Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamaway

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
Can anyone explain what the 'System' keychain is in comparison to the 'iCloud' keychain on my Macbook?

When viewing the WIFI networks lists they appear to be almost identical within 'system' keychain and 'iCloud' keychain.

How do these relate to each other?

My assumption is that, with iCloud keychain enabled on both my iOS device and my macbook, is that any wifi network I connect to on my iOS device is added to the 'iCloud' keychain and then transferred also to the 'system' keychain. Is that right? If so, when does this happen?

When I have 'forgotten' a network on my iOS device, this seems to remove it from the iCloud keychain as expected, but will this network remain in the 'system' keychain viewable within keychain access on the Macbook?

Also, the 'date modified' data seems to be odd, with lots of networks listed as modified on the same date and time - what would cause this please?

It would be great if Apple could include a 'last accessed' column.

Many thanks for your help.

jocamero

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I've wondered the same thing for quite sometime. Hopefully someone here will have an answer for us.

lukeg01

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2014
Hello
If i'm not mistaken, the system key is local, meaning only that device can use it and the iCloud key syncs meaning it will be on your mac(s) and idevice(s)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.