.

There's no specific launch date for Crossy Road Castle, with Hipster Whale saying it's "coming soon."

Article Link: Crossy Road Castle Coming Soon to Apple Arcade

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
You know, with Apple touting how their chips are more powerful than xboxes, I have a question: Why the hell is this the kind of game that they're highlighting, and why the tell don't we yet have Call of duty, Forza, etc. on devices like the Apple TV? I mean, Why on earth do I still have an xbox at all, and since when did going back 20 friggin years to some crappy hipster version of Frogger become "progress," or worthy of mention? I mean, you'd think they'd try to hide such a terrible lack of execution on their video game front... Crazy...
/rant

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Bring back Nanosoar!

1570654463960.png

Saipher

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2014
California
Apple touting how their chips are more powerful than xboxes

Just curious, do you have the source where this was said? (By Apple obviously)

Also, even if true (the A series chip being more powerful), there is a lot more to a gaming console than its processor, like RAM size and speed, BUS speeds, and GPU. The ATV could have a faster processor but if it doesn’t have the rest, it will struggle to run AAA gaming titles like the ones you mentioned. Cooling is another very important factor to keep everything running smoothly, and ATV’s passive cooling won’t be enough.

I really hope that Apple takes gaming more seriously and heads in the direction of making the ATV more geared towards gamers, and who knows, with services such as Google Stadia and Microsoft’s xCloud, we might even be able to sign up for such services and use them in our ATVs in the future.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Just curious, do you have the source where this was said? (By Apple obviously)

Also, even if true (the A series chip being more powerful), there is a lot more to a gaming console than its processor, like RAM size and speed, BUS speeds, and GPU. The ATV could have a faster processor but if it doesn’t have the rest, it will struggle to run AAA gaming titles like the ones you mentioned. Cooling is another very important factor to keep everything running smoothly, and ATV’s passive cooling won’t be enough.

I really hope that Apple takes gaming more seriously and heads in the direction of making the ATV more geared towards gamers, and who knows, with services such as Google Stadia and Microsoft’s xCloud, we might even be able to sign up for such services and use them in our ATVs in the future.
Yeah, I think they said it was faster than the xbox a few A series chip unveils ago, and faster than the xbox one last year (A12?), so whichever keynote they unveiled those. I think it was when the first massive iPad came out, but I can't remember exactly.

Also, I think the form factor of the ATV will present many cooling issues, even though it does have a fan. My essential grievance is that Apple has the opportunity to really dominate the living room, and they've been systematically misexecuting for years now. If it needs more chips and ram, then make an ATV Pro and throw hardware at the problem, but I remember working at a Best Buy 6-7 years ago, thinking "wow, the whole gaming section is going to be gone soon." .... Still waiting, it's crazy.

Plus they're always talking about how this new iPhone game has however many million polygons or whatever, but there's never any port of any serious game on any serious console. They just recently let you pair Xbox and PS4 controllers, so maybe they're finally waking up, but it's a damn shame to not have at least had a pro version of the ATV, so people would really run out of reasons to buy PS4' and Xboxes. They've even got the could syncing online gameplay figured out. Just serious misexecution...

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
You know, with Apple touting how their chips are more powerful than xboxes, I have a question: Why the hell is this the kind of game that they're highlighting, and why the tell don't we yet have Call of duty, Forza, etc. on devices like the Apple TV? I mean, Why on earth do I still have an xbox at all, and since when did going back 20 friggin years to some crappy hipster version of Frogger become "progress," or worthy of mention? I mean, you'd think they'd try to hide such a terrible lack of execution on their video game front... Crazy...
/rant
Because it is a super funny local multiplayer game, perfect for AppleTV gaming nights with friends. Not all games needs realistic graphics. I’m very exited to play this with 4 nimbus on AppleTV.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Cute, but wake me up when Apex Legends (for example) is coming to Apple’s platforms! ?

Oh, sorry – wrong universe. ?

Last edited:

giebe

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2014
Germany
Well I was hoping for more games like Oceanhorn 2 and not these Gameboy color games. Apple Arcade should get more game like OH in terms of graphic.

Reactions: nvmls

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
I can play games like this for like 10 minutes, then I’m bored. Maybe it’s cool for little kids but I’m more interested in games with more depth. Apple always brags about their powerful chips, then highlight games that would probably run on the first iPad.

• Haha
Reactions: nvmls

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Need more stuff like this. I see Arcade as a supplementary thing and unlike some here I’m not wanting it to fulfill all AAA gaming criteria. ? The size requirements for full blown “core” titles would make it unachievable unless we can plug in external HDDs to AppleTV or something. It’s not at all uncommon for a single game to be ~100GB nowadays.

Practically speaking - Local multiplayer games are actually the area I think Arcade it’s currently most lacking in. This will be fun to play with family. They need to get people like ubisoft and harmonix on board too.

I’d love to see No Mans Sky (et al) on iOS though, it’s not too demanding of storage.. A lot could be done procedurally on hardware this powerful.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
/rant
The only time I think they did this was with Infinity Blade. God I miss that game...

Reactions: Z400Racer37

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
Well I was hoping for more games like Oceanhorn 2 and not these Gameboy color games. Apple Arcade should get more game like OH in terms of graphic.
I was looking forward to trying Oceanhorn 2 (I’ve never played the first one, but enjoy most Zelda and Mario games). I found the gameplay to be incredibly bland and clunky, and stopped after about half an hour. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’d rather play a new kind of game than a not-quite-as-good emulation of a Nintendo game.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
I can play games like this for like 10 minutes, then I’m bored. Maybe it’s cool for little kids but I’m more interested in games with more depth. Apple always brags about their powerful chips, then highlight games that would probably run on the first iPad.
Simple graphics is not that simple nowadays. original iPad would explode running this. Anyway there are many story driver games on Apple Arcade already, there are games for every genre already.
This title playing with 4 friends is perfect for party.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.