Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
Before I explain the issue:

The bug report was closed. I hope they fix this bug in a future iOS 12 version.

Engineering has determined that your bug report (44875180) is a duplicate of 42426628 and will be closed.

The open or closed status of the original report your bug was duplicated to appears in a text box within the bug detail section of the bug reporter user interface. For security and privacy reasons, we don't provide access to the original bug yours was duped to.

An example of what the top of bug reporter's bug detail section with your bug and the duplicate bug's info looks like is included below:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Device is locked even without passcode or touch ID
Created on Sep 28, 2018 9:36 PM for [Product Name] [ OPEN ] [ DUPLICATE OF 42426628 | OPEN ]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note: "[Product Name]" above will be populated with the name of the Product you selected when the bug was initially created.

If you have any questions or concerns, please update your report directly at this link: https://bugreport.apple.com/.

Apple Developer Support
Worldwide Developer Relations
Summary: This is what's going on: in iOS 12 (current and final version):

Using: iPAD Pro 10.5, 256 GB wifi+cel

Settings: not using passcode or Touch ID.

Enabled these:
1) Lock screen when cover is closed
2) Lock after 15 minutes.

The issue I am having here is the following:

- Sometimes when I close the Smart Cover (which saves battery) and try to wake up the iPAD I'll need to either press the Home button or swipe up to continue.

I attached two screenshots from when this happened.

You might be asking: isn't this expected behavior? No. In iOS 10.3.2 I would be ALWAYS redirected to the home screen with all the icons. ALWAYS.

Even with these settings.

What I think it's happening here is that iOS 12 is somehow interpreting that closing the Smart Cover means locking the device. Well, that's what would happen if (and only IF) I was using a password (4? 6 digit?) and/or Touch ID. Since I am not using ANYTHING to lock my device the expected behavior would be to redirect me to home screen with all the icons in a split of a second.

And this is what is happening 99% of the time. However for some strange reason other times it isn't. I am not sure if this is only because I was playing some video/audio, or after 15 minutes.

Still I would be redirected to home screen after 15 minutes with iOS 10.3.2.

Believe me when I say this must be a bug, because if someone isn't using any password or Touch ID then it can't be locked and forced to press the Home button and swipe up to continue.

If I don't do one of them then the iPAD will remain locked.

Steps to Reproduce: Not sure how this happens in the first place. So I wouldn't know how to reproduce again.

Please fix this bug...

Expected Results: See above.

Actual Results: See above.

Version/Build: iOS 12 final (and current) version.

Configuration: iPAD Pro 10.5, 256 GB wifi+cel, model MPHG2LL/A.

Proof:

https://imgur.com/a/kOrNds0

Reactions: friednoodles

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
The bug report was closed.

But note that the bug that yours was marked as a duplicate of has a status of OPEN, so they consider it an active issue. Good idea to make the report, as duplicates of bugs help prioritise the bug as important.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
But note that the bug that yours was marked as a duplicate of has a status of OPEN, so they consider it an active issue. Good idea to make the report, as duplicates of bugs help prioritise the bug as important.
This bug is quite annoying, since I don't use any password or Touch ID, and sometimes when I close the Smart Cover (which is here configured to turn off the screen) and wakes up (by opening the said cover) the iPAD asks me to press Home button or swipe up.

This usually happens when there's a video playing, but can also happen at random. Turns out the default behavior is to redirect the user to the main screen, with all the icons. I have no idea why this isn't happening, but I can assure this is a bug since it never happened with iOS 10.3.2.

Like you said I suggest more people open a bug report complaining about the same issue, perhaps that way they will fix it.

https://bugreport.apple.com

(It only needs your Apple ID/password)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.