Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The monogram complication on Apple Watch is designed to let you choose up to four letters to appear on your watch's display. Previously it was only available on the Color watch face, but if you're a Series 4 owner, you can also use it on the new Infograph watch face.

customize-monograph-apple-watch-800x325.jpg

The idea behind the monogram is to let you add your initials to your watch display, but there's nothing stopping you from adding other characters. Emoji aren't supported, but most unicode characters are, including of course the Apple ? symbol.

You can find all manner of unicode characters on the web - try searching for "unicode faces" for some fun combinations. You could also download a unicode iPhone app like UniChar for a more complete selection. Just remember that you can only combine up to four characters in your monogram.

How to Add a Monogram to Your Apple Watch
  1. Copy the unicode character(s) you want to use in your monogram to your iPhone's clipboard. To copy from a web page, highlight the symbol(s) with a long press and then tap Copy from the popup menu.
  2. Next, launch the stock Watch app on your iPhone.
    customize-monograph-apple-watch01-800x573.jpg

Tap the My Watch tab if it's not already selected.
  3. Tap Clock.
  4. Tap Monogram.
  5. Paste the character(s) into the Monogram field.
    customize-monograph-apple-watch02-800x573.jpg

Now, return to the main menu in the My Watch tab, and a select a Color or Infograph watch face from My Faces. (If you're not yet using one, you can choose one from the Face Gallery.)
  6. If you're using an Infograph face, tap Sub-dial Top and choose Monogram. If you're using a Color face, make sure the Monograph toggle is on.
Once that's done, your monogram should show up the next time you switch to the Color or Infograph watch face on your Apple Watch.

Article Link: How to Customize the Monogram on Your Apple Watch

Tonkinite

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
Emoji are unicode. I’m guessing Emoji are disallowed because  doesn’t want people to make the colors clash. It’s almost as if it’s not really your watch, it’s still theirs.

Reactions: shadowbird423

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
I wish you could put the monogram on the bottom center of the Infograph watch face. You can put the Date complication in the bottom center, but not the Calendar complication.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Kinda fun. I guess this means though that you get one and only one monogram?

I would’ve liked on with my initials, another with just the apple. To switch between faces.

FourDegrees

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2017
I can't get it to work. Can't paste the copied character. I'm trying to get 1F3C3 on; It's a runner.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
This doesn't seem to work on the Series 3. As in, I can't paste unicode characters into the monogram field, not that the Infogram watchface isn't working (because it's not available on Series 3, lol).

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
This doesn't seem to work on the Series 3. As in, I can't paste unicode characters into the monogram field, not that the Infogram watchface isn't working (because it's not available on Series 3, lol).

That's weird. I got it to work fine on my Series 3.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

View attachment 789547

I believe it was meant that the Infogram face is not available on Series 3, not that the monogram doesn't work. :)

EDIT: but yes, the pasting does indeed work on Series 3 haha

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I believe it was meant that the Infogram face is not available on Series 3, not that the monogram doesn't work. :)

EDIT: but yes, the pasting does indeed work on Series 3 haha

lol no, I meant that I couldn't get a paste to work.

I'm gonna try again. Did you guys use UniChar or did you just search the appropriate character in Safari to copy and paste?

Edit: Apple specifically will not allow the Skull & Crossbones, Radioactive, or Biohazard characters.

Last edited:

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I wish the monogram could automatically show the current day of week and day of month like this :

TH27

Preferably with the day of month and day of week in different colors or background colors

Then I wouldn’t have to use up one of the larger complications to get that info

Reactions: RedGT and Grey Area

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
I wish the monogram could automatically show the current day of week and day of month like this :

TH27

Preferably with the day of month and day of week in different colors or background colors

Then I wouldn’t have to use up one of the larger complications to get that info
You could manually set the monogram to the day and date each morning.

Which is ridiculous, I realize, but it would serve your goal of "saving" a complication for something else.

hsotnicam8002

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
United Kingdom
Another facility my original watch doesn't support! :(

Good thing my Series 4 is on order! :D

UPDATE: Yes it does! Maybe cancel my Series 4? :confused:

Last edited:

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
It's interesting to me that this watch face design, and some others, seem to be going back to a skueomorphic graphic. It's subtle to be sure, but it's definitely emulating a real physical watch, made of metal and mechanical parts.

customize-monograph-apple-watch-800x325.jpg

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
Thats cool. Should be available on almost all the watch faces. I like how my name can fit in the 4 character limit. But i’ll probably end doing the apple logo thing

urbancity

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2009
It never occurred to remove all the complications on the Infograph watchface to obtain a simple, classy watchface.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.